Your Garage Luxury Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Shop Popular Services animestrike animestrike animestrike  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Shop Now disgotg_gno_17

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 576 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,685 reviews
on April 17, 2008
I think it is fair to say that Ron Paul has risked his life by identifying the essential elements by which the power élite controls our lives. Dr. Paul is a giant in the fields of sound Constitutional doctrine, sound economics, and the philosophy of freedom. Having spent years reading hundreds of books on these same subjects, I can truly appreciate how he has not only mastered these subjects but has provided the quintessential reading list for lovers of liberty everywhere.

The book is a wonderful synopsis of the hopes and expectations of the Founders and how we have fallen short of those expectations and is sprinkled with insightful quotes from Thomas Aquinas, Ludwig Von Mises, Frédéric Bastiat, et al. In short, it is exactly what it claims to be . . . a manifesto - a statement of political principles and intentions.

And what are those intentions? A call to action to complete the revolution started in 1776. One man cannot start a revolution, but like Thomas Paine with "Common Sense" he can waken a dormant spirit. Let the revolution begin.
77 comments| 587 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 18, 2016
This is a wonderful, well-written book that uses plain language and clear logic to explain libertarian ideas and real world economics to ordinary people who may have never had exposure to the philosophy that was the basis for America's founding documents, or ever read anything by John Locke, Alexis de Tocqueville, Henry Hazlitt, or Murray Rothbard.

Dr. Paul wrote the book during his 2007-2008 campaign for the Republican nomination. As usual, it was designed to educate rather than get him elected and put forth some ideas that would clearly be rejected by many on both the right and left. Dr. Paul explains why the average voter must care about liberty and why the debate is not simply economic.

There are seven chapters plus a reading list that individuals who care about liberty can use as a reference that will lead them to further reading that will expand Dr. Paul's ideas and introduce new ones as well as more layers that may be useful to the skeptics.

Early in the book, in his first chapter, titled, "The False Choices of American Politics", he quotes Robert Taft:

"And when I say liberty I do not simply mean what is referred to as "free enterprise." I mean liberty of the individual to think his own thoughts and live his own life as he desires to think and to live; the liberty of the family to decide how they wish to live, what they want to eat for breakfast and for dinner, and how they wish to spend their time; liberty of a man to develop his ideas and get other people to teach those ideas, if he can convince them that they have some value to the world; liberty of every local community to decide how its children shall be educated, how its local services shall be run, and who its local leaders shall be; liberty of a man to choose his own occupation; and liberty of a man to run his own business as he thinks it ought to be run, as long as he does not interfere with the right of other people to do the same thing."

In the same chapter, he points out that it is considered revolutionary to question the accumulation of power in Washington has been good for Americans or to ask basic questions about privacy, police-state actions, social liberty, taxation, etc. Each of these is tied to the original intent and arguments made by America's Founding Fathers. He also points out that people like him are criticized for saying exactly the same things that the Founding Fathers said.

The second chapter is titled, "The Foreign Policy of the Founding Fathers." Dr. Paul begins with Jefferson's first inaugural address, where President Jefferson called for, "Peace, commerce and honest friendship with all nations; entangling alliances with none," and reminds us that George Washington had said essentially the same thing.

George Washington's Farewell Address

Ironically, he cites George Bush, who ran against Gore on the idea of a modest foreign policy that the Founding Fathers would have approved of and called for avoiding the nation building that was favoured by progressives. It was Bush, not Gore, who had said, "And let us have an American foreign policy that reflects American character. The modesty of true strength. The humility of real greatness." Of course, Bush rejected his own advice after 9/11 and Americans are still living with the consequences. I was particularly pleased with the emphasis that he gave to John Quincy Adams when he went beyond his often cited quote that America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy. Add to that the Henry Clay quote, which I did not expect given Dr. Paul's problem with Clay on other issues and the reference to Richard Cobden, and the second chapter is worth the price of the Kindle version on its own.

Dr. Paul makes it clear that the critics of noninterventionism are hypocrites because they do not extend their argument against the policies recommended and followed by America's Founding Fathers. He also deals a fatal blow to the neocons by pointing out that 9/11 and other events have been caused by blowback from policies that they have not just supported but in many cases created.

Dying to Win: The Strategic Logic of Suicide Terrorism
Blowback: The Costs and Consequences of American Empire (American Empire Project)

I think that many readers who are not familiar with the concept may benefit from the discussion on the just-war tradition. Conservative Christians may particularly be interested in understanding why their position is in conflict with a Christian tradition that has been around since the fourth century.

