Industrial Deals Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports toystl17_gno
Customer Discussions > Fallout: New Vegas - PC forum

Requires Steam to play

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 116 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 9, 2010, 5:55:51 AM PDT
Jaded Gamer says:
http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/64175

You will have to use Valve's Steam client if you want to play this game on the PC.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2010, 11:02:05 AM PDT
B. Stanley says:
I really do not know why people hate steam especially here on https://amazon.com.

I personally like steam and I am addicted to its achievement system. Well I guess this is good news for those who like steam.
We will have access to the new G.E.C.K (SDK for new Vegas) when the game comes out.

Plus The Caravan Bundle over on steam offers Way more than the amazon.com version. Fallout 3 GOTY is free when you pre-order new vegas Plus you get allot of Cool and useful in game items.

Posted on Jun 13, 2010, 9:41:04 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 14, 2010, 6:02:35 PM PDT
Dude above me: don't know where you're looking but on my steam store page you do not get anything but the caravan extras. Fallout 3 goty is $25 and not included with the preorder.

edit: now it's back up to $50

Posted on Jun 16, 2010, 8:58:23 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jun 16, 2010, 9:22:56 AM PDT]

Posted on Jun 21, 2010, 2:10:49 PM PDT
Nadine says:
I Loved FO3 =0)
I hate having to sign up for extra stuff or be online to play games by myself.
I had to use Steam to play Half Life (Orange Box) and it irritated me that I had to set up an account & sign in to play.
I don't care about achievements & extra stuff either, so it's really just a hastle for people who like playing alone without being bothered.

Posted on Jun 24, 2010, 5:29:21 AM PDT
Jacob. B says:
"I hate having to sign up for extra stuff or be online to play games by myself"

its called offline mode you dont have to be online to play any games

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 7, 2010, 5:38:20 PM PDT
Nadine says:
Offline mode - I didn't recall seeing that option when I loaded Half Life. . next time I play it I'll check that out.
thanks =)

Posted on Jul 8, 2010, 6:29:06 PM PDT
Steam is awesome... I really have no idea why the complaints.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 9, 2010, 10:17:45 AM PDT
Nadine says:
The complaints come because not everyone wants to go thru another system to play a video game & do all the sign up & downloading stuff.
I personally prefer to play my games alone, offline and dont' care about any of the other stuff.
So for people who prefer that, Steam is an unecessary step they force on us.
Then again, if there's an option to play offline and not join Steam, then I don't have much to complain about. It should simply be an option.

What happens if Steam were to cease existing and you want to play your game next time?

Posted on Jul 21, 2010, 5:50:08 PM PDT
diesel says:
steam likes to update out of the blue even when you have it turned off

Posted on Jul 23, 2010, 1:20:29 PM PDT
It'll get hacked eventually, then you won't have to worry about Steam, whether you bought it or not....

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 24, 2010, 4:32:32 PM PDT
Ryan L. says:
MY complaint in being forced to use Steamworks is that they basically think for me when it comes to installation options. I have a 250GB partition just for Steam games... it has 13GB free. If Steam would let me install to oh, let's say, one of the OTHER three partitions I have on my computer (without having to play around with the annoying "tricks" for the Steamapps folders), then I wouldn't have an issue.

It's redundant to offer a PHYSICAL purchase that is going to force you to use the digital system with Steamworks. Why bother offering physical media if we don't have a choice where and how to install it? It just becomes a waste of materials.

I'll admit that I like the auto-updating and the no-disk-needed system... but it's the year 2010. I am sure the twits over on Steam could allow for multiple folder installs by now. Oh, and God forbid you don't have an internet connection for "some" Steamworks games. Most offer "Offline Mode", but there are some that just give you the digital bird unless you are signed in.

Posted on Aug 25, 2010, 2:23:32 AM PDT
Josh says:
And what about people that DONT have access to an internet connection? Im deployed to Iraq right now, and most of us in my office are gamers. We dont have access to steam. What are we supposed to do to play the new games?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 26, 2010, 2:35:42 PM PDT
Nadine says:
GOD BLESS YOU GUYS!! you rock!

Ya great question - what ever happened to installing a game and just playing it alone on your PC???
Well Supposedly you don't have to log in as someone else said, but when I played Half Life, I didn't see any option to play outside Steam.
I must have missed it (that's not unusual for me tho)
:/
Thanks for protecting us !

