Truck Reviews HPC Warlight Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Kids Edition Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now Start your Baby Registry

on March 10, 2016
Very effective and so much easier to apply than spray-can silicone type protectors. I've used about 5 bottles of ReviveX and just ordered two more. I used to always treat new or freshly cleaned shoes & boots with Scotchguard or similar aerosol can spray, but I switched to ReviveX last summer- more or less by accident. I bought the first bottle at a local sporting goods store just to get the sales guy off my back! Yes, I feel bad even saying that, but everyone who's been cornered by an over-zealous sales clerk knows exactly what I mean. I didn't see how a water-based sealer could work as well as silicone spray, but I thought I'd try it out on something old just to see how it did. The first thing that sold me was how much easier it is to apply. With Scotchguard, I used to wait for a clear (preferably warm with no wind) day and drag out some big cardboard sheets on the patio so I could go through the aerosol spray ordeal. Because of the paint-like fumes, you must have a place outdoors to let them dry overnight and hope for another clear day to do a second coat (sometimes a third as well). With ReviveX, I can do it in my garage- regardless of the weather and without all the overspray protection sheets and such. First, I remove the laces and insole. You need to put something inside the shoe and fill it completely to keep from getting a bunch of the liquid inside the shoe. Newspaper is an easy option. I like the air tubes used for packing material with a rag stretched over the top. I use a square plastic tub that I put in the sink in my garage. Shake the bottle thoroughly and continue to shake it as you use it so it stays compltely mixed. Hold the sprayer 3-4" away from the surface and just work your way around. I spray each shoe thoroughly and then prop them up "nose down" in the tub to let any excess run off for about five minutes. If the leather has soaked up so much that it already looks dry, I spray another coat right away and let them sit another 5-10 minutes. I use a damp cloth to dab off any visible pools or drops (check crevices that hold liquid) and set them on a clean towel to dry. After 3-5 hours, I give them another coat and then let them dry in the house for 24-48 hours in a well-ventilated area. You can tell when they are really dry and ready to replace the insole and laces. When I finish each round of spraying, I use a little funnel to reclaim the extra back into the bottle. Sometimes new shoes will release a little dye that darkens the extra liquid. I keep a separate bottle for discolored runoff and only use it on black or really dark color items. Sometimes I also treat the laces using a small paper cup and a plastic knife to stir them until completely covered. I fold them in a wet rag to remove any excess and then hang them up to dry. These are not exactly the specified directions, but it's the system I've worked out after a lot of practice. Once you get started, you'll begin to see that some leather and fabrics absorb more of the liquid than others and you just have to judge the point when you've got it completely saturated. Saturation is the key to a water based sealer. The aerasol sprays work by leaving a surface coating to repel water. Water based ones, like ReviveX, work by absorbing into the leather or fabric. So don't be sparing with it. It's better to have one or two items really protected than four with too little to provide any meaningful protection. I think that's the mistake that some people make which leaves them concluding that it doesn't work. I have yet to notice any discoloration of an item once it has completely dried, but if it's a critical issue for you, always test a little spot with a cotton swab to be sure.
I can't say positively that it will last as long as Scotchguard, but I'm fairly confident. Even if it doesn't, the ease of application so far outweighs that factor that I don't mind if somthing needs a refreh coat. Also, there may be some folks who are more sensetive and shouldn't use it anywhere but outside, but I've yet to have anyone even notice any smell from freshly treated items drying in the house. The fact that it's water based removes many of the solvents that generate the fumes of aerosal can types.
What could be better about it? The awful, cheap, unreliable, hard to use, easy to break pump head! I had one that was completely disfuntional from the first squeese. If I hadn't had the working pump from a previous bottle, I'd have really been frustrated. That's a silly and inexcusable reason for loosing customers. If a $2 bottle of window cleaner can have a consistantly reliable pump head, surely this can. Another thing: why can I only buy 4oz at a time? For someone who's sold on it's merits, let me invest in a 12, 16 or 20oz bottle and cut me a little slack in the price for doing it. That's not advanced business economics either. Both issues are obvious and easily addressed.
Bottom line: Use it correctly and it works well with a lot less hassle than aerosal spray protector products. I hope this makes it easier for someone wanting to give it a try. Good Luck!
33 people found this helpful
on November 7, 2016
I can't recommend this product, nor can I understand all the good reviews. I gave it three stars because it is easy to apply, does not have a strong scent, and I'm sure provides some (small) level of protection. However, it definitely darkens anything it is applied to and does not seem to provide anywhere near enough protection to make it worth the time, cost, and trouble of applying. It also changes the texture of the item to which you have applied it.

I have been waterproofing all kinds of outerwear, camp gear, and foot wear - both dress and casual, for many years. I highly recommend nikwax for suede - it is a pain in the butt to apply because the the item has to be wet before applying, and it does leave the item darker than before applied, but once thoroughly dried it is not terribly darker and still a pretty color, and the item has some serious protection. I have worn suede boots in the rain and snow for a full season after applying nikwax spray, and at the end of the season there are not water or salt stains and if you run water over the boot it literally just runs off and doesn't leave a mark. The suede texture also does not change and remains 'nappy' and soft.

