Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Resuscitation
Amazon Vehicles GoldBox Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Water Sports

Format: Audio CD|Change

on October 18, 2011
RESUSCITATION is one of those thrillers that grips you from the beginning as it describes Genevieve's predicament and doesn't let go. Ex-detective Sami Rizzo returns in a devilish plot twists and writhes in a python-like manner, made even more terrifying as it is all believable. The deeply troubled villain is not lacking in conscience and struggles with his own motivation in a manner that reflects the plot as he is pursued by the equally well drawn Rizzo. The violence is as vividly described as the characters and settings, so people with weak stomachs should either avoid reading this, or better yet have a sick-bag at hand!

The writing is fantastic with a perfect balance of description, action and character development that brings this tense and moody tale to life. With a few good twists thrown in to keep you on your toes and an ending that doesn't let you down, this is one I highly recommend and certainly hope that Annechino does carry on the Rizzo series with another instalment.
VINE VOICEon November 13, 2011
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The second in a series, after the first Sami Rizzo book, "They Never Die Quietly", "Resuscitation" starts very well and flows along but never grabbed me. Part of the problem may be the cliched language the author uses: would a top medical doctor
really think "I had sore muscles where I didn't even know I had
muscles"? Then there's the whole problem of having two detectives
assigned to work together on catching an active serial killer who are living together in a romantic relationship, and everybody knows it and talks about it, but nobody ever mentions any possible problem with that. Maybe in some dinky small town where there only are two homicide detective, but this is San Diego! There are various other obvious plot defects that I won't mention to avoid spoilers.

It's tough to build a lot of suspense when we know right from the
beginning who the killer is and why he's doing it. It makes the book very straightforward, without a lot of twists and turns, as it just isn't the kind of book where the killer's going to escape in an ambiguous ending. All of the characters are quite simple, and explained clearly although I didn't find the killer all that realistic and believable.

I didn't hate the book -- it was a pretty good read, and I liked Sami and her romance. I had the feeling that the author was writing about people he knows well. But it just wasn't as good as it could have been if it had been better written and more subtle. Those of us who enjoyed the first book will want to check in again on Sami. But I wouldn't start with this one.
66 comments| 37 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 12, 2011
This book had the potential to be good, but that was crushed by the revelation of the killer's true identity.

That revelation was a cop-out. Any dramatic/emotional tension that had been established early throughout the first 9/10 of the book (and there is a good bit of it) is completely and utterly destroyed in the end. I finished this book and said "Huh???... that makes no sense at all."

Sorry if this is a bit obtuse, but if I said more I'd give the story away (which I'm tempted to do just so you don't read it).
4141 comments| 67 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 22, 2011
Being in the medical field, I have always enjoyed a good medical mystery that includes twists, drama and action. Resuscitation combines all of these elements in a interesting novel. It included a cast of characters that were developed fully and they intermingled perfectly adding to the plot. The shifting from scenes was smooth and I finished the book rather quickly. The Villain (I will not give it away) was sadistic, manipulating, shrewd and brilliant trying to perform a medical experiment that he feels will help mankind. Does He succeed with the experiments? I guess you have to read the book to find out. The author wrote a fantastic novel full surprises that kept me on my toes and I could not put the book down. (Reviewed by Eileen- Melissa's Mom)
VINE VOICEon November 2, 2011
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
With an intriguing premise and a strong plot, one would think that RESUSCITATION, the serial-killer novel by D.M. Annechino, would be wonderfully entertaining. It is entertaining, but not wonderfully. Marred by the use of clichés ("at this point in time" is used several times, and unnecessarily; a surgeon has pain in muscles he didn't even know he had--excuse me, there are muscles of which this crackerjack surgeon is unaware?) and excess characters, its nearly 450 pages could have been trimmed to a more suitable 300.

I found most of RESUSCITATION's characters unlikeable and did not feel pulled into the story in the first ten chapters. Although I wanted to finish the book--which I did--I didn't feel committed to read it. In the early pages, it is passionless. It's not that RESUSCITATION is a bad novel, but it is flawed. There is too much melodrama concerning the protagonist's last run-in with a serial killer, the relationship between the protagonist and her lover is annoying, and an unnecessary character takes up a lot of space and then disappears only to reappear in order to make a crucial-to-the-plot telephone call (the information could have been conveyed differently, eliminating the character and all the words that comprise him).

RESUSCITATION does avoid a number of plot clichés, taking the reader down the garden path only to find that the garden (predictable event) is not there. It was refreshing that the author avoided some overused serial-killer-plot devices, although there were one or two highly predictable situations. I would like to be able to recommend RESUSCITATION to thriller fans, but giving it a star-rating was difficult--it deserves more than three stars, but is not a four-star production.
on October 14, 2011
I got this book the other day and just finished it up, there are so many twists and turns in it , I ask how can you not purchase this book?
This is the best book I have read this year and trust me it has been a plenty. I am not going into alot of detail of the book , because I myself can not stand the spoilers on here, like HK for instance, it is truly a wonderful book, well worth the 4.99 and 10 times more.
on October 19, 2011
I started this book on a Saturday and finished it the following Tuesday. What does that tell you? It was THAT good! I found myself staying up late at night saying "just one more chapter" after I already committed to going to sleep after the last. A few times during the book I noticed my heart was beating much faster than normal (no pun intended), which is a true sign of an awesome thriller. It was wonderfully written (as was "They Never Die Quietly") and I cant wait to read more books written by D.M. Annechino.
on November 27, 2011
I can not believe I paid $4.99 for this. I fell for some earlier good reviews and the premise seemed good, but the writing is mediocre and the story falls apart in the end when a completely new character comes out of nowhere.
I second all the comments by K. McCarthy, including my distaste at the religiosity at the end.
on December 3, 2011
I bought this and the first book (at the same time). What hooked me was that they were set in San Diego, where I've lived, and that the reviews were at 4 stars. The first book wasn't bad, but it wasn't very good either. Both books are filled with cliches and several times I actually laughed out loud at some of the text highlighted by my fellow Kindlers (no offense to anyone). I also don't think Rizzo or Davis are particularly good detectives.

What really got me though were two glaring inconsistencies. 1: Captain Davison in the first book and Captain Davidson in the second. Same guy, but changes how he spells his last name in the two yr hiatus. And 2: I'm pretty sure the kid was two in the first book. She's said to be six in this one. Yet the timeline is noted to be two years after Rizzo nabs Simon from the first book.

Another reviewer mentioned that we might have two authors here. I don't know about that, but we definitely seem to have an editing issue, unless I'm way off base in my observations.
Although this novel promised much as a serial killer thriller, it turned out to be more of 52 chapter flat-liner, with unlikeable characters and stilted dialogue, and was dreadfully bogged down with sub-stories, none essential to the advancement of the main plot.

More time (far too much) is spent on the sadness and conflicts in the lives of the investigating detectives than in the plight of the victims, and although the actual murders were adequately descriptive and horrific, you never get the feeling that any of the main characters were totally committed to the whole affair.

Patchy writing, rambling sub-plots and an unsatisfactory ending mar what could have been a good, tight murder mystery. As it is, it's DNR.

Amanda Richards, December 15, 2011