Workplace Solutions Best Kids' Books of the Year Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Gifts for Him Get up to $100 back on House Cleaning services RestaurantPV RestaurantPV RestaurantPV  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Metallica Shop Now Baby Gift Guide

Showing 1-10 of 45 reviews(verified purchases). Show all reviews
on April 10, 2004
I saw this when it first came on in 1977 when I was 13. Surprising how much I remember these skits. Overall, while it's unique, it's certainly a mixed bag. Like the Smothers brothers, it's quite daring and not surprising that it had trouble with the censors.
"The Richard Pryor Special?" is clearly the best of the lot. Basically, it's Pryor trying to get to his show and meeting strange characters with varied skit ideas along the way. Some really good stuff like the young children's choir (with future soap star Kristoff St. John) and the drunk lover performance with Maya Angelou.
A lot of the ideas that Pryor brings to the fore are unique, but some are just plain strange, such as the "Pet head" with Charles Fleischer (later Roger Rabbit) and "Black Death", a bizzare goth-rocker who kills all of his fans during a concert (this freaked me out and puzzled me in 1977 and still does today). Much of this humor is based on race relations and the subject gets sort of beaten in the ground after a while.
The edited skits makes one wonder why Pryor filmed such profanity-filled routines knowing that they had no chance of airing (there is a particularly foul moment when Pryor curses heavily during the Audience Q&A when there are clearly children visible in the audience). As he has admitted, Pryor had a bad cocaine habit in those days and it shows in some of these monologues.
However, it's also interesting to see the cast of soon-to-be's such as a very young and glamourous pre-"Night Court" Masrha Warfield, Robin Williams, Sandra Bernhard, John Witherspoon, Paul Mooney, and Tim Reid. So overall, you can see in this the direction Black comedy was to take from the 1980s into recent times.
It would be nice if "A Time For Laughter," the 1967 special that featured a young Pryor with Redd Foxx, Moms Mabley, Pigmeat Markham, and Godfrey Cambridge, would also make it to DVD as that was equally as ground-breaking.
on February 1, 2006
Thought that Richard was ahead of his time when he did this show on TV. It was funny then and it is still funny.

Was surprise to see a few comdedians that are well known today that were on the show; Robin Williams, Tim Reid, Witherspoon, Marsha Whitfield...
on August 6, 2011
The Richard Pryor Show, Vols. 1 & 2 plus Bonus Disc

I wish this came with a warning before I watched it. I laughed so hard that I cried. I wish all comedians were this creative. He used material that was way before his time. I wish there was more.
on June 17, 2008
This is Richard Pryor. Serious comedy. For all of you who feel this is not up to standards you're used to. You must be too young or you forgot what the 70's were like. This is real 'push the envelope' comedy. Sometimes you laugh and you realize, there is a real sad message behind what you've just witness. And sometimes it's just downright bellyaching funny. The problem was, television was not ready for Richard Pryor. The few places television allowed him to take us, he had to fight, scratch and kick just to get his point made. Does Dave Chappelle come to mind? You can't look at this as just a comedy show. You've got to look at it as a documentary. Be glad we've got this little taste of Richard.
on May 10, 2014
Really?! Do you really need to know how I feel about THIS?! Okay. But there is not enough space or time to write it. I will say this: I thank you for its availability. This is my second one from you. Thought I had lost it, but found it after the second one came. Now, I have two, which I will keep. He is my mentor, and he was a real genius. I love it.
on December 21, 2008
I had hopes that this collection would make me laugh, but the laughs were few. The "comedy" was very dated and disappointing, don't bother to purchase this unless you want to see what happens when network censors control the creative, comedic effort that was Richard Pryor at the time.
I recommend his later work that was not controlled by TV censors.
This is a nostagic look back and nothing more. It was interesting to see the young faces and developing talent of some of the cast members.
The most entertaining part was the "roast" and you can see that on YouTube.
on March 7, 2014
Richard Pryor was the best on stage comedian ever. The Richard Pryor Show was ahead of its time and would have been a hugh success on cable (i.e. HBO, Comedy Central, TV One). Network TV was not ready for this show. Richard Pryor's story telling and ability to bring characters in his skits alive was phenomenal.
on October 5, 2013
Very good collection of a comic genus. He is surely missed! i watched this when i was growing up with mom and dad
amazed at when there were finally black people that wasnt in what i called Black Faced HUmor no one was funnier and I was proud that he did his own brand of comedy that was allowed . he was funny without all the foul language that is used in jokes today . i am glad to have been a part of the time he was making us laugh!
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 4, 2013
richard pryor ,in raw form, keep me laughing, it was a review for a college course and the younger students enjoyed his humor as it relates to the reversal of Blacks treatment of whites in the varies skits, this artist was indeed a pioneer in his field and of course a trail blazer for all the followed.
on August 24, 2014
Richard Pryor was definitely ahead of his time. Many comedian such as Sandra Bernhadt, Robin Williams, and many other started on Richard Pryor show.