Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Rereading America, 8th Edition (Book & CD-ROM)
Amazon Vehicles Fall Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Water Sports STEM

on August 29, 2014
Rented this book for a college freshman English course. Book was well organized and contained more than enough readings and discussion/writing prompts. Unfortunately, this really appears to be more of a worldview textbook than a writing textbook. There were many selections and writing prompts that were geared toward exploring homosexuality, gender issues and same sex marriage. These also also included visual images to prompt thought. When searching the other sections of the same course, most of the faculty actually chose writing and rhetoric textbooks. (that is what one would expect a college composition course to use.) Decided to switch sections since I was seeking (and paying for) a true English composition course. Amazon was great about refunding the rental fee.
on June 2, 2014
In a bind i had to rent this book digitally in order to have it on hand for a trip i was on. However without disclaimer they remove several key sections of the text used by many professors. This digital book is a rip off and a waste of time and money and i regret it completely.
on October 12, 2015
Potential readers for English class beware: There are a few assignments that I had to find a different copy of the writing because they have some lame copy-writing issue. A stronger review was denied by Amazon due to foul language. It is a good thing I am in English class so I can learn to express myself properly, if I can actually complete the readings.

this selection has been omitted intentionally
in this electronic version due to digital
permissions /copyright issues.
regrettably, we cannot make this piece
available to you in a digital format.

Colombo, Gary; Cullen, Robert; Lisle, Bonnie (2013-04-19). Rereading America (Page 196). Bedford/St. Martin's. Kindle Edition.
on September 29, 2012
Now that I have read numerous textbooks used in English 101 classes, I feel I can safely say that Rereading America is the best one out there. I was going to swtich to another book to use in my classes, but no other book was as good a spring board for students to write about. While some students loved it or hated it, the book provided a good jumping off point for students to write. One negative though is that the 6th edition is better than the 8th edition. It is longer and has slightly better essays.
on January 26, 2013
The book is made up of many different essays on a wide variety of topics. The best way to read it is in small group settings so you can discuss the material. Authors are from all generations past and present. I highly recommend. After my class I will be keeping this one on my personal library shelf.
on July 21, 2014
This textbook is a well-organized college-grade textbook with many topics based on current events. However, the book is very one-sided on many issues presented. Many reviewers would complain that the book is too "liberal" and they wouldn't be wrong in my opinion. It would have been preferred to see a more balanced presentation of both sides' arguments. However, that doesn't necessarily take away from the rest of what the book offers. Many good essays, some are great, while some are terrible and out of place for any school textbook. It's not the one I'd have chosen, but if the editors fix these issues, this would be a great textbook for critical thinking and writing, as it's advertised for.
on January 21, 2013
The book "Rereading America" is great to learn how to read and write critically.
And then writing is the hardest part in the four skills in English, so this book can give a new
idea for writers how to use it.
on September 29, 2012
I love this book. It contains quite a few classic works and offers a new spin on certain recent events. It comes with an online feature that I thought was kind of nice and could be useful to some people. The books not too thick and contains pretty decent quality pictures. I was glad to have bought this book instead of renting or buying used.
on February 28, 2015
I do not recommend getting this text book for Kindle. Whole swaths of text are omitted because they weren't given permission to have them in electronic format and it's nonsense when you realize you need to actually read an assignment for a class. I went the kindle route for a few of my class books hoping to cut back on the number of books I have to lug around and it's been a disappointing experiment so far.
on June 12, 2011
i had to buy this book for an english course in college, but i have to say i definitely fell in love with all the stories and articles in this book. definitely makes you think about things in a different way and makes you re-evaluate some of your beliefs. it's a great learning tool.