Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Tailgating PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 96 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 122 reviews
on March 17, 2012
Pros:

Detailed

Cons:

Not very engaging

I am a huge fan of the illicit Goljan audio. I think what makes the audio so great is that Dr. Goljan is an engaging lecturer who peppers his talks with anecdotes and makes the content interesting. I bought this book hoping that it would provide a format that allowed for very high yield learning that could hold my attention. I found though, that each section is very dense and hard to read in the outline format. I now mostly just read first aid, listen to the audio, and leave this book at home.

I would not recommend this book for someone looking only for high yield facts, or for those who need a more narrative style of writing.
on April 21, 2014
Everybody focuses on First Aid as the best resource for Step 1. I am not going to argue that you shouldn't read First Aid. However, First Aid does very little to help you understand the topics. When it comes to test day, your understanding of the topics is really what is being tested, as you don't have time to go through every mnemonic and to rack your memory on each question. It comes down to a gut impulse for many questions. Goljian's book helps you acquire that understanding so that your gut impulse is right most of the time. I recommend reading this book once throughout 1st/2nd year, and then once again in the week or so before your test. It is an essential part of studying for the Step 1 exam.
on June 5, 2011
Personally, I have found Goljan's review texts much easier to read than BRS. I actually stay engaged while reading it. If you listen to his audio lectures you can tell he is very passionate and involved in teaching pathology, and this comes across in Rapid Review.

This text in many ways follows the same information as First Aid, but with more wordage. If you study this text early, and then First Aid before Step 1, you will find that you already know a good chunk of First Aid. Because Rapid Review goes into more detail, it is a good text to start early. I do not recommend this book if you feel you are short of time in studying for Step 1 since it is more verbose. Sometimes Rapid Review seems like it is also preparing you for Step 2. It is all useful information but it is important to realize this isn't the best high-yield cram right before Step 1 resource out there.

Honestly my only criticism is that this is not comprehensive enough. You will need First Aid on top of this. Even for Pathology, there are a few First Aid facts not in here. Nonetheless, after reading this cover to cover, reading First Aid, and doing USMLE World qbank I went from 220 to 260 over 3 months, and I definitely feel that Rapid Review is part of that response. It is a good book.

Again, read this book early in your studying.
33 comments| 33 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 10, 2012
I bought this book the summer before M2 along with a bunch of other Step 1 review books. I forgot I had it until 2 months into M2 when I realized I was making the same mediocre grades as M1. Frustrated, I began looking up "great books to buy" and ran across this one online. I then remembered I had already bought it so I dug it up and began reading it. This book is awesome. It seemed too detailed and 'dry' to read at first, but I soon found that every line was gold. The way it is formatted allowed me to understand the mechanisms of disease. I now score in the 90's for school NBME exams, and this is without touching lecture materials! I compliment this with Pathoma videos, Pocket Robbins, and First Aid. I found that Pocket Robbins may not have high yield information throughout the entire chapter, but it does contain things that Goljian Rapid Review does not mention. Such as cancer cytogenetic markers for seminoma.
on November 27, 2012
if you have the time to read this book, then you're golden for step 1 & step 2.
it's very clinically oriented, and gives a comprehensive review for almost every subject (Immuno, genetics, Micro, etc)
I like the tables they're neatly written and gives a nice quick review.
The notes on the margin are useful tool as well.
How ever according to Goljan (Papi) the 4th edition is on the way so if you have time wait for that.

again if you have the time to read it that's great, but if you're rushing to take the step 1 then other sources would be enough to cover the pathology section
on February 6, 2014
This is a great follow up to look into some of the concepts that you didn't understand through the bootleg Goljan audio. However don't use this as your primary source, it's way too big 600+ pages! and it covers more than the material needed for Step 1, in fact it's useful even for Step 2. But trying to memorize all he concepts given in his book will be disappointing due to the length. Best to use High yield or Goljan audio and look into this book for further understanding of difficult concepts.

I started my prep using this book, and soon moved on to Pathoma by Sattar, the 'New Goljan'.
on August 6, 2017
Not what it made it out to be.
on July 10, 2012
This book is great for all students, those who learned everything well the first time and also for those who didn't pick up everything in the first attempt in med school! I have been out of pathology for a while and if you also attend the lectures its a great book to go along with because he covers everything extensively and thoroughly, isn't presumptive about students knowing the basics. Obviously you have to know a little but I think its a great review right before your boards. If you cover this book twice, which can be done in 10 days, you will be set for pathology on the step 1.
on July 26, 2015
This book is a must have if you are looking for high yield information for pathology. Id recommend this to anyone who is about to take there STEP 1. People swear by it. In fact, it is considered one of the books in the trinity of Step 1 studying. This, First Aid, and Uworld Test Bank

You wont be disappointed!!!
on August 17, 2013
I used this book during my pathology class and also for my Step 1 preparation. I prefer this book over pathomas even though pathomas is awesome (because Goljan not only goes over pathology, but he also goes into micro and sometimes pharm). Some people say that this book has a lot of information, but hey, you never know what questions you will get during the Step, so it is better to be ready. If you could use pathomas and this book, do it!