Other Sellers on Amazon
+ Free Shipping
+ Free Shipping
Revell Pinewood Derby Tuning Set/Speed Kit
- One Wheel Truing Mandrel
- Four axles
- 0.5 oz. pumice powder and 0.25 oz. tube of graphite powder
- Official Pinewood Derby raceday log/tips and tricks book
- Detailed instruction sheet
Customers who bought this item also bought
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
CHOKING HAZARD -- Small parts. Not for children under 3 yrs.
Revell has everything you need to fix up your car before the race. BONUS: Pinewood Derby® Raceday Log Tips and Tricks book.
From the Manufacturer
This handy Tuning Set has everything you need to get the best possible performance out of your Pinewood Derby racer. The included Wheel Truing Mandrel improves speeds by making your tires as round and smooth as can be. INCLUDES: Wheel truing mandrel One sheet each of 120-, 220-, and 600-grit sandpaper Four axles 0.5 oz (14.1g) pumice powder 0.25 oz. (7.0g) tube of graphite powder
Top Customer Reviews
THE BAD: The "Official Pinewood Derby raceday log/tips and tricks book" is missing, as other reviewers have noted.
WHAT YOU GET:
- A mandrel. This is a device that lets you mount a wheel on a drill and spin it to sand out rough edges. It's easy enough to use, as long as you have a drill.
- Several grades of sandpaper.
- Pumice powder. My kid had a good time mixing it into paste and applying it.
- Graphite powder. This is supposed to be a good lubricant.
- Four axles (that is, nails). Not sure that these are any better than what is already in the standard pinewood derby kit. We went with what was in the kit to be sure we were within the rules.
- Instruction sheet. This is relatively easy to follow.
- A Cub Scout will need a parent's help with a good part of this, since much of the work involves a drill.
- My scout had a good time working with me on tuning his car.
- Ultimately, it's not clear to me that this makes much difference in the speed of the car.
There is an official Pinewood Derby race day log/tips and tricks BOOKLET included, however, there is only one page of any actual tips (and most of these tips are common sense/available on the internet). The rest of the booklet is reserved to logging race times and is broken down by den (Tiger, Wolf, Bear, Webelos). To say this is a tips and tricks BOOK is a real stretch of truth in advertising.
Finally, there is a instruction pamphlet that teaches you how to use the Truing Mandrel and offers sandpaper techniques, which is useful for learning how to polishing the axels (considering using the mandrel is otherwise out of the question if your pack prohibits wheel modification).
Instead we went with some fun designs for the kids, but the cars were anything but aerodynamic! I ordered this just to help so they weren't coming in last in every heat, and to our surprise their cars which were pretty competitive!!!
They ended up taking 7th and 9th place!
I believe the combination of polishing the axles (nails) and adding the graphite powder is the key here. If you do this on a car that has properly balanced weight and aerodynamics, it will absolutely help.
Gave it 4 stars only because the packaging could be improved like...
1. Zip lock baggies for the various powders to avoid messes and for repeated uses
2. Color coding ir at least numbers on the different sand papers would help... It's difficult to tell which is the fine sandpaper after you cut off several thin strips and cycle through a few tires.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
When asked for another wheel mandrel, Bill said to order another one.Read more