Industrial Deals Luxury Beauty Killers of the Flower moon STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Shop Popular Services Catastrophe Catastrophe Catastrophe  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now

Showing 1-10 of 234 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 243 reviews
on March 10, 2016
Very effective and so much easier to apply than spray-can silicone type protectors. I've used about 5 bottles of ReviveX and just ordered two more. I used to always treat new or freshly cleaned shoes & boots with Scotchguard or similar aerosol can spray, but I switched to ReviveX last summer- more or less by accident. I bought the first bottle at a local sporting goods store just to get the sales guy off my back! Yes, I feel bad even saying that, but everyone who's been cornered by an over-zealous sales clerk knows exactly what I mean. I didn't see how a water-based sealer could work as well as silicone spray, but I thought I'd try it out on something old just to see how it did. The first thing that sold me was how much easier it is to apply. With Scotchguard, I used to wait for a clear (preferably warm with no wind) day and drag out some big cardboard sheets on the patio so I could go through the aerosol spray ordeal. Because of the paint-like fumes, you must have a place outdoors to let them dry overnight and hope for another clear day to do a second coat (sometimes a third as well). With ReviveX, I can do it in my garage- regardless of the weather and without all the overspray protection sheets and such. First, I remove the laces and insole. You need to put something inside the shoe and fill it completely to keep from getting a bunch of the liquid inside the shoe. Newspaper is an easy option. I like the air tubes used for packing material with a rag stretched over the top. I use a square plastic tub that I put in the sink in my garage. Shake the bottle thoroughly and continue to shake it as you use it so it stays compltely mixed. Hold the sprayer 3-4" away from the surface and just work your way around. I spray each shoe thoroughly and then prop them up "nose down" in the tub to let any excess run off for about five minutes. If the leather has soaked up so much that it already looks dry, I spray another coat right away and let them sit another 5-10 minutes. I use a damp cloth to dab off any visible pools or drops (check crevices that hold liquid) and set them on a clean towel to dry. After 3-5 hours, I give them another coat and then let them dry in the house for 24-48 hours in a well-ventilated area. You can tell when they are really dry and ready to replace the insole and laces. When I finish each round of spraying, I use a little funnel to reclaim the extra back into the bottle. Sometimes new shoes will release a little dye that darkens the extra liquid. I keep a separate bottle for discolored runoff and only use it on black or really dark color items. Sometimes I also treat the laces using a small paper cup and a plastic knife to stir them until completely covered. I fold them in a wet rag to remove any excess and then hang them up to dry. These are not exactly the specified directions, but it's the system I've worked out after a lot of practice. Once you get started, you'll begin to see that some leather and fabrics absorb more of the liquid than others and you just have to judge the point when you've got it completely saturated. Saturation is the key to a water based sealer. The aerasol sprays work by leaving a surface coating to repel water. Water based ones, like ReviveX, work by absorbing into the leather or fabric. So don't be sparing with it. It's better to have one or two items really protected than four with too little to provide any meaningful protection. I think that's the mistake that some people make which leaves them concluding that it doesn't work. I have yet to notice any discoloration of an item once it has completely dried, but if it's a critical issue for you, always test a little spot with a cotton swab to be sure.
I can't say positively that it will last as long as Scotchguard, but I'm fairly confident. Even if it doesn't, the ease of application so far outweighs that factor that I don't mind if somthing needs a refreh coat. Also, there may be some folks who are more sensetive and shouldn't use it anywhere but outside, but I've yet to have anyone even notice any smell from freshly treated items drying in the house. The fact that it's water based removes many of the solvents that generate the fumes of aerosal can types.
What could be better about it? The awful, cheap, unreliable, hard to use, easy to break pump head! I had one that was completely disfuntional from the first squeese. If I hadn't had the working pump from a previous bottle, I'd have really been frustrated. That's a silly and inexcusable reason for loosing customers. If a $2 bottle of window cleaner can have a consistantly reliable pump head, surely this can. Another thing: why can I only buy 4oz at a time? For someone who's sold on it's merits, let me invest in a 12, 16 or 20oz bottle and cut me a little slack in the price for doing it. That's not advanced business economics either. Both issues are obvious and easily addressed.
Bottom line: Use it correctly and it works well with a lot less hassle than aerosal spray protector products. I hope this makes it easier for someone wanting to give it a try. Good Luck!
on November 7, 2016
I can't recommend this product, nor can I understand all the good reviews. I gave it three stars because it is easy to apply, does not have a strong scent, and I'm sure provides some (small) level of protection. However, it definitely darkens anything it is applied to and does not seem to provide anywhere near enough protection to make it worth the time, cost, and trouble of applying. It also changes the texture of the item to which you have applied it.

