Amazon Vehicles Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning whiteprincess whiteprincess whiteprincess  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com Ellen

on May 20, 2017
A life changing, spiritually enriching and freedom filled read. I read it in one day....THE FIRST TIME! It is a bookshelf keeper!
on May 1, 2017
The book I am sharing about today is a true beauty! Rhythms of Rest was written by Shelly Miller, and this book was nothing short of a treasure!

The idea of keeping Sabbath, while mentioned in Scripture, and taught in Christian communities and proclaimed in church each week, this is relatively a new concept to many. "Finding the spirit of Sabbath in a busy world"....that's the subtitle of this lovely book. And in our culture, in this go, go, go, constant busy type of living that most people are overcome with, this book and the beautiful concept of Sabbath living is such a blessing to read about.

Each chapter of this book contains such nuggets of wisdom and little gems of truth. The words will set you free and offer true freedom when you live according to God's design and order of things. He created order for a reason. There are rhythms and rhymes of every day, and that is a beautiful thing. A gift that He has given to us.

This book offers you rest, refreshment, renewal. This book offers hope, encouragement, and inspiration. I highly recommend this book, and if you desire to live your life well, this book is for you. And I look forward to reading this book again and again!

**I received a copy of this book from the publisher in return for an honest review.**
on April 22, 2017
This is the book I've needed my entire adult life. And I would have killed -- killed -- for it a decade ago when my family was literally falling apart under the pressure of ministry. If you have ever groaned "There is no such thing as a day of rest!" or "Dog-gone it, I hate Sundays!" or even "I'll rest when I die," then this is the book for you.

Shelly gets it as only a pastor's wife, author, and busy mom can. She takes off the burden of Sabbath-keeping and replaces it with the blessing of resting.
on April 21, 2017
Learning to practice Sabbath has been transformational in my life. It has led me out of striving and simply surviving into deeper grace, joy and peace. Shelly Miller is extending an invitation straight from the heart of God himself that we all need more than ever in our busy world.
on April 19, 2017
I have greatly enjoyed Shelly's weekly emails on practicing Sabbath over the last few years as a member of Sabbath Society. I have enjoyed reading Rhythms of Rest, and encourage anyone who is constantly becoming exhausted by life's never ending demands to read this as well. Our Heavenly Father designed a consistent reprieve from a wearying schedule, Rhythms of Rest can help you find yours.
on April 8, 2017
So thoughtful and insightful.. gave me reason to pause and consider. Recommend highly for those who love, or are looking for, those places in our souls that find rest and solace ..
on April 7, 2017
This book changed my lifelong view and definition of Sabbath for the good. I found freedom in the way Shelly describes the true meaning of Sabbath; not something to strive for or achieve; but truly a way of life. I have seen how God meets me more than halfway when I sacrifice even a little in giving him my time. When I let go of what I hold so tightly to-my time-he gives it back more abundantly. This book helped me discover that!
on April 7, 2017
This book has shifted my perception of time during the week and how I spend it. But the biggest take away from this book is about conversations with God. It can be like a stream of conscience conversation that is happening constantly. Shelly Miller's words taught me that! Love this book. Changed my life!
on April 7, 2017
Sabbath is obtainable in this fast-paced, multi-tasking, hectic life. It's about creating the rhythm of Sabbath that allows my heart to open, my mind to relax,and to see the deep love God has for me. Shelly opened my eyes to realizing the value in what I've been missing out on. Her words are eloquent, and moving.
on April 7, 2017
Why Are You Holding This Book?

“Are you weary and heavy laden? Are you tired? Come, he says. I will show you my ways. I will give you true rest. This, I suggest, is why you're holding this book now:  to hear that voice, and heed it.”  We read this in the forward by Mark Buchanan.
Let me share what I learned about Sabbath as I read this wonderful book:

Unplug

“Isn't this how we long to approach the weekend, satisfied with our work and ready for relaxation? Unfortunately, contentment in work that lends permission to rest seems elusive. Our work is never fully finished. And that's why we don't allow time for rest.”  It is difficult to unplug!  We or I should say, I need to give myself permission to unplug.  My work will be there on Monday when I return.  During my centering prayer practice I ever so gently ‘let go’ with the use of my sacred interior icon.  I need to do the same thing as I approach the weekend.  I must ‘let go’ of the past week and not worry about what I will face the upcoming week.  I need to give myself permission to rest!

Guilt:  A Roadblock

“Guilt is one of the main road blocks for making Sabbath a reality.”  There is too much work that needs to get done.  I need to catch up on work emails.  I must clean the house.  I have to write or read.  God does not wish me to feel guilty.  God has given me the Sabbath as a gift.  You must realize that the Sabbath is the Lord's gift to you. (Exodus 16.29)

Jesus Is Sabbath

“Jesus is Sabbath.”  What a simple but true statement!  Let me say it again.  Jesus is Sabbath!  Wow!  During my centering prayer practice I ever so gently let go of all thoughts, emotions and even physical sensations.  I sit with Jesus and rest.  During centering prayer Jesus is my Sabbath.  During centering prayer I let Jesus be my Sabbath. “Sabbath is weekly preparation and anticipation for making space in our lives for Christ to come.”  This is what I do during centering prayer.  I make space for Christ to come!

"What Can I Do For You?"

“When you are tired, depleted, worn out, and weary, imagine Jesus asking, "what do you want me to do for you?"  I often forget to do this.  Jesus wants me to release my burdens and worries to him.  Jesus loves me!  Jesus wants to know what he can do for me.  Jesus says come sit silently with me and I will give you the rest you need.

Rest

“Most of us don't spend time thinking about how a day of rest might look in a busy week.”  Even if I cannot take a full day, what will two or three hours of rest look like?  I might turn off my cell phone, iPad and computer.  I can sip coffee and talk with my wife.  I might enjoy a good movie with the children. It is spring, let’s take a leisurely walk in the neighborhood.  I might just sit in the family room and let the kids come in and out and talk to me as they please.  “Laugh, play, watch a movie, and give yourself permission for feasting.”  What will you do with a day or even a few hours of rest?

The Life Raft

“Sabbath is a life raft Jesus extends to us every week to prevent us from drowning in our work.”  Do you accept this invitation?  My centering prayer practice is a daily raft that Jesus extends to me.  In the middle of the work day I stop what I do.  It does not matter how busy I am.  I walk to my car and take a silent sit.  I return to my desk refreshed.  I am ready to finish the day.  I no longer feel like I am drowned in my work.

Christ Will Rise Within

“We must rest in order for him to rise within us.”  This is what happens when we take the time for Sabbath.  This is what happens when I take the time to sit with Jesus during my centering prayer practice.  The Christ within is love and compassion in action during my non-Sabbath times.  It is during Sabbath and centering prayer that I am refreshed and refilled with Christ’s love that is ready to be shared with others.

Next Steps
“Have you trained yourself to pause? Do you pay attention to your heart, warning you it's time to slow down?”  This is so important!  Why is it important?  “When I give time away to God first, I have the capacity to give myself and resources away to others joyfully.”
I will go back and re read this beautiful book.  I am sure I will discover new ways to appreciate the gift of Sabbath that God has given to me.  “Jesus is Sabbath.”  Let me say it once again, Jesus is Sabbath!

Rich Lewis