Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Listen for a chance to win Electronics Gift Guide $34.99 for a limited time only Handmade Gift Shop Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TNF TNF TNF  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on June 28, 2016
I have been planning to buy a retro console and a cartridge to play the old school Mario. I was excited to order this and when I plugged it in - it didn't work.
All I got was random black and white bars and dots with distortion noises.

It looks very cheap lightweight quality- maybe that's why it's not built for better performance.

If you are looking for retro console, go to local game shop. I did the same.
review image
11 comment| 22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 11, 2017
IT works well but the controllers showed signs of wear within about 12 hours use over 4 days the pin connector failed after about a month but issue was resolved by sticking a game genie in the machine and inserting and removing cartridges from the game genie... others complain about sounds and colors being off i grew up playing an original nes on a 13 b&w goldstar television with the volume turned all the way down (parents would yell if they could hear game sounds during there programs) that being said said i dont really notice sounds being off or color... i would reccomend this unit as long as you can religously use a game genie in the aforementioned manner....
on June 4, 2015
I read a few reviews talking about how horrid the sound was and expected the worse, but I'm not noticing anything in the few games I've played (Blaster Master, Super Spike V'Ball, and Super Mario Bros. 2). I've read a handful of games aren't compatible with these systems, but I haven't encountered that yet. I noticed some glitches when playing SMB2 which would be due to the unit's NES emulation; I had an onion fastened to Peach's head for an entire level, and the rocket in world 5 got a bit messy looking.

This will look like garbage on an HDTV, same as a NES would. The picture gets all muddy looking and artifacts bath the display where there should be none. It still looks OK and is playable, but hopefully you'd have a CRT to run it through. It looks and sounds good on my Trinitron with just the standard (included) RCA mono video cable.

The cartridge goes in upright and feels sturdy so far. I was concerned about the system being too small and light to support the cartridge (which towers over it), but it looks fine. You're not going to be able to put this thing in a small enclosed area since you need access to that top port and room for the game, but the system is so tiny you can just leave it in a drawer and bring it out when you want to use it.

The two pack-in controllers are surprisingly nice. They feel good and include turbo buttons. I hate how the "slow" button is placed right over the start button, and I imagine I'd be hitting it a lot more if I were playing more games which used some kind of submenu like Zelda II.

This isn't going to stop me from looking for an actual NES to replace the one I stupidly sold, but it's a ridiculously cheap stopgap until then. If it weren't for simple nostalgia and possible compatibility issues, I'd be completely satisfied with this thing.
on May 18, 2016
Using it for a Mini NES I was building, the 4 screws in the bottom came out easily. The boards were compact, although I did have to grind away some of the video ports' board to fit it in an NES Cartridge. The top loader word nice for cleaning, but was incredibly stiff and difficult to pull games from. After about 20 games I noticed the removal was getting easier, but my reccomendation would be to make a blank plastic piece similar to the male cartridge ports, and insert / remove it a few times to wear down the grip of the top loader. Overall, the build worked well. Wires compacted nicely, nothing was too awkward. Dont buy this if you want an NES, but if you want to build a Custom Mini NES, then by all means, go for it.
on February 9, 2016
Putting a game in the console was a really tight fit, but once in, the game worked great. Trying to change games was not easy, and after 3 or 4 swaps, the pictures started getting wavy. 1 more game swap, and a screw broke loose inside making it nearly impossible to get the game out. After we got the game out, the console would not turn back on. If you put a game in, and never take it out, I would give it 5 stars.
on March 26, 2015
When I bought the retro bit nes top loader, I admit I wasn't expecting much. Around two weeks in, I started to have issues with the console. It started with minor issues like audio problems that could be fixed with a simple tap of the reset button. Then, I would start to have to remove the cartage to fix the issue. Then I'd have to unplug the console. The problems got worse and worse until finally the console would always greet me with a blank screen. Earn some more cash, and buy yourself an original nes. Trust me it's worth it.
on December 28, 2016
This game system works awesome! It's very small in size and has worked with every game I have tried so far. I give it four stars because the game cartridges are a bit difficult to get in and out of the slot. The controllers that come with the system are kind of cheap, but I still have my original NES controllers which ARE compatible with this knock off system.

I will update this review fittingly in the distant future.
on January 5, 2015
For first impressions, I will give a short list of pros and cons so far.
Pros:
-Cheap! I paid about $15 for the unit
-Plays games fairly well.
-Looks like a nice unit
-Doesn't take up tons of room
-Controllers are decent.

Cons:
-Cheap!
-Very light; I taped mine to an old disk drive to prevent it from being angrily pulled onto the floor and broken.
-Build quality is sketchy; feels like you could just break it by sitting on it in a bean bag chair
-Played Blaster Master and it took me about 6 attempts of inserting it and removing it for the graphic glitches to go away.

Overall this is quite a decent little system if you can look past the moderate build quality and sketchy compatibility.
on October 28, 2017
I have two of these. One is red and black, which barely works, and this one. This one has Quiet audio, and colors are too bright, and the audio has a higher pitch. I prefer the broken one than this. This one can't play the following games:
Mario 3
Ice hockey.
These are my two favorite games. I also prefer having an older look to the games, rather than a high pitched, way too bright piece of junk game.
review image review image
on November 22, 2017
I was worried about this product because it has many bad reviews. I am very happy that so far it is working perfectly for me!

I read a lot of reviews about the prongs breaking. That I don't know about because I bought a cartidge that has a 143 games on it, so I haven't switched games in and out.

I recommend it for sure!