Industrial Deals Beauty MagazinestoInspire STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 303 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 346 reviews
on February 13, 2013
During the journey to improve my health, I stumbled upon the book Naked Calories by Mira and Jayson Calton. With regard to diet, all we ever hear about in the media is macronutrients (protein, fat and carbohydrates) and how they impact your diet. Here was this couple telling me how micronutrients play an integral part in what you eat! This was a real eye opener for me and I could not put the book down until I read it cover to cover. When I heard that the Calton's getting ready to launch new book, I could not wait to get my hands on it! My wife and I were fortunate to see the Calton's give a talk recently and I was able to purchase a copy of the book early.

Rich Food Poor Food is the perfect follow-up companion to Naked Calories. It takes the theory of eating nutrient dense, real food and helps us learn how to shop and obtain the maximum amount of micronutrients in the food you eat. It was immediately clear that an amazing amount of time and research went into creating this book. Over the last year, I have read numerous books, blogs and articles on nutrition and still learned so much more from reading Rich Food Poor Food!

The book is beautifully designed in a logical manner that anyone can follow. The perfect mix of science and practicality allows the reader to literally walk through the grocery aisles chapter by chapter to learn what optimal foods to buy. Each recommendation is clearly defined and you are taught why you should choose certain products over the other. I do consider myself to be a savvy shopper when it comes to food and I still found products listed that I should "Steer Clear" of that I do consume.

I have now purchased three copies of this book. One to keep in car for quick reference while shopping, one to loan out and one at home for planning. An added bonus to the valuable information packed in the book are the coupons from many of the different recommended product companies! This is all available in the resource section of the Rich Food Poor Food website along with other extremely useful tools to help you hone your shopping skills.

In my opinion, Rich Food Poor Food should required reading for anyone that cares about what they eat. We spend so much of our hard earned money trying to eat the right food. This guide helps to ensure that one gets the most health benefit out of their food dollars. Educational, entertaining and chock full of rich information, you will not be disappointed and I would be shocked if you didn't devour its contents as I did.

Thank you Mira and Jayson for your tireless dedication in leading the Rich Food Revolution!
0Comment| 97 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 4, 2013
I bought this book for one reason: To teach my kids how to feed themselves. My daughters are 16 and 9 and they've heard me preach "healthy" this and "unhealthy" that for years, but they have friends and classmates and camp directors and well-meaning relatives who believe "there's no harm in letting kids eat kid food."

After reading the reviews, I decided it would be the right tool to help my kids decide for themselves. On day one, my oldest flipped through to see if the brands we buy are okay. On day two, my youngest was quizzing her big sister on grass-fed butter. By day three they were fighting over whose turn it was to read it at breakfast. Believe it or not, this is just what I'd hoped for. They've taken it upon themselves to see who can figure out the "right" thing to buy when we shop.

The book is simple enough to pick up and put down, or flip from section to section and spot-check a food choice. When they stay with Grandma they'll need to know which brand of yogurt to pick out at the grocery store (and why). One day they'll be standing in the grocery store deciding which vegetables they can afford to skip buying organic while their friends are stocking up on ramen noodles. These are the important life skills even my adult friends can't figure out yet. (I'm looking at you, Fat Free Cream Cheese!)

I especially appreciate the depth of information the authors cover. You can't just walk into Whole Foods or the local co-op and assume that it must be healthy if the store sells it. Just because it says "Free Range" or "Organic" doesn't mean you're buying a healthy food.

The formatting is easy to follow. The lists are specific, both in the What AND in the Why. I could never get my family to read all the blogs and articles and research out there, but this book has compiled the information into a fantastic family resource!
on February 12, 2013
One of the biggest concerns I always have on my website ([...]) is that people are so intimidated by everything healthy. They are scared to go to the grocery store because they do not know what to look for. Highly paid marketing executives and bully campaigns from huge companies have made it nearly impossible to decipher what you are actually buying and later eating. It's no shock to me that we have so many rampant health issues running through our country. Whether the label is gluten free, grain free, organic, free range, certified humane, animal welfare approved, global animal partnership, grass-fed, USDA process verified, food alliance, gmo free or any label I am missing, it is scary. Companies try to steer us to buy their product by making false or misleading claims. This is where Mira and Jayson step in.

They have both dedicated their life to pursuing health and teaching people about better choices. They want to take their knowledge and share it with you, making you an expert. They tirelessly and dilligently created this wonderful masterpiece of a book to be your GPS (Grocery purchasing system) and make your life and decisions simple and educated. Ever wonder what to buy that isn't in a package and labeled, i.e. - fruits or vegetables? Don't worry, they teach you what the PLU codes on foods mean. 4 digit codes starting with 3 or 4 are conventional and grown with chemicals and pesticides. Five-digit codes starting with 9 mean organic. Five-digit numbers starting with 8 mean GMO (franken foods). That sentence alone will save you hours of research and concern and make your trip more enjoyable. They also go one step further and tell you the Fab 14 items you can purchase safely no matter what the label, and the Terrible 20 which you should always choose organic.

