Your Garage Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Amazon's Choice Computers Limited time offer Luxury Beauty Handmade Mother's Day Gifts STEM Book House Cleaning siliconvalley siliconvalley siliconvalley  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch National Bike Month on Amazon disgotg_gno_17

Color: White and Pink|Change

Showing 1-10 of 619 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 649 reviews
on June 16, 2011
It takes about six hours to get the wax to the maximum temperature. I don't understand why they would call it "quick heat". I bought the unit so I could have heat treatments for my hands. I have Dupuytrens Syndrome which is a painful tendon/ligament condition. I dip my hands five times to get a good thick layer that will stay hot so the heat can soak into my joints. I use the plastic gloves then the mittens. I am satisfied that the unit can stay hot enough to keep the wax melted and at a good hot temperature but the amount of wax shipped with the unit was inadequate. The unit comes with three pounds of wax but needs to be at least six so one can dip the hands without getting too near the element. I use Gulf wax to fill the unit. The wax is a home canning product and with the addition of 1/2 cup of medium weight mineral oil will stay at the desired temperature for an indefinite time. The wax is cheaper than anything on the internet or beauty supply houses. I get it at the grocery store where the canning jars are sold. The mineral oil leaves the hands soft and supple and it assists with removing the wax after a treatment. Just shake the hands in the supplied plastic gloves and the wax fall off to be reused if desired or disposed of in the plastic gloves. My wife uses the unit to soften her heels after a day in work shoes. She dips her heels three times, I wrap her feet in plastic wrap, she tip toes to the bed and then I wrap her feet in soft towels to hold the heat for as long as possible. The temperature control actually works to cool the wax if the maximum temperature is too hot. One can drop the temperature so the wax can skin over for transport to another room.
1616 comments| 418 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 28, 2016
I have osteoarthritis in my thumb. The pain had gotten so bad that ordinary activities were getting difficult and I thought I would have to give up playing the piano. I went to a rheumatologist and she suggest trying a parraffin bath and a daily naproxen. I started with the paraffin. I bought this unit and have been using it. The pain was greatly reduced. I added the naproxen. Now I am able to play piano and perform ordinary activities again.

I plug in the unit and turn the heat to maximum. The paraffin melts in 1.5 - 2 hours. I turn the heat down to just above the minimum, wait a little while then begin dipping my hand. I put my hand in the paraffin for about a second and take it out. I wait a few seconds for the wax to harden then dip it again. I dip it a total of about 5 times. I put the hand in a plastic bag then put the hand and bag inside the mitten. I leave it about 15 minutes. When I am done, the paraffin easily peels off like a glove. I found this video with physical therapists showing how to use a paraffin bath: https://youtu.be/h9SSBD_ffjI One thing they stress is the importance of using paraffin. They said paraffin melts at around 120 Fahrenheit. You can scald your skin at 140 degrees. Canning wax and candle wax melt at 150 to 170. To avoid scalding your skin. It is important to use paraffin and not canning wax or candle wax.
on November 30, 2015
The paraffin bath I received works just as it's supposed to according to the directions which is an important step to take: READ the directions. Mine does not leak. It takes a very long time to completely melt, about 2 hours or 120 minutes, which is what the directions say it will take, but that's because this is not a commercial item. It's made for home use and it heats slowly as a safety measure so you don't burn the crap out of yourself. It comes with 3lbs of paraffin but I wanted it to be a little more full so I added another pound and that seems perfect. The downside is it takes even longer to heat up, of course. But I'm telling you my hands are feeling and looking so much better! I have my hands in water off and on all day at work and have to be very careful what kind of hand soap I use so I literally had big cracks in the corners of my thumb and finger and the skin was peeling off one fingertip. Very painful!!! The cracks and peeling skin have healed up and the sandpaper feeling of the rest of my hands has lessened considerably. So, for home use I think this is a great buy if you get one that works!
on March 14, 2011
The wax heats even more quickly than the instructions suggested, though I imagine that may vary. I figured after the initial use (where you're instructed to break up the blocks of wax before inserting), it would take longer, as it was in one solid chunk, but it heated in less than an hour and a half. I take the lid off to cool (and turn on "warm") and it's ready in the suggested 25 minutes. Yes, it's warm, but it's supposed to be. I have extremely sensitive skin and don't even like showers that are too hot, but the wax was comfortable.

The unit is the perfect size for me. I don't use it on my feet, though there would be room (I'm a size US 8.5). My hands are considerably softer after use. I've even noticed a reduction in fine lines. My elbows tend to get quite rough, but even days later they feel as smooth as silk.

So far, I'm extremely satisfied with this purchase.
22 comments| 179 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 8, 2014
Dr. recommended paraffin treatment for my arthritis. I didn't want to invest in a more expensive bath without testing out the effective of this treatment method. This is the highest rated paraffin machine under $50 and after reading the reviews it seems like a good and inexpensive test.

Product is exactly as described, does a good job and easy to use. Machine is sturdy but obviously for home use and not commercial quality. Very satisfied with the number of accessories this comes with as it allows me to test out the machine immediately after open box. This comes with 3 lbs of wax, once melted, I dipped my hands but it doesn't even cover my wrist. So I recommend ordering more wax so you can dip past your wrist and be able to use this machine daily. I already placed an order for another 24lbs. of lavender wax.

