Amazon Vehicles Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB DG Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Home Gift Guide Father's Day Gifts Home Gift Guide Shop Popular Services whiteprincess whiteprincess whiteprincess  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis GNO National Bike Month on Amazon Ellen

Format: Audio CD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 27 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 32 reviews
on November 20, 2015
Well it's an amazing concert, the track list is a killer. My complaint is on two things. First is the packaging, when i opened it the front sleeve is unattached. I'm afraid that in time it all will fall apart. And the other thing is that At the end of Storm the Sorrow theres a little speech telling the public that they are recording the show for a dvd, and suddenly that speech starts again. The first time I saw it the dvd restarted that part and went back to the menu ending the concert abruptly. I cleaned the dvd, put it back. The speech restarted as I previously commented but this time I saw the song Consign to oblivion. This time it was after Outrospect that the dvd stopped and when back to the menu, there is no way to see the credits.
review image
on February 5, 2014
I love both metal and classical music, and always checkout any band that combines the two. Several bands have done this combination live. I don't like when the music hasn't been written with the classical elements in mind, and then the orchestra is just forced into it; for instance, that's how the Metallica one sounded to me... Scorpions, on the other hand, sounded great to me. Deep Purple has done it in the late 60's, and it also worked out great; of course, because they had the genius Jon Lord writing up his concerto.

Epica has always written their music with the classical music as part of the whole, and I've always wanted to see their music live with a full orchestra. The CD they're released a few years ago was great, and I'm happy to see this new DVD: 3 hours of pure musical pleasure! The band + orchestra mix here is superb!

I'll watch this DVD over and over, and have been listening to the companion CDs several times already.
on January 1, 2014
I was debating on either giving this a 4 star or 5 star rating. Overall I came out with more postives than negatives so a 5 star it is. A long time Epica fan, I so long awiated for a concert DVD. I had already owned Epica's only DVD at the time "We Will Take You With Us", I never could get enough of watching Simone Simons, so this was a treat for all long time Epica fans! Packed full of music on 2 DVD discs, what could go wrong? Well, too much bright lights and the 5.1 surround option just wasn't 5.1. The volume was way too low on the 5.1 and where was the bass? But it didn't bother me as the 2.0 surround option was much better, higher volume with bass sound. I agree with previous reviews on here that there are way too much bright lights, but doesn't detract the overall viewing of the show. In widescreen picture, overall this is a great purchase. This deluxe edition (2dvd/3cd set) is limited to 3,000 copies, so get it while still available. Anyone knows that DVD is always better than just a CD.
on January 13, 2014
If you do not already know about this band, please come out from under the rock you live under. Epica has been around for almost 12 years, This concert celebrates their Ten Year Anniversary with not only a few thousand dedicated fans, but with a full symphony, and a chorus of hundreds of singers. Simply amazing for a fan of music, any music. Simone Simons is as amazingly beautiful in voice and with this stage and 3 hours, this Band shows that any concert worth watching is a 3 hour epic all in itself. Also includes some guests, Floor Jansen( Formally of After Forever and current singer with Nightwish. 3 Cds that have all the live songs on these two dvds make Retrospect a MUST HAVE! This is a must have for fans of Symphonic Metal, the visual is as satisfying as audible. Behind the scenes is also very telling of this Band. You can only be left with wishing you were there in person. Holland is proud of this band!!!
on July 25, 2014
I have nothing but great things to say about Epica. Why aren't they popular in the US? Oh yeah, their fans are not brain-dead!
on March 10, 2014
Over the years Epica has grown on me from the beginning ten years ago great band seen live last year, Simone Vocals are superb and Mark Jansen Grunts can say even better live, Monopoly of Truth is a great opening track getting nearly 2 half hours of great music singing all there songs Unleashed, Martyr of a Free Word, Never Enough, The Divine Conspiracy, The Phantom Agony, Design Your Universe, Storm of Sorrow, Consign to Oblivion great selection songs i must say this is one best dvds seen since Black Symphony Within Temptation do enjoy 9/10.
on November 10, 2015
I love Epica's music and this was such a great concert if you were/would have been there. I don't really need to go into perspective of how amazing this dvd is but my only complaint is the packaging of the DVD. The book that holds my 2 DVDs and 3 CDs isn't even attached to the Book, the pages that hold the items fell out of the book.
review image
on December 12, 2013
I uploaded images of this version of Epica's Retrospect 10th anniversary show here in Amazon so that people get an idea of what exactly they are getting when they order it at amazon. Some assume that they are getting something that is shaped like a DVD case when in reality it is shaped like a double CD case. I think the US version is this one and the European version is the one shaped like a DVD case. Either way, it's great to have, so please look at the attached images for a better description. Epica are not a band that disappoints. The show is brilliant and having all the songs on CD as well, is awesome! The only negative thing about this that I need to bring up is the laser lights during the show. As a person who suffers from migraines, I had to look away many times. I could not stare at the show for too long as it was going on. The laser lights was too much. So you are warned. The person who decided the lighting for the show should be fired. It's the only negative thing I have to say about this release, which is sad because it has nothing to do with Epica's music but it needs to be said. The CD alone is worth getting. There are lots of behind the scenes and interviews with the band in the extra's section. Great concert to have in your collection, so I recommend it. For fans of Nightwish and Within Temptation.
review image review image review image review image review image review image
on January 7, 2014
This was an amazing show! For any Epica fan this is a must have! I'm not going to go into a lengthy review like some...but this was a very well put together performance. The Classical Conspiracy was awesome and Retrospect is that and more! The lighting I thought was fantastic! Special guest appearances amazing! Like I said if you or someone you know is an Epica fan this a must have in the collection! Can't wait for the 15 year...or even 20 year anniversary \m/
on December 13, 2013
Epica is the best Symphonic Gothic Metal band in the world today. Simone Simons has a beautiful voice that excels in both the operatic and metal styling of this band. The growls only add to the beauty of their music. This retrospect contains 2DVD's and 3 CD's. For the fan this is a must have. For the person who has never heard Epica this is a good way to get to know their music. I highly recommend it!