Oil month Automotive HPC Magazine Deals Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Offline listening. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home Gift Guide Mother's Day gifts across Amazon Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Hostiles available to rent Hostiles available to rent Hostiles available to rent  Kids Edition Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now Start your Baby Registry

on April 18, 2014
I have a Graphtec data logger that takes a proprietary battery that costs a bloody mint. I spent some time looking at less expensive batteries, as I figured that the proprietary one was probably a relabeled mass-produced battery of some sort...and sure enough it's the Sony NP-F550. To check the compatibility, I bought two of these cheap Sony replacement batteries...mostly just to verify the size and voltage compatibility.

To my surprise the replacement is working like a champ: correct voltage and size in my application...and after a year of use the self discharge rate is still very acceptable (pretty much holding charge for several months between uses). For my application, there was no need to go off and buy the more expensive "name brand" batteries. These were one tenth the cost of the Graphtec batteries they replaced.

BTW...I don't charge the batteries in the Graphtec, which lacks the third charging terminal used by Sony. Instead, I bought a cheap "Battery Charger for SONY Li-Ion NP-FM500H NP-F550 NP-F570" from Amazon. It also works like a champ and charges the batteries just fine.
on May 31, 2014
I purchased 2 of these batteries to use with my Neewer CN-160 LED panel for my Nikon D5200. Shipping took a little longer than I expected but regardless I received them.

Charged both of them for 12 hours but one of them seems to not have the same amount of power as the other (it seems to never get a full charge) and dies faster than the other one. BUT, for $3, you can't complain. I don't even know how they make money on this battery when they sell it so cheap. But that's good for us! So all in all, I have no complaints. No brainer, especially for the money.
on February 4, 2017
I bought this item a couple of years ago. It's still working. A reasonable value for the price. I use it for the Neewer LED camera light I bought from Amazon.

When I check the charge level using the Neewer light it says that battery is at the 80% or 85% charge level immediately after charging. The Neewer LED light after I first bought this battery would indicate that the battery was charged 100% after charging.

It's either the Neewer light or this battery. I don't know which. The battery still works good.You can't expect a battery to last forever. I am happy with this purchase and would purchase the battery again.
on January 17, 2016
NP - F550

Great for energy output vs size. I primarily use them for portable LCD Monitors and 300 LED film lights. They are an alternative to several electronics that I use that opt for this battery or 6 AA batteries.
They have a decent charge time, usually around an hour for short use and 4 hours + to get a full days use from them.
I purchased them a year ago and they still work and hold a good charge.

Pros:
- Many film and portable items have the capability to use this type of battery, most Sony camcorders or cinema cameras, portable LCD Monitors and LED panels
- Inexpensive, and an overnight charge lasts very long depending on your product and output.

Cons:
- Purchased a few, one fell about 4 feet, and broke in two, superglued it, worked for about a week but has since died after. Plastic bodied, high density batteries, falls can take them out easily.
- Battery power can be very tricky as there is no accurate way to meter or gauge a full charge. Due to universal application and third party companies making their devices accept this type of battery it may die faster on some items and last longer on others.

OVERALL - They have lasted me for a year +. Very reliable for cost and being a third party item. Drop was a fault of mine, and I cannot take points away from inaccurate readings from non sony and off - brand adapters.

Would recommend.
on February 13, 2015
For my use I purchased this battery for a Neewer CN-160 LED lighting system to use with my cameras ands really have no complaints what so ever. The battery arrived without any juice ( I tested it) and took 4.5 hours to charge which in my book isn't too shabby.

Charged life seems to be about 4-5 hours of use before the drain is noticeable which isn't so great but then this isn't an extended battery. With the Neewer lighting you can power it with 5 double A which is a pain to have to keep replacing especially if your doing a long shoot or you can use one of two Sony Li-on batteries which make much more sense to me and save a good deal of time.

Add the extremely low price for an OEM battery ( I'm still suffering sticker shock for the Panny extended battery for my AG-HMC40 which was $150 on Amazon and $250 from Panasonic directly)

Although it drains faster than I expected, which of course may be the fault of the LED lighting and not the battery, but this is by no means a deal breaker. To find a battery at this low of a price is really a terrific deal - I already have another in my cart.

Highly Recommended
on November 10, 2012
Let me be clear, there are plenty enough horror stories on the Internet about how you can ruin a good camcorder with bad batteries. These stories are real, and companies like Sony have taken to putting special chips in their batteries to keep people from using them. Not only does this lock the customer into buying overpriced battery replacements, it also saves Sony some money from doing warranty repairs because that cheap battery wasn't made to Sony's specifications. While YOU would never call in a warranty on an item you'd knowingly damaged, there are people that would, and warranty repairs cost money.

