- File Size: 1100 KB
- Print Length: 38 pages
- Simultaneous Device Usage: Unlimited
- Publication Date: November 25, 2013
- Sold by: Amazon Digital Services LLC
- Language: English
- ASIN: B00CLHO8YY
- Text-to-Speech: Enabled
- Word Wise: Enabled
- Lending: Enabled
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #24,288 Free in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Free in Kindle Store)
|Digital List Price:||$0.99|
Save $0.99 (100%)
To Rescue General Gordon (a steampunk short story) (Clockwork Imperium Book 1) Kindle Edition
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Customers who bought this item also bought
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?
Top Customer Reviews
Within the parameters of a short story, the author was quite skillful in creating characterization. Looking at just the two main protagonists, we know that James is rash, adventurous, courageous, heroic, and has the personality to talk someone into his mad schemes. He is the kind of person who acts without fully weighing the consequences and he is loyal. However, Henry is pragmatic, contemplative, thinks and weighs the consequences before he acts. He is heroic, loyal and courageous. Henry suffered the loss of his father, who is one of his heros, and this influences his decisions, because he wants to emulate his father. We know all of this because the author let the actions, dialogue and thoughts of the characters speak for themselves. While being succinct, he still managed to convey enough information that his characters came alive. Mind you, they were a bit larger than life, but that is acceptable in this kind of adventure story.
I think the target audience is adolescents or young adults. I am on the wrong side of sixty and I still enjoyed it and would like to read more of the further adventures of Henry and James. I recommend this book for the younger crowd, as well for adults who can appreciate this type of story for what it is. Don't look for Kafka; think Kipling or Twain with a modern alternate history twist.
The main short coming of this short story is that it is so short. The characters didn't have time to develop. However, that's bound to happen in a story this concise. Also, while the story has moments where it really shines with well chosen verbs and nouns, there were times when a word or sentence didn't make much sense in it's context. Perhaps if the author had gotten a (or another) proofreader this could have been ironed out quickly.
Nonetheless, don't let these criticisms discourage you from picking up the book. It is WELL worth the read!
I will be looking for more of Mr. Medved's work.
~It was a short story. I know that by the very nature of the short story, one does not get a whole lot of background or character development. This story really felt me wondering about who Henry and James really were and what motivated them. This is the intro to a longer series. However, upon inspection of book s two and three, they are also short stories. (I did not feel that they were worth my effort to pursue the series past this first book.)
~There was action and adventure and a daring rescue…there simply wasn’t enough in this story for my liking.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Adventure
- Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Galactic Empire
- Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Steampunk
- Kindle Store > Kindle Short Reads > One hour (33-43 pages) > Literature & Fiction
- Kindle Store > Kindle Short Reads > One hour (33-43 pages) > Science Fiction & Fantasy
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Adventure
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Galactic Empire
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Steampunk