Worried about not knowing how to read this book to help your shopping? Have no fear, they broke the book up into aisles instead of chapters. What does that mean? If you only need meats and dairy at the store, open those "aisles", take some notes and head to the store. Even better, they have note sections where you can write down what you want to buy and you can use your book as your in hand "GPS".

I could write all day about the amazing information all contained within this book, but my review would end up longer than the book itself. Just know that Mira and Jayson have created the end all be all to helping anyone shop in traditional trickery grocery stores. They created a weapon to keep you armed to defend your health and EVERYONE needs this book in hand at all times. I have been living a healthy lifestyle for over 5 years always researching food and what I need, and this book single handedly concentrated all that knowledge in one place teaching me things. I can't recommend this book enough, do yourself a favor and buy a copy for yourself, and 10 to hand out. You can help keep the wheels spinning on the global food revolution this book will cause.

Thank you Mira and Jayson for all your dedication and selflessness in the pursuit of education everyone and making lives better.
on July 18, 2013
As a health care professional, I thought the book was interesting. But, I kept looking for the research, nothing footnoted. No articles, with the names really sited. This is as troublesome as the information they present. BTW, when you go to a dairy, as with the inspectors or the milk producers, bacteria count is still important. What lay person knows what is good or not, with the bacteria count. Some of this is basically flawed in their approach, the other things are good to know. But not having quoted research makes me skeptical. From one interview all this data is in their first book, which would have made it very easy to pull in to this second book. In this world of research best practices, wish they would have been more evidence based, not fear based.
on March 31, 2013
So far I have ordered Four copies of this book. I have one for the bookshelf, one for my kindle app on my iPad and my iPhone (so I always have a copy that I can access wherever and whenever I need to consult this excellent reference, especially in the grocery store, and when talking to friends and colleagues), one for my significant other, and one for my partner at work. I have never personally purchased this many copies of any single book, ever. When I find a product, a company, or a person that I believe in, and I feel they present an excellent philosophy with incredible devotion to customer service I choose to support them as best as I can. The Caltons and Calton Nutrition in my mind, do just that. Especially, with this latest book.

The Caltons have recently moved from Changing Lives Press who published their first book "Naked Calories", to Mark Sisson's Primal Blueprint Publishing. If you have been following the recent Paleo/Primal revolution you know that Mark Sisson, acclaimed author of "The Primal Blueprint" is a veritable giant in the realm of the movement towards following a more Ancestral Diet, and in general teaching people to just being legitimately smarter in the food choices they make daily. The move to Primal Blueprint Publishing was a smart one, and the added resources in publishing are evident and extremely welcome. This book looks absolutely fantastic. The simple to digest graphics from Naked Calories return, although they are much sharper and more polished. The paper stock is of a much higher quality and honestly the book is just a joy to look at and read. Just like in their previous book, the information is broken down with the humor and wit that Mira and Jayson thankfully inject into a subject which has the potential to be very dry, this is enjoyable and presents them to the reader as real couple, overcoming real obstacles, who have a real map, that we can follow on our quest to a sustaining a healthy lifestyle. Their language and presentation is not pandering, never facetious, and doesn't ever treat you like an idiot while they guide you through the GMO and processed Frankenfood nightmare laden land-mines present in the conventional grocery store and beyond. I honestly believe with this book and the information contained within you cannot help but be a more informed and intelligent shopper. You will be able to make the absolute best decisions for which items to place in your cart and to feed yourself and more importantly, everyone you care about.

For me, the best thing about this book is that the Caltons take the time to address EVERY possible isle you might find yourself shopping in. They don't necessarily preach a particular diet (they do present their opinions, but don't preach them as gospel), and it isn't a pure Paleo book (this in and of itself, is a TREMENDOUS step forward for Sisson and Primal Blueprint Publishing that I applaud WHOLEHEARTEDLY). Mira and Jayson present and dissect smart choices for EVERYONE, regardless of dietary dogma. Thanks to the Caltons, I'm a Nutrivore and I make the best choices I can, given the ingredients at my disposal.