Some replacement batteries are very high quality. Others are not. How do you know which is which? Trial and error is a little like Russian roulette with your camcorder. Tons of research is almost more trouble than it is worth, especially with 'plant' reviews. However, if there is no brand name on the battery or it is labeled Sony when you know it isn't, I wouldn't trust it out the gate. The batteries I received had no brand markings on them. So no, I don't trust them.

That said, I bought them to go in my LED light. For that, they are working wonderfully and I have no complaints. They are rechargeable and cheaper than AAs if I get 2 full uses out of them. I do not KNOW that they are not good enough for a camcorder, but I would not try it. They work fine for my light though, and neither one has failed me.
11 comment| 32 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on August 1, 2015
I bought two of these for use in a CN-216 LED video light. Since the CN-216 can also run off of (6) AA batteries, I tested runtime with the AAs and with each of these generic NP-F550 batteries. Also, I measured EV of the light every half-hour, so as to see how it changed during the run time. One F550 lost 1/3 stop of light after the first half hour, an additional 1/3 the 2nd, 7/3 the 3rd had hour, and then effectively died before 2 hours was up. The second F550 lost 1 stop after the first half hour, 1 stop after the 2nd, an additional 1/3 after the third half hour and then effectively died before 2 hours was up. Both batteries started out with an EV a little over 10 (measured at about 6ft away in a dark room). It was a surprise that the batteries differed so much from each other in their performance. I tested these batteries twice, and although these numbers changed slightly, each battery was consistent with itself on how fast/slow it lost power.
The 6 eneloop batteries (I believe they are 3rd generation 2100mAh) lost 2/3 stop after the first half hour, an additional 4/3 stop the second half hour, no loss the 3rd half hour, 1 stop the 4th half hour, 4.3 stop the 5th had hour. I stopped the test at this point.
With the eneloop batteries, the starting EV was about 1/2 stop less than with the F550.The light loss across the two F550s and the envelop were about the same after 90 minutes, but after where the F550 died, the envelops get pushing out some amount of light (5.23 EV after 2.5 hours).
A 12-pack of 4th generation AA eneloops is a little more than the cost of 3 of these generic F550s. So, three of these generic F550s should give you 4.5 hour (3x 90 minutes) of decent light before they die. Considering the I tested with 3rd generation envelops, a 12-pack should give you 3 hours of decent light, and then another 2-3 hours of soft light. Which way you go depends on your lighting need.
I could not give these generic F550s a 5 star rating because I can’t say how they compare to Sony branded batteries. I could not give them a 4 star rating because the batteries’ performance were not consistent with each other, making lighting reliability unpredictable.
Can anyone provide details on how Sony brand NP-F550 batteries perform?
on September 13, 2017
Wed 9/13/2017 7:18 pm. Here I was fuming while it was taking forever for the charger to turn green -- but that was because of the vast 2500mAh capacity of the battery! The little booklet for the charger listed 1000mAh as 120 minutes, so obviously more than twice that took more than 4 hours, and so it did.

I got it as a spare for a ridiculous 2001 Sony Mavica diskette camera, in which it worked good, except it was a little hard to get out. But that I'll live with; the important part is the camera works with it.
on January 15, 2013
I ordered 2 and they came pretty quickly. One seems fine, but the other was completely dead and wouldn't even register on my charger. SF Planet are easy to contact and sent me a replacement (where I just slipped in the defective one, re-sealed the envelope and put the sticker they sent back on to mail off.) But the replacement was defective too. This hopefully isn't common, but it's really annoying. Contacted them again, so now they're just waiting for the one I shipped back to show up and they'll refund (I'd prefer they send me one that has been tested, but instead I get to start over and find another place to buy from.)

I've been shooting now for two weeks and could have used the backup battery, but now I'm sure it won't be until next week that I get it.

Hopefully no one else has this issue. Like I said, SF Planet are easy to contact, but I'd rather get a product that works.

EDIT: Went ahead and took it all the way down to one star because they never gave me a refund. I mailed it back over a month ago, and never heard from them, don't see anything on my card, and am just really annoyed. I just sent them an email asking them what their deal is, so we'll see. There have been multiple times having a working backup battery would have helped a lot, but nope.
on November 9, 2016
1) I ordered this as a backup battery for my LimoStudio 160 LED Video Light Lamp Panel. Both the light and the battery came at the same time. This battery, however, was flawed from the start. It didn't fit the charger or light correctly and after three tries to get it in the terminal on the battery came loose and fell out. Not good.
2) The seller emailed me asking if I was happy with the purchase. I responded I was not and why I wasn't. Within hours they emailed back and said a replacement battery would be sent immediately. Four days later the battery arrived and I'm pleased to say it works just fine.

Great customer service!