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 28, 2010, 7:01:43 AM PDT
Verkinix says:
My beef isn't with using Steam. My beef is severely limited competition. If all copies of the game are forced to use steam to play, regardless of where it was purchased, then future game purchases are far more likely to go directly toward steam as customers are more greatly exposed to Steam. In the long term, this will bring Steam to a "90's Microsoft" level where Steam can dictate how games are distributed, how much they cost, and whether or not to one day charge a service fee to use the Steam interface itself. Personally, I would rather not pay monthly to play games I've already spent money on.

Competition is essential for good business and consumer fairness. Requiring one platform over another severely limits that. I have no problem with a few first party games being exclusive to one platform, but when alot of 3rd party developers/publishers are favoring one and no longer selling to others, it's not a good thing.

Also, if a game releases using steamworks, there is no possibility of reselling it due to it being tied to the account. This means that if a game is abysmal, you cannot recoup any of your loss on it. You basically just ate the full cost of a poorly made game. I'm not saying that Fallout or any other steamworks game is necessarily bad, but the potential is still there.

Anyway, I have no problem with using steam. I have a problem with being FORCED to use steam. Typically if I buy a game through a retail outlet, I'm purposely avoiding the digital distribution market. With Steamworks, you are forced to create an account if you dont already have one and forced to log in, which means required internet connection, whenever you want to play. Steam does have an offline mode, but it still requires you to be online in order to set it up initially.

For me, personally, I will likely wait for a GOTY edition that is under $20 of this game. I loved Fallout 3 and will likely love this game, but I wont support the full amount of steamworks. It's the same with Civilization 5.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 6, 2010, 6:58:45 AM PDT
Regulas says:
I'll take STEAM any day over the abomination known as Games for Windows Live which was the only downfall for the Fallout 3.

Posted on Oct 2, 2010, 4:16:41 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 2, 2010, 4:17:29 AM PDT]

Posted on Oct 5, 2010, 11:27:01 AM PDT
Steam will kill any game ratings. Just look at Civilization 5.

Wait until you get all the 1-star DRM fear monglers that will take this game to the dump.

Posted on Oct 5, 2010, 11:47:02 AM PDT
NOt a fan of forcing an online connection for DRM purposes... but Steam is a massive improvement over GFWL that I had to use for FO3. Geeze. DOes anyone remember the fun and games shifting files around to get get DLC to work? Never happen with Steam...

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 6, 2010, 1:45:55 AM PDT
Chris Buse says:
yeah, its starting to seem they're pushing consumers towards having to buy a game with 'selected' extras. i don't want a membership, i don't want a lease, i want to buy it, install and not have to think about anything more than an occassional optional patch...IF THAT. when you buy a program it shouldn't need 5 or 6 patches before it runs with no probs.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 6, 2010, 9:32:17 AM PDT
H.Le says:
mam219,

"Steam will kill any game ratings. Just look at Civilization 5."

If you read the reviews carefully, it is clear that the reason for Civ 5's heavy criticism is not due to Steam; it's the game itself.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 6, 2010, 9:35:38 AM PDT
H.Le says:
Clayton Cahill,

I am not a big fan of Steam either, but I also think it is better than GFWL. I had my GFWL negative experience with Batman: Arkham Asylum (the game itself is great) way back and it still leave a bad taste.

Posted on Oct 6, 2010, 1:07:41 PM PDT
H. Le

You will soon find that once any sort of DRM is announced, such as requiring Steam, trolls will soon follow.

Half the 1-star Civ 5 reviews are from people who never even played the game.

I am just warning you.

Posted on Oct 6, 2010, 1:52:27 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 6, 2010, 2:04:58 PM PDT
H.Le says:
mam219,

As long as DRM keeps forcing unnecessary restrictions on Customers but remains useless against piracy, you will always have Customers speaking out agaisnt it -- And rightfully so. I have witnessed this fact since the StarForce days.

PS. I still disagree with you about the 1-star Civ 5 reviews. There are many more bad reviews about the gameplay and technical issues from Customers who are dissastified with the game than bad reviews from Customers who merely want to protest against Steam. Anyone who disagree, please read the Amazon Civ-5 reviews and decide for yourself.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 6, 2010, 8:58:38 PM PDT
How many of those negative reviews are from people with no review history who aren't "Amazon Verified Purchases" though?
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  51
Total posts:  116
Initial post:  Jun 9, 2010
Latest post:  Apr 29, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 10 customers

This discussion is about
Fallout: New Vegas - PC
Fallout: New Vegas - PC by Bethany House Ministries Inc (Windows 7 / Vista / XP)
3.7 out of 5 stars (402)