I will not cover the other five chapters other than to say that all are worth reading very carefully. I would also take a close look at Dr. Paul's reading list because there are a number of great books on it that I have found very useful.
on March 1, 2017
I started with End the Fed, but I think this was probably a better place to start.

As with End the Fed, Ron Paul is very clear when some things could have been too hard to understand without prior information about the subject (The Constitution, economics & the Federal Reserve).

Before reading Ron Paul & reading & watching other sources, I was a cookie-cutter feminist liberal, pro-choice even though my own beliefs made me uncomfortable, but I was told it was a woman's right, & just because I did not want that right I did not feel I could take it away from someone else. I did not know what went into abortions, particularly stillbirth & DnE abortions; & I never realized the cognitive dissonance I was experiencing. But what right do I have to take another life? What right does anyone have to take the life of a being capable of suffering? Babies have been documented of feeling pain starting at 3 months.

I felt like 2 chapters of the book (Money: The Forbidden Issue in American Politics & The Chickens Come Home to Roost) were quite similar, but I guess I understand why he did that.

Some of his quotes in this book are brilliant, I love "Truth is treason in the empire of lies." -RP

Anyway, I regret not reading of Ron Paul sooner, he is an absolutely brilliant man, and my deepest regret is not voting for him. I looked into it when I was younger, but I was so blinded by what I was told through the education system. I wish I had read his books sooner.
on April 7, 2017
I have purchased and read The Revolution: A Manifesto before and highly recommend it to anyone interested in government, politics or history. I have actually given away my a couple of copies years ago and decided it was time to order a new one for my collection. As a huge fan of Dr. Ron Paul, I thought it would be nice to own a signed copy of this great book but upon searching, saw they were all quite expensive. I wished and prayed that I could own a signed copy of The Revolution but ultimately, decided that I could not afford the expense at this moment and opted instead to order a random used copy from Amazon.

Imagine my surprise when I went to the mailbox, opened up my package, cracked open my new copy of The Revolution and discovered that IT WAS SIGNED BY DR. RON PAUL!!!!!!!! It turns out the well, read and used copy of the book I ordered was part of a Borders signed book promotion! I can't believe how blessed I am to have received this signed copy of this book, it's just so crazy that I can't help but to shake my head in disbelief!

I am EXTREMELY satisfied with my purchase and this book is now safe with me forever and a shining source of pride in my library.
review image review image
on April 20, 2008
Every election cycle, most presidential candidates write (or have ghost-written) a book to be released during the primary contest. These cliché texts are almost always the same; heartfelt anecdotes of formative years, hard work done to overcome obstacles and establish themselves in their adult lives, and finally a series of platitudes and vague commitments to right the wrongs, fight the good fights, and to put in the hard work needed to make the world a Better Place(tm). In short, sophomoric emotional crap that doesn't help in any way to clarify the candidates abilities, positions, or principles. Worse yet, you will almost never find a statement indicating the candidates justification for a policy position, references to materials they base their opinion on, or any sort of historic or scientific facts that support their conclusion.

The best you can usually hope for is a vague sense of "liking" or "respecting" the candidate. Of course, since they control the flavor of the story (I.E. the spin), you usually come away with exactly the impression they want you to have. For some people, perhaps most, this is enough to win their vote. Since all candidates are pretty much the same, they figure, the best you can do is vote for the one you see as likeable, with a strong presence, and a real-enough sounding claim to hold office.

This book shows it doesn't have to be that way. In his 20 years in the U.S. Congress, Ron Paul has written hundreds of position papers regarding our nation's policies. These papers were brief, coherent, and comprehensive statements of his decision making process. They provide insight into what he believes and why he believes it. If you disagreed with one of his stances, you could seek out and contest the very materials it is based on and argue against it using principle and reason.