I have been waterproofing all kinds of outerwear, camp gear, and foot wear - both dress and casual, for many years. I highly recommend nikwax for suede - it is a pain in the butt to apply because the the item has to be wet before applying, and it does leave the item darker than before applied, but once thoroughly dried it is not terribly darker and still a pretty color, and the item has some serious protection. I have worn suede boots in the rain and snow for a full season after applying nikwax spray, and at the end of the season there are not water or salt stains and if you run water over the boot it literally just runs off and doesn't leave a mark. The suede texture also does not change and remains 'nappy' and soft.

I decided to try Gear Aid ReviveX for Suede based on the good reviews and because I wanted to try a product that was as simple as spray on, wipe off drips/excess after 5 min, and let dry. The bottle says that a second coat increases the effectiveness of the product and is recommended. I tried the product on a purse that I loved that was two tone suede - a medium light brown with darker brown trim. The product immediately turned the whole purse a muddy ugly chocolate brown. I thought it would dry back to its original shade, but alas no. It did lighten slightly compared to when first sprayed, but nothing near the original color. Figuring it was already ruined, I went ahead and applied the second coat as recommended after the first coat dried thoroughly. It sunk right in (if you try to apply two coats of nikwax it doesn't work - first coat protects so well the attempt to add another coat of the product just results in it rolling right off), and made the purse even darker. Equally bad, the suede now lies 'flat' even after having dried for two days and having brushed it well with a suede brush. It did eventually lighten to a tone two or three shades darker than original, but whole purse is still one shade now and it is a weird color. Water beads if sprinkled lightly, but if you touch the droplet with your finger - not rub, just touch, it sinks right in to the suede which tells me the protection is minimal.

Then, I had extra product and not wanting to throw it out I decided to spray an old pair of med dark brown suede boots I don't really care about just to use it up. Same exact results. I am going to try 303 fabric protector and scotchgard for suede next in my continued quest for a quick, easy to apply suede protector, but will stick with nikwax for those items I really plan to use in bad weather.
on September 3, 2015
Worked great on my nude suede clogs. The color after the spray and dry was exactly the same! This was my biggest concern. I saturated them twice and blotted them after I sprayed to clean up where the repelant had pooled on the shoe due to its shape. I will staw the suede on my shoes was very short so I'm not sure if a fuller suede would turn out the same. The spray was very easy to use and I had no issue with the stream. Great product!
review image
on October 26, 2011
This didn't discolor tan or black suede, but it did make 2 pairs of gray suede darker. I have a lovely new pair of gray suede heels, and I feel like the spray made the suede look "cheaper" and darker, but I wouldn't say it ruined them. I'll still wear them, but I feel like they looked better before using the spray. I did test it on the back of a heel first, and it didn't seem to make much of a difference in color, so I sprayed the whole shoe to find it did make a difference... so I'm not sure "testing" really proves much.

I sprayed a pair of gray suede Sperrys (slightly different quality of suede), and while they looked a bit darker, I actually preferred them that way. The suede didn't feel different afterward like they did for my gray heels. I'm not sure what "kind" of suede has this effect (are there different "kinds" of suede?).

