Amazon Vehicles Beauty Trade in your textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 37 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 43 reviews
on April 28, 2012
My adventures with Chemex began when our fourth drip coffeemaker in as many years died a sudden death. Weary of planned obsolescence, we decided to look for another, less mechanical option for brewing.

We have a small French press, and enjoy the coffee it produces, but I've never been able to avoid the grit. A bit of reading led me to the Chemex sub-culture of lovable coffee snobs. A few video brewing demonstrations later and I decided to give the Chemex a try. We were not disappointed. Velvety, rich, clean coffee flavor. The only drawback were the expensive filters. I tinkered with several tricks involving standard coffee filters (origami folds, knitting my own, etc.), but each failed when making more than 8 ounces.

No need to fear Chemex fans...the K250 Reusable Filter is here! Easy to use, easy to clean and makes a deliciously smooth, grit-free cup of coffee.

Here's my simple cleaning method for the K250:

1. After brewing place the filter (with grounds) upright into a cup. Go about your day. The grounds will dry a bit.

2. Take the filter and shake the dry grounds into the trash (or compost if you're into gardening).

3. Turn the filter point side up and rinse the filter under warm water from the outside.

4. Set the filter upside down on the cup used in step one to dry. Ta da!

Thank you K250 Reusable Filters. You're the frugal brewer's friend.
on February 17, 2012
I had been using my Chemex pour-over with the Chemex branded paper filters, and the coffee tasted a little too weak. Don't get me wrong, it still tastes much better than drip or french press, but it didn't have that traditional boldness of coffee. I got this because I was referred to it by the owner of a great coffee shop in Seattle (Cafe de Lion). The taste is amazing. It still doesn't have the bitterness of coffee, but it is much darker and tastes like bold coffee. You get the best of both worlds, the undercurrent of fruit flavors from the beans and the bold richness you expect from coffee. This is the way coffee is meant to taste.

The clean up is really easy. I don't use soap because I am too lazy. I simply turn the filter upside down in the sink and run water over it. It's that easy. The material is different than what you would expect from a metal filter. It is metal, but it feels like fabric. It is very soft to the touch and there is no sharp edges that will cut you. Even if you were to try, it isn't rigid enough to create a sharp enough edge.

This is a great product and I highly recommend it if you enjoy a good cup of coffee.
on April 12, 2012
I'm always looking for a way to save money and this permanent filter for my Chemex is great. It performs exactly as advertised. It is easier to clean than I thought it might be. I don't really like to clean stuff like this, I liked being able to just lift the paper filter out and toss it, but this doesn't take that much effort. I usually just set it on a plate to cool off and by the time I've finished drinking my coffee, it has cooled off completely and I can empty it out and clean it.

My only complaint and the reason I gave it 4 instead of 5 stars is that there is a good deal of coffee "powder" from the grounds that gets through. It doesn't bother me, my coffee tastes exactly the same as it did with paper filters, but I thought I'd mention it since some people have reviewed it saying it brews a really clean cup. Maybe I need to use a slightly larger grind. I will try and update if that makes a difference.

Over all, I'm very glad I bought this filter and I would recommend anyone purchase it. Well worth the money, which you'll recoup in no time by not having to buy filters anymore! Big plus: it's made in the USA!
on October 21, 2011
I unwrapped my Chemex K250 Reuseable Filters, inspected them closely, and thought, "Wow! This looks handmade." It is, and it is beautifully crafted and very effective. I've used it for a month now, and it's proven strong and promises to be long-term durable.

I ordered two, thinking it might be difficult to clean and wanting a "spare" for my high-demand coffee days. Turns out a quick rinse in warm water (maybe with a few drops of soap) is all that's needed. But it's still convenient to have two.

Coffee tastes great with the Chemex filter, and I don't need electricity to make coffee (gas stove) with the Chemex maker when the power goes out in a storm. It is special to me that a "real person" made the filter - the head of the company actually wrote in response to my feedback that Caroline Jones, a jeweler by trade, had hand-crafted it.