Experiment is a success and I will continue to use this machine until it no longer works before considering the more expensive Therabath product.

Note: In order to melt the wax quicker, I placed a folded towel in a large pot with lukewarm water and placed the 3lbs of wax on top of the towel over medium heat. The wax was about 30% melted by when the water boiled so I opened the package and poured that into the paraffin bath, set to high heat. I think this dramatically decreased the melting time.
VINE VOICEon October 19, 2011
After recent hand surgery, deep into hand therapy, I purchased this paraffin bath to provide some pain relief (ok'd by my surgeon and OTR). Previous hand therapists had used paraffin baths as a routine part of hand therapy, and I had always liked it.

As others may have noted, the Revlon Paraffin Bath is a bit of a bother to set up - but since I'd done my share of jam-making as a child, I melted the paraffin on the stove for the first time (do NOT do this unless you know what you are doing! paraffin is very flammable!).

I thought the temperature was too hot at Revlon's setting of 125 degrees, but I checked online, and this is standard for paraffin baths. To make the wax feel cooler, I ended up wearing a bag over each hand before dipping, and another after dipping, as well as the mitt. In this way I am able to reuse the paraffin - it is encased between the bags, which protect my hands from the full temperature.

The heat treatments are wonderfully comforting, reducing pain and inflammation, as well as increasing tolerance for exercise. I like smoothing on Egyptian Magic All Purpose Skin Cream Facial Treatment, 4 Ounce for a wonderful hand spa treatment!
22 comments| 99 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 17, 2015
The only barrier preventing me from giving this unit a 5-star review is the amount of time it takes to warm up. Give yourself about an hour if it's pretty full of wax. You have to plan in advance, there's no room for spontaneity here. Besides that, it does an excellent job. The wax gets hot but not so hot that you'll burn yourself. (The plastic safety tray at the bottom of the unit is also a nice added safety measure.) My hands are terribly dry in the winter, cracked and bleeding at times (and they hurt too). This has been a lifesaver. I soften my hands in warm water first, then slather with Gold Bond Healing Hand Cream. Dip them in the hot wax 10-15 times each and cover in baggies and mitts. I sit on the couch for an hour (! I know...a lifetime) with useless, mitted hands but it's worth it once the bags come off. (Why no thumbs on the mitts? It would help with the dexterity issue just a bit. Literally, you can't do a thing wearing those mitts. Not even hold a cup.) The results? Softer skin, reduced redness, less cracking, the moisturizer gets a chance to really soak in.
on June 17, 2016
Unit will not get warm enough to melt paraffin, returned and ordered Dr. Scholl's. Hope it is better.

6/20/2016 Received the Dr. Scholl's unit, exact same as Revlon except different name on the bowl and a blue cover instead of red. And this unit works as published.
on October 14, 2012
First things first: this wax bath works exactly as advertised - it takes roughly two hours to melt the wax completely, which is fast compared to many other models, and it's probably a good idea to turn down the heat some and wait before dipping once the wax melts. I'm the kind of person who is ready and willing to buy professional grade products if I can't find a recreational type of sufficient quality. And I am very pleasantly satisfied with this purchase.

Now for my experience: How long it takes for the wax to melt obviously corresponds to how much wax you place in the tub. If you have three or more lbs. of wax, yes, it will take about two hours. But the less you have the faster it works. As for when to put your hand/foot in, the instructions advise waiting 25 minutes after turning down the heat before dipping. I'd say wait five, maybe ten minutes. The hotter the wax is when you dip, the more heat the wax retains and the longer your hands/feet stay warm. But do be careful with "burning" yourself. If you have the plastic protector (included part) in the bath, you should have nothing to worry about except a bit of tingling pain if you dip while the wax is too hot (fair warning: I have a high tolerance for pain, especially from heat, but I'm pretty sure my skin would burn at the same temperature as everyone else's), but I haven't even come close to burning myself. Also you'd be surprised at how much of a difference the room temperature makes at using this wax bath.

Bottom line: not only would I recommend this to a friend, I'd recommend it to my boss or in-laws or anyone I would want to impress.

One possible drawback, though, that I should mention: while this bath is great for dipping, it's not so easy to use for painting the wax with a brush onto an area of the body, like a shoulder. That might have something to do with the fact that the heat source is exclusively from the bottom (which I can't seriously imagine being the issue), or that might have to do with the fact that I am yet to figure out how to cover the wax on any non-limb so that it retains the heat better (which I suspect is the real issue).

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask questions, if that's possible.
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on April 1, 2017
First, I think this should have arrived sooner than it did. Second, the wax took 2 hours and 35 minutes before it was "almost" melted after I broke it into several pieces per the instructions. Third, I turned the unit down to the half-way mark and the wax skimmed over and started to become hard again. I returned the heater to high and waited for it to remelt. Fourth, the well is so tiny that I could not get wax onto my hand and wrist both. To think that you advertise this as being able to put a foot into it is a joke! Fifth, at "keep warm" the wax totally hardens back up. Sixth, I turned if off for the night, turned it to high the next morning, and waited 3 hours and 48 minutes for it to again be "almost melted".
EPIC FAILURE!

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.