Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Paperwhite Trade it in. Fund the next. Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Format: Video Game|Change

Showing 1-10 of 203 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 403 reviews
on January 22, 2011
I realize this game has been reviewed to death here at Amazon but I figured I would add my own two cents considering I am not a regular fan of the series. The only Resident Evil game I have played in the past was Resident Evil 2 and I never played the much accalimed Resident Evil 4 so I will not be comparing this game to that classic. I will be judging Resident Evil 5 on itself alone and what it tries to be compared to what it ends up being.

First off, I played this game through on coop with a friend as it clearly was not designed with singleplayer in mind. I will not comment much on singleplayer as my time with it was limited but thanks to the limited A.I. of Sheva, your partner, you spend a large chunk of your time babysitting her and monitoring her inventory instead of enjoying yourself. It's perfectly playable on singleplayer, but this game was made for a cooperative experience.

Moving on to coop, Resident Evil 5 is a fun game with a friend. It is not the best out there and suffers from some awkward game design decisions but you should have a good enough time playing through this game with a human partner. During my playthrough I noticed that the game had a rather dated feel to it underneath the gorgeous coat of polish. The graphics in this game are quite impressive, even in split screen coop. The screen is split in a way where the top view is not directly above the bottom view, but where the top screen is to the left of the top portion of your tv and the bottom screen is to the right. There is a blank black space to one side of each screen which I felt could have been used for U.I. data such as ammo count, health and the mini-map so none of this obstructs your view when playing the game. The blank space is just a waste of space imo.

The characters are quite detailed, they look good, the enemies are just as impressive and the bosses can be a sight to behold. The environments are just as meticulously detailed with some impressive lighting effects in certain levels but there is not nearly as much object interaction or environmental destruction as I would have liked (such as shooting out lights) and the level design is very linear. Nice looking levels but I feel as if I am being pushed along from point A to B on a set and predetermined path which makes the levels feel much smaller and confined than they should.

The gameplay is where the mixed emotions come with this game. Yes it is fun, but it seems as if it could have been much better had they just added in some basic controls that are commonplace today. I never did quite get used to having to stop dead in my tracks to aim my weapon and fire, it's just awkward. The game does not even allow the player to reload while on the movie, you have to come to a complete stop. Stopping would be fine if it was to steady your aim but it would just make sense for the game to allow you to shoot, or at least reload, while on the move to provide for a more fluid gameplay experience. There are also no evasive maneuvers in the game either which make the controls feel even more restrictive and there is no designated melee button, just a QTE option which appears if you stun an opponent with a gun shot. This QTE driven melee I found to be unintuitive and a hassle. The one move you have in the game to make your character more nimble is a side strafe, which is as basic as it gets, but at least it's still there. You can sprint too, thankfully.

The aiming and shooting itself works just fine though. It's a pretty old system, but I took pleasure in using it. Challenging enough where you have to steady your aim to get that perfect shot but accessible enough where you don't waste too many bullets and suddenly find yourself out of ammo. Shooting and killing is fun and the weapon selection is decent but nothing too special. There are a couple special weapons in the game which are very cool to use but they can only be used in certain spots.

The sound of the weapons is a little underwhelming, particularly the shotgun which just didn't have the Boom I would expect it to have. Environmental sound effects were much better and the voice acting was decent. The story was forgettable, but perhaps that is because I'm not too familiar with the RE lore considering I only played one other game in the series.

The one game in the franchise I played before this, RE2, was true survival horror. It scared the crap out of me in certain areas, I will never forget that room with the two way mirror where I just knew something would jump out of it, and eventually something did, as soon as I stopped expecting it. That game got me everytime, it was an amazing experience. I knew going in that Resident Evil 5 would be an action game so I will not take points off like some for it not being scary at all, but it's not a grade A action experience either. It just isn't as good as other top quality, high octane shooters out there because of the restictive controls. Even Dead Space, which is a much slower paced game that relies on horror more than action, felt more flexible with it's controls. I just didn't see the reason to keep the constricted survival horror controls of the old days in what is now an all out, unapologetic action shooter. It feels like this game has an identity crisis where it can't completely let go of the past, yet wants to evolve into something else. Still definitely worth a look, I just hope the series finds itself in the next installment.

There is also a horde like Mercenaries mode at the end which I played for a bit but I am not too big a fan of these types of modes.