I sprayed 5 pairs of shoes yesterday and I wore the gray Sperrys today. It happened to rain, and the spray seemed to do its job.

After spraying 3 pairs of flats, 1 pair of heels and 1 pair of boots, I felt like this bottle is nearly empty -- *maybe* enough spray for one more pair. I suppose that's reasonable, as it may be unreasonable for me to have 6 (actually 7... maybe 8) pairs of suede shoes... woops! ;)

Overall, I'd say it's good for black and tan shoes (not sure about dark brown yet), but be careful with gray shoes. Always test a spot, although my test spot wasn't an accurate portrayal of what happened after I sprayed the whole shoe. I would buy it again if I can't find anything with better ratings for a reasonable price.
on February 24, 2015
Honestly, this seemed like I was just spraying on water, and it did NOT protect my cream-colored suede Cole Haans AT ALL. They still absorb water and get dirt stains. I'm convinced that I received a bottle of water, just disguised as this product. The consistency was just as watery as water is, and it had absolutely NO ODOR AT ALL. (As in, I heavily sprayed my shoes within the confines of my small apartment, without smelling ANY fumes... I feel like that should not have been possible??)
Anyways, yeah - this product offered NO dirt/water repellent... pretty disappointed, especially after reading some positive reviews of this product before buying it.
on January 10, 2017
Absolutely Amazing - transformed a white couch to navy and it looks great! It took many coats - lightly applied as per instructions. So about 18 cans for a queen size / 3 cushion sleep sofa - definitely worth it. My family thought I was crazy to 'paint the couch' but it was in great condition and just needed it to be navy instead of white. I had about 4 cans that malfunctioned - sprayed stream instead of mist. The company promptly replaced them. Very happy with results. See 'before - during - after'.
review image review image review image
on September 16, 2015
If you need a spray to protect your suede boots, purses, etc. this is it. I treated my boots last fall and wore them to London in October! Rain, rain everywhere but my boots were dry and no dirt or stains. They look as brand new as the day I bought them. I wore them to an American football game, on the tube, walking through the city streets, the buses, toured ancient Scottish castles, an airplane and to the mall. No stains!! Not even a drop of water penetrated. You must buy this. Hint alert! Spray them outside a couple of days before wearing. Spray until saturated and then dry outside. Spray again and let dry. Letting it dry between applications is key. Don't spray too far from the item but do not get too close. Your goal is to saturate without soaking. Don't worry about the light suede turning dark, it dries back to light once the spray is dry.
on March 19, 2013
I used this on my Nike tennis shoes as well as my winter boots. One bottle was more than enough to do both pairs, and after 4 months of MN winter, both pairs still repel water like the day I applied it. Buy this product, you'll be happy with it.
on February 28, 2013
I was looking for my new uggs. I was afraid since these are my first pair. I read some reviewds to see if anyone had sprayed their uggs. The bottle is small and it made me wonder if it would be enough to spray my Etta espresso uggs. I sprayed a small spot and the next day I could not see where I had sprayed. So I sprayed the pair. I ended up having to rub the solution in. It made me wonder if ugg had already treated it for water proofing. I allowed it to dry over night as directed and they looked great. I tested them out by running water over them and the water just rolled off . I sprayed them again as directed. They dried quickly and look great. No discoloration.
on January 8, 2016
Very nice product!
1. I used them on my Bearpaw twice and water just fell off as if it was on a lotus leaf. I haven't tried walking in actual snow but I think it'll work well.
2. Minimal smell: I was expecting huge smell and used it in a bathroom with ventilation on -- it was totally unnecessary. I couldn't smell a thing unless I got really close to sniff the boots. The second time I used it just in the living room, and none of my roommates smelled a thing either.
3. It does darken the color a bit, so be aware. I'd say if you make a nice even spray then it shouldn't look bad, unless you're very particular about the color of your boots.

UPDATE: Hmm water still got in after walking in melting ice/water puddles.. It was quite some time after applying the repellent though. So I changed it from 5 to 4.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.