This is one book I will not be loaning out. She stays with me.
on July 27, 2013
I knew the food industry in the US is injecting tons of chemicals in all of our food products, but just didn't know what foods and what companies are good and bad and what to look for on the labels. This book tells it all, what the chemicals are, why they are used, what foods have them and what foods don't, how to accurately read labels and ingredients, products to avoid, and suggestions for products to buy! Also got a book for my sister and one for my niece and now all of us are eating much, much healthier!! If you are tired of eating foods containing chemicals, poisons, toxins and a slew of other stuff that is not meant to be digestible and what is causing obesity and all the weird illnesses, you'll love this book! My kitchen now has all the organic spices needed for creating great tasting and healthy foods!!
on January 9, 2014
I am not an health expert or a fanatic, but I try to make sure that most of the food we eat are healthy. Over the years I have read books about organic food, superfood, and what type of food is good for you. Like most I will buy organic if it is easily available and doesn't cost much more than conventional food, and some things I always buy organic because the conventional product has received so much negative publicity (e.g. milk).

Clean and local eating is great, but not very feasible for most. I don't know anyone willing to make the sacrifice of avoiding processed food all together, and let's face it - is not very likely that I will make all the meals from scratch any time soon. What made this book such an eye opener for me was that it explains which additives to avoid and why. I don't have to avoid processed food although that probably would be the healthier option, but I can choose more wisely.

Before purchasing a product I have started to look at more than just calories, fat, carbs, and amount of sugar. Most processed products have ingredients I can't pronounce and should avoid, but now I know which ingredients I want to avoid completely and which I think is acceptable for my family. I have started to take trips to Wholefoods more often because it is easier to find a "cleaner" alternative to some of our food there, but my local grocery store is still the one we use daily. I still buy grated cheese from time to time, even though I now know that it contains an extra additive to prevent clumping (never thought about looking at the ingredients).
VINE VOICEon May 7, 2013
I've been following a Paleo diet for six months after being introduced to Primal Blueprint by Mark Sisson. I learned about Rich Food, Poor Food on Mark's blog, Mark's Daily Apple, and was intrigued by the wonderful writeup and from the Caltons themselves on their Facebook page. (It seems that one good book begets another, and after devouring Mark's Primal Blueprint and Primal Connection plus a few recipe sites, I was in need of yet another Paleo tome.

Rich Food, Poor Food was the ideal choice because it follows a logical mix of science and practicality, not to mention a good dose of humor!

The book is divided into parts with a "Know Before you Go" section that explains why we need a guide to why we should choose microonutrient foods and how to navigate grocery aisles filled with foods deceptively advertised. Part two guides you from aisle to aisle showing you why you should make wise choices for health's sake. There's a "Steer Clear" section after each aisle that explains why certain popular foods are poor choices (having added sugars, genetically modified grains and oils and questionable to downright dangerous chemical additives). I was astounded to learn there are fourteen different names for mono-sodium glutamate (with names such as hydrolyzed vegetable protein). Rich Food, Poor Food points these out so we can be more discerning.

Navigating each aisle gives the reader the best choices followed by foods to avoid and then sums up each with a list to take shopping with you. I purchased the Kindle version of this book but will be ordering a paperback copy so I can add my own notes. I consider myself a careful shopper, but in reading Rich Food, Poor Food, I found several items I have purchased thinking they were good, but finding they weren't. Another plus is that the authors show several examples of foods and recipes you can make yourself for Rich Food choices. One that I made for my family is their buckwheat pancakes which are the best Paleo pancakes I've tried. They even have a recipe for making your own ghee.

The authors name brands, both Rich and Poor to help the shopper avoid the landmines of poor nutritional choices. This is a book that should be in every Paleo household. I recommend it highly. It is unique in identifying foods based on what the health-conscious Paleo shopper is looking for, things such as wild caught fish, grass-fed beef, raw/organic cheese, organic meats, pastured eggs and dairy, organic produce and sprouted grains, nuts and seeds.
on September 12, 2014
The information is this book seems like a solid foundation from which to choose "rich food" in your local market, but I can see where the specific recommendations would become dated rather quickly. Learn the basics though, and you'll have tools for life.

The cutesy writing style gets old fast.

This next bit is for the Kindle version. The ebook formatting is really bad. Whole sections of the book are presented as sidebars, and you can't access them on a Kindle. I don't think I saw a single "steer clear" product, although I could occasionally figure out what the product was from the description alone. Like I mentioned before, the cutesy writing was no help most of the time.

Overall, not bad. I might buy the paper version.
on August 13, 2014
Okay, I appreciate the detailed information provided, although I ended up feeling significantly more discouraged and actually less able to "navigate" than before. Hardly anything worth eating? And much of that very expensive? Zillions of tiny details to keep track of? This is not very helpful, even if all the information is accurate and unbiased, which I have no way to know.

But my main difficulty is the overwhelming focus on problems and negatives, compared to solutions and positives. Scared and suspicious is NOT how I want to feel about the (wonderful) basic human activities of preparing and eating food.

A minor annoyance is that several interesting items of information require going to their website and giving them detailed contact information.