Pros:
- Graphics
- Boss Fights
- Coop Gameplay
- Fun Action

Cons:
- Gun Sounds
- Restictive Controls
- Convoluted Story with a predictable twist
- Frustrating Single Player thanks to bad partner A.I.
- Linear levels with a set path that feel confined

As a letter grade I would give Resident Evil 5 a "C"
on March 20, 2012
As a long-time fan of the RE series I was a little bit disappointed with the game. I loved the characters, especially Sheva. Unfortunately the storyline lacks the quality you see in other 3rd person shooters on the xbox like Gears of War. The A.I. is nonexistent as far as your partner is concerned using up your herbs when a nail is broken or not backing you when the enemies get overwhelming. After coming from such a great game like RE4 I think we all expected a experience similar or better than it's predecessor.

Multiplayer is very good as well as co-op, nothing better than another human being taking over Sheva and playing single player. For the price of 15 it's a good pick, especially with RE6 coming out this fall.
on July 24, 2017
This game single-handedly occupied all of my free time from spring of 2009 through summer of 2010. Good times, great memories.
on April 20, 2011
Resident Evil 5 is Resident Evil 4, but in Africa, and instead of parasites popping out of people's bodies, you fight swirling dick-monsters. By that I mean: the main biological horror looks like a bunch of dicks, as in the male reproductive organ.
RE 5 picks up where RE 4 left off...sort of? The connections aren't clear, we're introduced to a bunch of characters like we already know who they are, and the story of the Las Plagas being the root of the T-Virus is vague and uninteresting.
Without an interesting story, the game basically has to rely on gameplay, which is just RE 4 gameplay: over the shoulder POV, fighting against crazy people, the occasional swirling dick-monster. *Sigh* Whatever happened to zombies? Additionally, the mechanics of the gameplay seemed to degenerate from RE 4-- things seem claustrophobic and sluggish to me.
Jill Valentine does make an appearance though, which is...kinda cool? She's cute with her blonde hair, but her involvement in the storyline is negligible. It's like "Hey, it's Jill!...Oh, she has little to do with the plot? Oh...okay".
Overall, I'm planning on taking my copy to the local Gamestop and trading it in.
on January 11, 2017
this was solely bought for collection purposes, but it actually quite fun and addicting
on July 6, 2017
Good
on May 4, 2010
Resident Evil 5 for the Xbox360 takes the winning revamped formula of RE:4 and dilutes it a bit. Chris Redfield(RE:1/Code Veronica) returns to finally do away with arch villain Albert Wesker for good. Like Leon Kennedy taking on the "non-zombies" of Spain in RE:4, Redfield takes on "non-zombies" in Africa. The graphics are superb and the majority of the gameplay elements from RE:4 are found in this game, like the over the shoulder camera angle, collecting money and tons of ammo,upgrading your weapons and cinematic cut scenes which you get involve by pressing certain button combinations. You also have a female partner, Sheva, who plays along side you and a 2nd player can control her to make the adventure a little easier. While RE:4 & 5 are very similar, I just didn't quite enjoy 5 as much. It may be because RE:4 had some creepy moments, even though the survival-horror aspect was pretty much non-existent. It was just darker to me, especially the village and castle areas. RE:5 is not a bad game and i'm not sayin you shouldn't try it, but it's such a far cry from the early titles.
on March 17, 2017
Loved It
on September 13, 2010
Other than some minor quibbles this is a great single player game. It has the usual fault for a game in this action shooter genre:

1. some levels are more fun that others. You wont want to do the dark level cave more than once ever for example. Other levels are awesome however.

2. some bosses are simply tedious to kill during your first play through. You are given low power weapons. It takes no skill just time. On replays you can beef up your weapons which is a great thing but that first play thru the bosses were great to look at but tedious to kill.

3. The aim is not precise enough. This is I suppose partly intentional on the game designers' part but the game gives you little gun ammunition, so a lazy aiming reticule can be annoying in a firefight. You can accelerate the aiming reticule as a game option but it doesnt help. If there was one thing about the game that brings it down to 4 stars this is the thing. Not a gamebreaker but certainly annoying.
on September 27, 2009
Resident Evil 5 is much more action than horror,not like the other games in the RE library.RE 5 takes place in Africa were Chris Redfield looks for answers with his new partner Sheva Alomar.The graphics are very detailed with backgrounds and dust swirling look amazing.The music really isn't that horror filled with the rest of the RE titles.The controls are just about the same as RE4 you still can't shoot and move at the same time,making you vulnerable to get hit.The AI partner dies more than you will, making you start the level all over again,something I did not like.She waste a lot of ammo which is not really all that necessary.But it has co-op where you and a friend can play as either Chris or Sheva making the game a lot better.After you finish the game they have a Mercenaries mode where you have to kill as much infected as you can in the amount of time given on the screen.I give this game a 3 in fun because I thought they would improve the controls from RE4,not much horror,and the the AI is slow.But overall it's a 4 because the graphics,levels,Mercs mode,and co-op.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.