Spring Deals Automotive Best Books of the Month New-season heels nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. GNO for Samsung S9 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Pitch Perfect 3 available to buy Pitch Perfect 3 available to buy Pitch Perfect 3 available to buy  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18SW_gno

on April 7, 2015
Rick Steves writes the best travel books for those wanting a more local experience. He is able to provide a lot of useful and practical information along with anecdotes and humor. You can really tell that he and his writing team are true professionals who are dedicated to helping others travel well. My husband and I have been using his books for European travel for the last ten years, and we've tried other books as well. We still think his books are the best! One small thing is that we usually don't like his hotel recommendations-they're more for the budget traveler. They're always clean and safe, but we use Trip Advisor more for hotel booking now. Buy his books for the next trip you go on! You won't be disappointed!
on January 22, 2015
I got my money's worth from this book. Not only is it a guide book but the suggestions and recommendations are great. Where to eat, how to avoid long museum lines, and how to save Euros were some tips they give that proved helpful.
We were only there a week (Paris) and we were told to get the FRANCE guide as opposed to just the PARIS guide. The FRANCE guide has PARIS in a condensed version.
on September 15, 2012
Too many travel books are confined to the average tourist who is compelled to see the "must see" sites. Steves, who numerous travels to France make him a walking encyclopedia of this terrain, is compelled to dedicate too much of his book to Paris and other touristic classics.

Not until you delve into the pages of lesser known places does Steves deliver to his readers what many others cannot. But, even then the reduction of pages and substantial dedication of the others make this less through than you may wish.

To the publisher, I would recommend that a new book called "Unknown France" be written by this author about lesser known places like beautiful Annecy, high hilling Auch, bay enchanting La Rochelle or Epernay.

Some of my friends told me, after I returned, that they never had a good meal in Paris. I never had a bad meal outside of Paris -- get the hint? The villages and lesser cities are not only more charming that the New-York-like impersonal multicultural unembracing Paris, but they depict the France which the country would be more proud to allow portray the national norm of this country glazed with adorable centuries-old stone structures atop rolling hills.

In spite of all this, I followed one Stevesism: do not take too many pounds of travel books with. In yesteryear, he would recommend to tear out the important pages in order to lighten your load. This is the 21st century -- so I brought my Kindle version with a few other competitors' copies (free as they came from the library) and carried those few extra pieces of sage information about the many cathedrals encountered (people Notre Dame has many competitors -- maybe better and certainly less crowded -- in the lesser towns like Chartres, Auch, Strasbourg, or Besancon).

If Steves could write more about the lesser known, I would hop onto that publication. And, I would hop quickly because the lesser known would become more known because of his strong following.
on March 29, 2015
Rick Steves only picks the towns and cities in France that he feels is important and appealing to tourists. HIs guide is excellent for the towns that he does highlight. I would highly recommend this guide even though there are some cities that he overlooks (case in point - Toulouse). He gives very practical suggestions on traveling throughout France, emphasizing what he feels his readers will want to see. It is not a thorough guide as other guides are which describe and give space to most cities and towns in France.
on February 6, 2017
DO NOT BUY THIS MAP IF YOU BUY RICK STEVES FRANCE 2017--it is the same map printed on a bit bigger paper than that already included in the book. It is a map of France on one side and the reverse has a Paris street map.
on September 6, 2013
I am not going to say that the book is worthless. The information in it is valuable and interesting but Rick Steve's travelogue philosophy is flawed in my opinion. He makes too many judgment statements. I have no problem with highlighting things that he finds particularly exciting, but I draw the line when he denigrates things because it isn't to his taste. Everyone has different travel priorities and I think a travel writer should be enthusiastic but somewhat objective. The biggest problem with this book is that it doesn't have Marseille. How can you not have an amazing, prominent French city like Marseille? Apparently there is a separate French Riviera book, which I could accept if he didn't have Nice and a couple of other Riviera towns, and Monaco, which is its own nation. That really upset me because I was going to Paris, Dijon and Marseille and I had to use other sources for the Marseille part of my trip.
on August 5, 2016
Good book - we used GPS and did no Toll roads from Zurich to Dion, then routed to Annecy. Annecy is Awesome - if in area take a peek. Thun, Switzerland is a nice surprise too. Driving very easy - no stop signs, just small round a bouts - very few cars on the roads, gas stations harder to find and some days closed, so plan to fill up at half tank (also would not take our chip cards, so have cash). The green handle on the gas pump might be diesel - if it says something like gazal (spelling?) - it also might mean diesel. Look for 95 something for regular. Better yet, ask someone. Most towns were 2 blocks combined - ha. Have a map so can follow traffic arrows with towns written on them, just in case you hit a road construction and your GPS keeps trying to take you back to the construction. Remember most side roads run to the main roads that run in the valley. There were plenty of pull overs without restrooms, but not scenic ones because they have let their trees grow tall. But still lovely scenery along the way.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on February 27, 2012
I have used Rick Steves' books in Italy and in France, and cannot recommend them highly enough. He breaks down what you should see based on the amount of time you have to spend, the best ways to avoid huge crowds, how to get things like museum passes and train tickets ahead of time to avoid long lines and higher fees, and provides his own do-it-yourself tours so that you don't have to pay through the nose for tour guides abroad.

The level of valuable information and detail found in this book about anywhere you would ever want to go in France (including an outstanding section on Paris, no need to buy the Paris book separately) is priceless and makes you a much more prepared traveler. The cost of the book is nothing compared to the money saved by the tricks of the trade he provides and the time saved waiting in lines.

If you're going to France, you NEED this book!
on September 3, 2013

This book was our first of the Rick Steves Europe books but it won't be our last. It has a nice mix of practical and interesting. The practical information is about the right amount of detail and the interesting and historical is about the right mix and level of detail as well. The book mentioned that Rick Steves also has a lot of free podcast at his website. We have used used them extensively in preparation for the trip. Also, some of the podcasts replace the need to rent the audio tour at the museums and other sights in France. Lastly, let me say that the Rick Steve's DVD series on France was available at Costco. It includes 8 of the TV programs on France and Paris. I think the price was $15.00 if it is still available there. We have enjoyed watching it. Neither the podcast nor the DVD replaces the book. They complement each other.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on May 1, 2015
Rick Steves is our 'go-to' source, and this book is very very good. We were a bit surprised to find that the city of Dijon is only mentioned in passing (it IS the capitol of the Burgundy Region .....). This is why only 3 stars. But alas, the guy and his crew can only go so many places, eh? Bon voyage!