Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by Josh Too and the conflicts PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Tailgating ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 265 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 336 reviews
on January 20, 2015
Amazon shows a new edition of What Do People Do All Day? being released on July 14, 2015:

Details indicate that the new edition will be 96 pages long, so (fingers crossed!) perhaps the publisher is re-releasing the original unabridged version. I'm not sure, but I've pre-ordered my copy.

UPDATED 07/14/2015:

Received the new version in the mail today. It's 95 pages long, so I presume this finally is the unabridged version people have been asking for for so long. Huzzah!
on September 6, 2017
A favorite young children's book that they still enjoy when they are older. It's been a long time since I read this book to my son and daughter. My daughter is 9 now and still looks at the pictures and reads it herself. Lots of other books were labeled "baby books " to give away but this one stays on her shelf. Richard Scarry's stories and characters are classics of childhood. His genus was taking complicated issues, like the inner workings of a house, and illustrating it so a five year old could understand a furnace, fuel tank, hot water heater, and cold air return. In addition to building a house there are pages on Tom Sawyer's Sawmill, Foolscap's Paper Company, a train trip, ship voyage and bread making in Able Baker Charlie's oven. When my son was younger his favorite story and pictures explained building a new road.
on October 2, 2016
I had this when I was 4 and gave it to my oldest daughter when she turned 4, some 15 years ago.
I got this one for my youngest and she's loving it as much as I and my oldest did. The only thing that bothers me is that it's abridged.
Not sure why there has to be an abridged version of this classic for little ones, but it's still awesome, just a little less so.
on April 8, 2015
I bought this book on a whim and was pleasantly surprised. The book is divided into different jobs that people have such as baker, farmer, construction worker, etc and emphasizes the importance of each job and its necessity to make a community work well together. Each section/story has detailed pictures and descriptions that explain, step-by-step, the process of how a house is built or how bread is made, or how food is grown and then delivered to the grocery store. The kids love this book and can glean different information/concepts each time it's read to them. My 4 yr old also enjoys studying the pictures on her own, as the pictures are detailed enough to tell the story by themselves.
on April 10, 2014
The US edition removes the coal mining, the water, and the mother sections -- the mother section is pretty old-school (sexist and heteronormative) and yes, coal mining is toxic to air and water, but it's fun to read anyway and my kids love these sections; I was glad to find an unabridged edition without playing through the nose for a good condition pre 1970s used US edition.

There are some britishisms in this edition — Daddy Cat (Huckle Cat's dad) is Father Cat; and airplane is spelled aeorplane.
on August 1, 2012
This book is just wonderful. My son (5) is an emerging reader and it was nice that the title was easy enough to engage him right from the beginning. Each page takes you through the town and all of the different things that people could be doing. The pictures are very captivating in and of themselves. Even without reading the story to my 3 year old he was very interested in all of the little details in the pictures. He kept pointing out things all over the place. The book is really a great way to make little ones aware of different vocabulary words that you would run across in day to day life. We first saw this book at a friends house and she raved about it as well. Our family owns several Richard Scarry books and this one has been one of the best.

Happy Reading!
on July 17, 2017
My 3-year-old son and 40-something husband both adore this book! They spend hours and hours together reading and interacting with "What Do People Do All Day?" The amount of detail and creativity in this book is soaked up by my son -- I can almost see the cogs churning in his brain! This book will grow with him, too. He's so fascinated with the "how" and the "why" of the world, and this book answers his questions.
on September 18, 2014
Several reviews had expressed their disappointment at fact that this book was abridged. I read them but then realized that the unabridged version is now a collectible and I wasn't ready to shell out that kind of money at the present, so I went ahead and ordered the abridged version.

Verdict: I love this book; I didn't read it in my childhood so I don't know what I'm missing (in the unabridged version) but my three year old absolutely LOVES this book and asks for it again and again at bedtime. we both love the illustrations, the content and how much there is to see and absorb. I was worried that it would be too busy for my toddler (that he'd lose his attention fast) but that wasn't the case at all, he only seemed to want more.
on March 6, 2017
This was one of my children and grandchildren's favorite books. Now great nieces & nephews are getting to enjoy it. I would have preferred for it to be unabridged.
on January 3, 2011
Richard Scarry, aside form being a masterful, playful illustrator, has a knack for explaining things in a visual way.
Three examples of favorite stories in this book that you may really like too:

* The ocean liner with all its cabins, cranes, steering, rudder-controls, and storage holds. The whole thing is drawn as a cut-through so we can see all the goings-on inside. The flowers delivered to mom's cabin. The boo-boo cared for in the sick room. The humor everywhere.

* Building a house: The little boy Huckle, when he's missing playmates, watches the empty lot next door turn into a place of excavation machines digging, then waterlines, sewer pipes, walls are built, wires, floors, heating system, roof and 11 different phones installed ... a house is taking shape before his eyes (and ours). After the last painter is done, and paid, a quadruple-decker bus pulls up with a BIG family of playmates for Huckle.

* Another favorite: Forestry: from seeding and saplings to logging, floating logs on the river, carpentry and papermaking... and oh, all those delicious and intricate gears and levers that transfer the power of the water wheel to all the chipping, hauling and sawing machines inside the saw mill! Follow the little arrows, and see which wheel turns which way!

My young curious lego-builder has loved this book since age 3 or 4, and still does.
This book fascinates and charms with it's subtle humor and cleverly drawn explanations of everyday life.