I decided to try Gear Aid ReviveX for Suede based on the good reviews and because I wanted to try a product that was as simple as spray on, wipe off drips/excess after 5 min, and let dry. The bottle says that a second coat increases the effectiveness of the product and is recommended. I tried the product on a purse that I loved that was two tone suede - a medium light brown with darker brown trim. The product immediately turned the whole purse a muddy ugly chocolate brown. I thought it would dry back to its original shade, but alas no. It did lighten slightly compared to when first sprayed, but nothing near the original color. Figuring it was already ruined, I went ahead and applied the second coat as recommended after the first coat dried thoroughly. It sunk right in (if you try to apply two coats of nikwax it doesn't work - first coat protects so well the attempt to add another coat of the product just results in it rolling right off), and made the purse even darker. Equally bad, the suede now lies 'flat' even after having dried for two days and having brushed it well with a suede brush. It did eventually lighten to a tone two or three shades darker than original, but whole purse is still one shade now and it is a weird color. Water beads if sprinkled lightly, but if you touch the droplet with your finger - not rub, just touch, it sinks right in to the suede which tells me the protection is minimal.

Then, I had extra product and not wanting to throw it out I decided to spray an old pair of med dark brown suede boots I don't really care about just to use it up. Same exact results. I am going to try 303 fabric protector and scotchgard for suede next in my continued quest for a quick, easy to apply suede protector, but will stick with nikwax for those items I really plan to use in bad weather.
13 people found this helpful
on September 3, 2015
Worked great on my nude suede clogs. The color after the spray and dry was exactly the same! This was my biggest concern. I saturated them twice and blotted them after I sprayed to clean up where the repelant had pooled on the shoe due to its shape. I will staw the suede on my shoes was very short so I'm not sure if a fuller suede would turn out the same. The spray was very easy to use and I had no issue with the stream. Great product!
review image
11 people found this helpful
on September 6, 2016
This is a great waterproofer to use on you boots and shoes. I used it on my Faux Ugs that are real suede and it waterproofed them very well and did not change the color on anything I used it on, including a suede jacket and a leather knapsack. This is a great product that does exactly what it is supposed to do. It was so good that I will be ordering a second bottle for this Winter season, that I know will work very well!
3 people found this helpful
on April 3, 2015
Really easy to use, used on my uggs, a pair of canvas flats, my hiking boots and there is still liquid left in the bottle. The spray didn't change the color of any of the shoes I sprayed it on. Water beads well on the uggs.

This spray didn't work on my hiking boots at all. Three days after applying (2 coats with 24 hrs of drying in between) to my hiking boots, I went on a 4 hr hike in ~ 1.5 inches of slush. The boots immediately showed signs of water soaking in and my feet were wet within 2 hrs. Luckily it was a warm day -- sunny and spring-like, we were just hiking on the last of the winter's snow -- so wet feet weren't a problem. The spray did NOTHING to re-waterproof the boots. The hiking boots have seen a lot of miles in dusty and muddy conditions, my only guess is that the boots were too dirty for the spray to bind well - despite cleaning? Whatever

Works well for city shoes, might not keep your feet dry on the trail
on February 24, 2015
Honestly, this seemed like I was just spraying on water, and it did NOT protect my cream-colored suede Cole Haans AT ALL. They still absorb water and get dirt stains. I'm convinced that I received a bottle of water, just disguised as this product. The consistency was just as watery as water is, and it had absolutely NO ODOR AT ALL. (As in, I heavily sprayed my shoes within the confines of my small apartment, without smelling ANY fumes... I feel like that should not have been possible??)
Anyways, yeah - this product offered NO dirt/water repellent... pretty disappointed, especially after reading some positive reviews of this product before buying it.
5 people found this helpful
on July 26, 2015
I applied a coat of this to my Gore-Tex-lined nubeck hiking boots, then took them on a weeklong hiking trip, which turned out to be very rainy. I expected the boots to stay dry because of the Gore-Tex, but applied this to keep the outer layers from getting waterlogged and heavy, which did worked out pretty well on this trip. They also stayed clean, in spite of a lot of mud.

I have given a cautious four stars for now (summer 2015), because I haven't had much time to test this so far. If the coating continues to hold, I will bump the rating up to five stars, or if anything changes, I will update the review accordingly.
on September 15, 2015
The people that complain of broken spray bottles aren't releasing the safety. Under the handle that you squeeze there is a flat, white plastic tab that must be turned 90 degrees to be able to squeeze the handle. If you don't do this you will break the sprayer. The spray went on well, on Red Wing "muleskinner" boots I can't see that it darkened the leather after drying overnight. How well does it protect? Better Homes and Gardens rated it number one. I'll need to wear the boots for a couple of months for a personal rating.
on May 1, 2015
We bought this for a few pairs of suede shoes my husband purchased for spring. As far as the protective factor goes, the ReviveX has delivered. The shoes have been wet for brief periods of time (house to car, car to work, walking the dog, etc) and still look great. Others have mentioned that this product causes shoes to appear a little darker after application. I would say this is true for the most part. On a darker tan pair of shoes, the color doesn't appear different at all. On a lighter tan pair, however, the ReviveX did darken the color a bit. It is uniform, so my husband wasn't upset by the change. If you had a lighter colored pair of shoes that you absolutely did not want to change even the slightest bit, maybe reconsider using this product. I am not sure if you will be able to find a suede protector that doesn't change a light color a little though.
on January 20, 2017
I always treat my boots before I ware them outside for the first time. I am really glad that I took a chance to try this kind and I like that it is in a non aerosol can because I know it is better for the environment.

I am happy to have found this brand because it sprays on evenly and I also like that it did not change the color of my boots. I have used this on three pairs, two times each and I still have 1/2 bottle left. It does spray on wet but it drys spot free.
|0Comment|Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.