BCA Month Salon Beauty Fall Reading Hallo nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Electronics Gift Guide $69.99 Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon curbpremiere curbpremiere curbpremiere  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

Customer reviews

on June 8, 2012
I hate to give books harsh reviews, but this one just wasn't what I thought it was going to be, despite having viewed the preview pages on the product listing before I purchased the book. This book might have been alright if I had never played with the program before starting to read this guide. My biggest issue is that a lot of the techniques described in this book are no-brainers. You don't want a cloned spot to look cloned? well then make sure you are matching color/texture. Well, duh! I wanted more guts, nuts, and bolts of the program... more of the why you would want to use this feature over another one. Or more on what the functions of the features are.

Don't get me wrong, the step by step stuff in here is great if you haven't ever worked with editing programs before, but I think I was hoping for more advanced technique and why I should do one step before another step to expediate work flow. Pretty much the first (intro) chapter (i.e. the first ~25 pages) you can skip and not really miss anything. So why are they there?! Don't waste my time tooting the program's horn... I wouldn't have bought the book if I didn't already have the program and have a desire to use it.

I guess the main point I am trying to get across here is that if you have never used the program and you have a steep learning curve ahead, this book might be okay for you (3-4 stars). For someone who already knows some of the ins and outs from experimentation and just plain fiddling with functions, find a different book. I am currently waiting on PaintShop Photo Pro X3 For Photographers and I think from looking at the preview of pages from the Amazon listing that it will be a better match for someone with a bit more experience with the paintshop pro x3 program. Another book that I am going to look into is Picture Yourself Learning Corel PaintShop Photo Pro X3. Stay tuned and I will let you know if those books turn out to be better sources.

Oh, and FYI the quickest way to learn what features do in Paintshop Pro X3 is to take a picture in the program and first thing figure out how to duplicate the layer. Then go to town and play with all the tools to see what they do. By having the duplicated layer you have preserved your original photo (as long as you make sure you stick to the duplicated layer when playing around).

I hope this review helps anyone who is trying to decide whether to get the book or not.
on October 19, 2010
In addition to purchasing this Second addition, I also purchased, read and enjoyed the First addition.
I was looking for information on how to use this software not necessarily how to restore old photos. Don't be fooled by the full title. I use 99% of the procedures in this book for pictures I take that have one issue or another that I need to correct in post production. My Models are never as perfect as they end up in my final images.
These books are extremely informative and easy to follow with screen shoots and step by step procedures. Best of all, they are sprinkled with humor, sometimes corny but always gave me a chuckle.
If you want to learn this software and what it can do for you for any kind post work, I highly recommend this book. My work flow is different from Roberts but I wouldn't of been able to come up with my own without the help I received in reading the information here.
As for the other review, I had no problem with the binding on either addition.
on January 15, 2012
This is an excellent guide to retouching photos using Corel PaintShop Photo Pro.. This does reduce the steep learning curve,
on August 21, 2010
because, after a week of occasionally glancing through it, it started to fall apart.
It seems to be of use for a very narrow field of interest.
Thanks to a generous seller (Booknmama), I was able to return the book for a full refund, before I needed a binder to keep it together.