We all know there's a lot of waste in our environment today, and reusable filters may be just one small way to help the environment. We're also aware of increasing manufacturing and jobs going overseas and goods being imported - even thought it's just one small filter, Chemex is home-brewed!

Way to go, every bit of 5 stars recommendation and then some!
on May 24, 2012
I like it when something I use can help our environment. This reusable filter is a great product. Because I live overseas I have to always remember to order more filters to arrive before I've used my last. It works really well, makes coffee faster than the paper filter, and makes excellent coffee. I've always loved the Chemex for the no sludge coffee it makes, and with this filter the coffee has more body. Clean up is a breeze and unlike the wet, soggy paper filters, I only dump out the grounds. I don't have the luxury here to have a garbage disposal, so everything goes into the waste can. You should use a coarser grind if you find that you get grit in the filter or your coffee and it doesn't clean thoroughly. After dumping out the grounds I just rinse it, no soap, and it's completely clean. If you feel the initial outlay for it is pricey it will pay for itself in the long run.
on December 30, 2012
I wish the first two characteristics were not true, because the taste of the coffee is very fine. But after less than four months, the seams that hold the cone together are coming undone. It is still usable but the end is clearly near. Also, I'm not sure what other reviewers mean by "easy to clean," but I do not find this to be the case. I takes quite a bit of careful emptying to get the bulk of the grounds out, followed by much rinsing to get the remainder. This is even after allowing it to dry 24 hours. (I use it about once a day.) The amount of water needed to get it clean makes me doubt if the environmental impact is really less than paper filters. My back-of-the-envelope cost comparison told me this needed to last about a year to make the cost worthwhile compared with paper, so unfortunately it fails the math test too. I could put up with the cleaning & the deforming if the rest worked, but alas, not.
on June 5, 2012
I was super excited to get this filter, to replace the paper filters. However, it does not fit snug enough in the funnel, and as a result air bubbles in the side get trapped and must escape. I have quite literally had boiling water spurting out the top at me. It leaves a huge mess all over the counter. Also, the mesh does not hold the water as nice as the paper, so I can see water streaming out the side of the filter as i am pouring it, and travel down the sides of the chemex (as opposed to simply draining through the bottom of the cone) , diluting the coffee. This is a huge disappointment, I was really hoping it would work out, but it looks like I will have to order more paper filters.
on February 14, 2012
Read a bunch of reviews, and you'll know what you're ordering.

I was using a home made turkish grinder and a french press. As you can imagine, there was a lot of grit at the bottom of every cup. I switched to this filter and a Chemex 6 cup pot. Not only do I have very little grit in my coffee (my grinder grinds VERY fine), the same, generic coffee has so much more flavor. My primary reason for buying this filter was not needing to buy more paper filters. They just don't compost fast enough.

The one thing you do need to know is that these are fairly fragile. You can't put it in your dishwasher, but I don't do a load of dishes every day anyway. The instructions tell you to be gentle hand washing and to 'think of petting a kitten'. It cleans and rinses very easily, just pay attention to what you're doing.
on December 6, 2011
I roast and grind the beans I use, so a good filter is an important part of the coffee-making process for me. I've used Chemex filters for years and find them to be of very high quality. I was curious about the reusable filters and bought a couple, mostly for our vacation home where I try to minimize clutter. My initial impressions are very positive on the K250. It makes a good cup of coffee. While more grounds get in it than a paper filter, that isn't necessarily a bad thing, just different. Cleaning the filter was easy.

The owners of the company solicited my opinion and followed up on my suggestions. That was a nice touch and a good sign these people take quality seriously.

I am likely to end up giving this a 5-star rating. I just haven't used it enough to go there yet.
on July 13, 2012
I am still working out how to brew the best cup of coffee and this filter is helping. I was so impressed by the follow-up contact by Nate, at Kaffeologie. His honest desire to help me use the product correctly and get the best results is admirable! And his assurance that, if I had any problems with it or how it held up, he and his company were there to make it right. The personal contact was above and beyond my expectations! That means so much to me. I am still working on getting the best grind for the filter as my grinder is very old. The coffee tastes great! Thanks Nate for a great experience!