- Audio CD (February 6, 2000)
- Original Release Date: July 13, 1999
- Number of Discs: 1
- Label: Almo Sounds
- ASIN: B00000JMXD
- Average Customer Review: 4.2 out of 5 stars See all reviews (102 customer reviews)
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #42,489 in CDs & Vinyl (See Top 100 in CDs & Vinyl)
Other Sellers on Amazon
Return Of The Grievous Angel: A Tribute To Gram Parsons
Frequently bought together
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
Wonderful 2000 tribute featuring Emmylou Harris, Wilco, Elvis Costello, Gillian Welch, The Mavericks, The Pretenders, Lucinda Williams, Chris Hillman, Steve Earle & more!
The gentle hand of Emmylou Harris guides this tribute to ill-fated country-rock avatar Gram Parsons, which goes a long way toward explaining why this star-studded salute avoids the pitfalls that befall many such projects. Harris got her start harmonizing with the patron saint of alt country, contributing mightily to Parsons's two early 1970s solo albums and reviving selections from his small, but indispensable, oeuvre throughout her career. She has a vested interest in finding a true connection between her former benefactor and this cast of Parsons partisans. Here she bands together a flock of followers who range from obvious offspring (Wilco, Gillian Welch, Whiskeytown) to not-so-evident disciples (Beck, the Pretenders, Sheryl Crow). Parsons's partner in the Flying Burrito Brothers, Chris Hillman, teams with Steve Earle on "High Fashion Queen," and David Crosby (like Parsons and Hillman, an ex-Byrd) joins Lucinda Williams on "Return of the Grievous Angel." Harris harmonizes with Beck on "Sin City" and shares the mic with Crow on "Juanita," one of the collection's highlights. Ultimately, Harris has assembled a homage that would've pleased her old mentor. --Steven Stolder
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
Top customer reviews
With little familiarity to Gram Parsons, I was so taken by this tribute that was so well done, with fine musicians. Emmylou Harris, who sang with him before he died in the 70s so young, has kept his music alive and introduced him to new generations of music lovers.
On the show, I was introduced to Beck, I thought to myself..."who is this guy who sounds like Parsons?"
A favorite of mine, is Steve Earle and Chris Hillman on "High Fashion Queen. " The group consisted of Lucinda Williams, Gillian Welch, Cowboy Junkies, Elvis Costello, Wilco, David Crosby, Whiskeytown, etc. How wonderfuls the tribute of "In My Hour of Darkness" by the Rolling Creekdrippers.
Emmylou Harris and Sheryl Crow duet to "Juanita", the mixture of solid sweet voice of Crow and that soothing cracking voice of Emmylou blend so perfectly.
If ever there is a presence of Gram Parsons, it is here! This is truly more that a tribute, it is as haunting as Gram Parson was, a young man who died too young, too hard!
If you want to hear Gram Parsons and Emmylou Harris duets, she has a 3 CD box set that features duets with Parsons, probably the best part of her CD collection. ....MzRizz
Gram Parsons and Emmylou Harris jointly get credit for writing the song `In My Hour of Darkness,' which is nicely placed as the last song on this CD. It has three verses, with a tragedy about a young man and a deadly Denver bend in verse one, another young man safely strumming his silver-stringed guitar in verse two, and an old man, kind and wise with age in verse three. People ought to listen to this one like "He read me just like a book, and he never missed a page."
Most recent customer reviews
Set up an Amazon Giveaway
Customers who bought this item also bought
Look for similar items by category
- CDs & Vinyl > Alternative Rock > Hardcore & Punk > British Punk
- CDs & Vinyl > Alternative Rock > Hardcore & Punk > Punk
- CDs & Vinyl > Alternative Rock > Indie & Lo-Fi > Indie Rock
- CDs & Vinyl > Alternative Rock > New Wave & Post-Punk > New Wave
- CDs & Vinyl > Classic Rock
- CDs & Vinyl > Country > Americana
- CDs & Vinyl > Country > Bluegrass
- CDs & Vinyl > Country > Classic Country
- CDs & Vinyl > Country > Neotraditional
- CDs & Vinyl > Country > Outlaw Country
- CDs & Vinyl > Country > Today's Country
- CDs & Vinyl > Folk > Contemporary Folk
- CDs & Vinyl > Folk > Traditional Folk
- CDs & Vinyl > Pop > Adult Alternative
- CDs & Vinyl > Pop > Adult Contemporary
- CDs & Vinyl > Pop > Tributes
- CDs & Vinyl > Rock > Country Rock
- CDs & Vinyl > Rock > Folk Rock