Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals HPC Oprah's Book Club Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Shawn Colvin All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheTick TheTick TheTick  Three new members of the Echo family Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18PP_gno

on August 16, 2007
This book outlines what boomers (and others) should know about their retirement finances. Few know what the problems might be when they transfer or start accessing retirement money. Fewer still will bother to find out and even fewer will act on the information. What "The Retirement Savings Time Bomb.." discusses is how to prevent unneccessary taxable acts when accessing the money and even how to access funds early (before 59 1/2). Finally, he talks over reasons for converting a regular IRA to a Roth IRA if it makes economic sense and how to minimize taxation in the long run. If I have one critical comment about the book, I feel the information is directed toward individuals who have more retirement savings than I. Regardless, I still will benefit from the information provided.
on April 14, 2014
This book gives you all the updated information you need to create and manage a traditional IRA or a Roth IRA.
Ed also covers important legal details you must be aware of to protect and maximize the value of your retirement accounts for your heirs. I bought additional copies for my children so they will be well informed too.
on November 15, 2010
I would first like to start off and say that I love Ed Slott. I have seen him speak in person twice in my career and hope to see him many times more. I am a financial adviser and this book simplifies an endlessly confusing and ever changing piece of a persons retirement. Not only does he simplify but he also makes it fun. This book is great for people in the profession as well as clients. He doesn't try to talk over anyone's head in order to make himself sound smarter. Enough good things cannot be said about Ed Slott and this book.
on July 9, 2015
A must read for everyone. I learned a lot and I'm taking action to correct retirement withdrawals that I was planning to take. Got this book just in time. A must Read.
on March 10, 2007
Who would have thought that something as simple-sounding as an IRA would require care and feeding and attention to avoid a huge tax consequence down the road. Ed Slott holds your hand through an extremely detailed explanation of the complicated and changing maze of our IRS Code that can cost you much of your investment's earnings if you don't know how to navigate. And just when you thought you were beginning to understand the beast, he unveils yet another aspect of the law that's waiting to reach out and grab you. You'll refer to his richly loaded chapters again and again as you plan and construct your financial defenses.
on September 15, 2015
EVERYONE SHOULD READ THIS
on November 11, 2013
Chapters are well laid out. Can look at it quickly to get important information. Some of the stuff is for younger people just starting to think about retirement. I'm 66 and am looking for ways to save what I have. But I saw Slott on PBS during pledge week and he seemed to make a lot of sense so I'm going to try some of his suggestions.
on November 17, 2008
So, this book was great for me. The topics were exactly what I wanted... most people don't concern themselves with the distribution side of the IRA, but rather only with the contribution and investment side. Ed discusses this mostly in the context of estate planning and figuring out how to maximize your contributions. If you plan on depleting your retirement plan and not passing it to your heirs, there is much in this book that you'll pass over. However, if you have a large retirement plan and intend on either
a) being able to pass to heirs
b) have to pass to heirs
then you'll want to read this book.
on September 8, 2013
Very good book. Well written and informative. This was recommended by my financial planner. The only issue I see is that if most individuals invest in Roth IRA's, this book is uesless. The information only pertains to traditional IRA's. So if you have a traditional IRA, you may want to consider this book. If you have a Roth IRA, then pass on this book and purchase something else.
11 comment| 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on May 6, 2016
Detailed as always. Complexity of the rules gave me pause on planning this alone so I hired a planner referred by Slott. The cost of the book was worth understanding that I was exposing my family to too much risk on how I was managing my retirement plans.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse