Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Listen for a chance to win STEM $34.99 for a limited time only Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now HTL17_gno

VINE VOICEon November 12, 2010
I grew up reading and loving Richard Scarry and his creative, entertaining Busytown family, and take great pleasure in sharing his wonderful books with the next generation of readers in my family. We own older copies of almost all of Scarry's works, but this one was new to us. I can guess why it has been out of print for so long - it's definitely not Scarry's best work.

This book lacks Scarry's usual imaginative touches, and his unique storytelling style is completely absent from the lackluster text. According to the author information at the end of the book, this work was published shortly after Richard Scarry's death, and I can't help but wonder whether someone other than Scarry was actually responsible for the final manuscript. Very disappointing... for a quality Scarry read, I'd suggest Richard Scarry's The Great Pie Robbery and Other Mysteries,Richard Scarry's Funniest Storybook Ever!, or Cars and Trucks and Things That Go (Giant Little Golden Book) instead.
22 comments| 29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on June 23, 2016
Ordered for a nearly 3 yr old child. Very entertaining. She really enjoys the Richard Scarry books, and Lowly the worm never disappoints. This book has a good flow from beginning to end, so each story is about 2-3 pages long, but it all ties in together one after the other.
We ordered several other books as well in the same collection, but Lowly has been the most popular by far.
on August 10, 2011
I bought this for my four-year-old son, and he loves Richard Scarry's large, detailed illustrations. He loves discovering new details and enjoys the stories as well. This description, of course, applied to all of Richard Scarry's childrens books. What make this one special is Lowly Worm, a character that only appears in other books, get's his own book dedicated to his adventures.

Some of the stories are a bit dated, but that is a minor point. It might take some time to explain the "ancient" technology shown from the era the book was created, but that could serve as a conversation point with a child ("That's right, when I was growing up there were no wireless phones!")

I remember some of these books from my childhood, so it is gratifying to see my son enjoy these classic works as well.
on March 3, 2015
I bought this book for my grandson's 4th birthday. He loves anything "Lowly Worm," and he even had a "Lowly Worm" birthday cake. It was amazing. I'd have to rate this a 5, because Ryan loved it!
on October 27, 2010
I read Richard Scarry to my kids, my grandkids, and now my greatgrandkids. It is age appropriate for the young readers, those just starting through 2nd grade. Then they can read it top younger siblings. I enjoy the Scarry book with each generation... We even love BugDozer in the books. My husband has a Bobcat Dozer and he looks like BugDozer going thru the pasture..... Jj
on March 18, 2014
I raised my children on Richard Scary, and now my grandson. Lowly was their favorite and for discipline all I had to do was threaten to call Lowly & my girls would scream I will be good. That is the wonderful & positive influence these books have on children.
on May 19, 2016
Grandsons loved it, in a month they have read it cover to cover many times.
on October 2, 2013
Bought this book for my grandson, who loves Richard Scarry books just as much as his dad did at his age. I just had to get it so my son could read it to him, because he always looked for Lowly in all the Richard Scarry books. Great to have a book starring good ol' Lowly.
on May 19, 2014
If your kid is a fan of Busytown and Lowly Worm, this is a good book to get. Follows the little adventures of Lowly and Huckle in short chapters. Some things are a bit old fashioned, but that's part of the old Scarry charm.
on September 14, 2013
The story is very nice. Scarry is a very good author. There are so many very creative ideas in the book. It is a book which is not only for children. Adults like me can also have fun with it.
Lowly with the broken leg...it is really very funny.