Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: R is for Rhyme: A Poetry Alphabet
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer power_s3 power_s3 power_s3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now STEM

Format: Paperback|Change

on January 18, 2008
This is my favorite book of poetry for kids. It has a poem on each page based on some poetry style or form with its definition given to the right of each poem explaining its origins and structural format. It goes through everything from acrostic poetry to deeper more complex forms of poetry, and the author has written an original poem that illustrates each form.
February is poetry month, and every year for the last two years, we have gone to that book and learned a few more. It was my hope to just do the book the first year, but it proved too much. It was more fitting to our schedules to cover a few well than try to create 26 different forms of poetry when my dd was in 3rd grade! She normally redoes the poetry styles that she's familiar with right away, and then attempts a new more structured form. She's in fifth grade now and asked when we were going to do our poetry this year.
I got this book by chance from a friend who was a teacher and moving on, and this has become the most used and prized of all the books she gave me.
on April 4, 2014
Though this book is wonderful in print, the e-book version is VERY POORLY DONE. First of all the format is all wrong. None of the poetry lines are in actual lines. They are all just squished into a small space together. This is especially frustrating in poems with very little punctuation or no capital letters, as in haiku. You can't even make sense of what you're looking at. For a book on poetry, especially one that is trying to teach the importance of lines, stanzas, rhyming rhythm, capitalization, and punctuation, this is ridiculous. It completely deflates the purpose and power the poet intended behind their work and does NOT provide a suitable teaching format. Secondly, the pictures are just thumbnails beside them. Yes, you can tap and expand the picture, but again, it really takes away from the intended experience of the book when you have to tap back and forth from the illustration to the text while you're reading. They should be enjoyed together. I purchased this for my homeschool unit on poetry and wished I had spent the extra money and waited the extra days for it to be shipped. I was supremely disappointed, not in the content of the book itself, but in the format of the ebook. (I mean, did they even THINK about what they were doing???) Hopefully I can spare someone from making the same mistake I did!
on April 1, 2007
We purchased this book for our granddaughter who turned 8 this year. She loved it! My wife was so impressed with the book she wants a copy to keep in our home and she's not 8 anymore. It is a fun book and appeals to all ages, especially those who want to share it with children.
on December 19, 2012
Bought this book as part a study for my 5th grader. At first glance thought it was to simplistic with poems then I really took a look and saw the detailed explaination behind each poem style and wow I've been impressed with the book and will recommend time and time again.
on May 29, 2015
Another excellent book, in excellent condition, arriving in good time. As a former English teacher, I love the way the author presents different types of poetry. And the artwork is truly outstanding.
on September 13, 2013
Several members of my life-writing group made up of senior citizens expressed an interest in poetry, but they felt ignorant about the myriad forms of the art. When they were interested in expressing their thoughts in poetic form, they were daunted by the task of choosing exactly what form their words should take. This briefly-told but exceptionally-clear explanation of the major types of poetry is told as an alphabet book (which also makes it simple to look up a given form or just allows a leisurely stroll through the possibilities with examples included.) The poems are good, and the information is priceless for readers and would-be poets of any age.
on August 10, 2015
I use this book weekly to teach a new concept of poetry to my homeschooled children. This book is perfect in a homeschool setting, but it is also nice for independent reading by an older children; it makes an interesting read aloud; it would also work in a classroom setting. It's a beautiful introduction to key poetic terms while also featuring unique, original poems that reflect the term. Interesting concept for a book. Gorgeous illustrations.
on December 10, 2015
What an amazing book. Poetry is not an easy subject to understand and to explain it to children is even harder. We rely on fun books a lot and this one has been so useful to bring poetry a little closer to my children. My daughter has actually really fallen in love with poetry because of this book and has picked up several other poetry books because of it. She is now able to analyze poems a lot better and understands the different techniques and styles ! This book was also used along with our curriculum Moving beyond the page !
on November 28, 2013
Simply lovely! This is a wonderful book to introduce young and old people alike to the various styles of poetry. With winsome illustrations and funny lines, this book uses beauty, humor, and wit to make an academic subject palpable and memorable. My seven year old reads it over and over again!
on August 6, 2013
Enjoyable for all ages---a book which is fun for the read aloud sessions with little ones and colorful enough to engage children as they begin to read . Also great as an introductory to the world of poetry