"The Revolution" is as a distillation of those hundreds of brilliant papers, updated with current events, and interspersed with prescient quotes from the founders and other luminaries like Bastiat, Rothbard, and VonMises. This book is not like the vanity pieces produced by most campaigns. It offers real insight into the principles that Ron Paul has built his economic, social, and political world view upon. I would recommend this book to anyone, but especially to those unsatisfied with the quality (and quantity) of political debate in this country and hoping for something more substantial.
0Comment| 146 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I've been a Small Government Republican all my political life and have actively campaigned for Ronald Reagan and Bob Dole. It seems pretty clear that Ron Paul is the only politician who is willing to stand up for our freedoms and our American Values. The expansion of Federal Power over the past two decades (as accelerated under the current administration) has eroded our basic civil liberties and corrupted our political system. In this book, Ron Paul points to another way that will restore our liberties and make our nation strong again. It is time to recognize that both parties in our "Two Party System," have been bought and paid for by corporate and other nefarious interests who care for nothing but their own enrichment. Read this book and pass it along to others.
On a personal note, if Ron Paul isn't on the ballot in November, I'm writing him in and encourage everyone else who values freedom to do the same. If enough of us "waste our votes," in this manner we will eventually send the message that Washington needs to hear.
11 comment| 170 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 12, 2008
If you want a quick and compelling primer on the American philosophy of limited government, look no further than this book. In this perfectly articulated manifesto, Ron Paul demolishes every modern fallacy about the role of government, and exposes the effects of interventionism both at home and abroad. From Social Security to foreign aid, from warfare to welfare, Ron Paul shows exactly why "Freedom works!" and government doesn't.

The book progresses from one example to the next, cleanly outlined in chapters on domestic policy, foreign policy, and most importantly, monetary policy. This book provides the clearest explanation of what has happened to the Dollar, and I've seen a lot of those. It will infuriate the newcomers to this issue, and validate the ones already agitating for change. This book is a political red pill every American needs to read.
on April 30, 2008
Right from the start, Dr. Paul lays out the answer to America's problems:

"There is an alternative to national bankruptcy, a bigger police state, trillion-dollar wars, and the government that draws ever more parasitically on the productive energies of the American people. It's called freedom."

He begins by shining light into the dark crevice of American politics, the False Choice we are offered between the democrats and republicans, both Statists and Imperialists. We are to believe that Hitler and Stalin were on opposing ends of the ideological paradigm, yet, facists and communists are statists through and through.

He has very little good to say about the current Republican war mongerers or the Democrats that supposedly oppose the war, yet support imperialism when managed by one of their own.

His second chapter details the ideology of non-interventionism espoused by the "Founding Fathers," and shows how the current wars are in direct conflict with that ideology. He gives insight into the "blowback" from the CIA's meddling in the Middle East for the last 50 years and discusses the economic costs of maintaining an Empire which consists of 700 military bases in over 130 countries around the world - over $1 Trillion per year.

Chapter three is on the Constitution, what Bush referred to as "just a goddam piece of paper," and what has been seemingly forgotten by lawmakers for the last 150 years. The chapter discusses "signing statements," "Executive Orders," and states' rights issues.

Chapter four, on Economic Freedom, offers brilliant insight, from a doctor's perspective, on the Health Care crisis (Hint - Paul argues that the problem is too much government intervention). Paul also discusses, with intellectual authority, the problems with NAFTA and other "managed" trade agreements. He even brings up Sugar Quotas and William Graham Sumner's "The Forgotten Man:"

"The type and formula of most schemes of philanthropy or humanitarianism is this: A and B put their heads together to decide what C shall be made to do for D."

Chapter Five is on Civil Liberties and Personal Freedom, from The Military Commissions Act to the Patriot Act.

Most importantly is Chapter 6, "Money: The Forbidden Issue in American Politics." In this Chapter, Paul speaks authoritatively on the causes and conditions of monetary inflation -- monetary inflation precedes price inflation! -- and the remedy, abolishment of the Federal Reserve Banking Cartel and legalization of gold and silver as money. I am simply unable to do the chapter its due justice, so you'll have to read it yourself.

The final chapter is on "the Revolution" and how we can continue to fight for liberty as Paul's campaign for President was but the beginning of an ideological battle for liberty.

It is interesting that the only person, in my judgement, qualified to be President, had to be talked into applying for the job!
VINE VOICEon June 12, 2008
This straight forward description of the state of our nation cuts through the obfuscation embraced by McCain and Obama.

While many of the ideas were mentioned by Paul briefly in the Republican debates, it is rewarding to read a longer defense of Paul's position. Given the prejudice with which Ron Paul has been treated, this book truly is revolutionary.
on November 18, 2012
This book is the key. Once you've read it, you'll start to understand the truth about our government and ow it operates in its own interests and not those of the citizens. Please turn the key and open the door to truth.