Amazon Vehicles Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Gifts for Dad Shop Popular Services twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now Ellen

Showing 1-10 of 147 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 158 reviews
on August 20, 2016
I wish, I had actually bought the book much earlier then why I did. We (family, kids) went to Greece earlier this summer wanting to experience the history, archeology and a bit of the Aegean islands experience. I started with the routine research on the web. This book had all the information that once can think of and a solid foundation.

Caution: (1) As the title suggests, its for Athens and the Peloponnese. Its not if you are only looking for an exhaustive report on all Greek islands. (2) some of the pricing of museum tickets etc. are outdated.

Now the Great Stuff: The guide covers very generously Athens city, and then Peloponnese (Nafplio, Epidavrus, Mycenea, Olympia, Kardamyli, Monemvasia). Then it covers Delphi, and the 3 islands of Hydra, Mykonos and Santorini. The introduction section covers basics of visiting a foreign country (e.g. money, currency, mobile phone, safety, language norms, Rick's tips on his back door travel philosophy and travelling as a local). I particularly found the maps, Rick's suggested walking tours and the best of all his tips on what to do based on how much time you have, the most helpful. I paired reading this book, with watching clips of his Greece program on Hulu. Our trip to Greece went flawlessly and we had a fabulous time. Our trip included (Athens, Delphi, Olympia, Naflion, Epidaurus, Santorini and Paros. Thanks to the tips and research founded on this travel guide.-- highly recommended.
on April 4, 2017
I've traveled around the USA a great deal, and have never seen a travel guide I liked enough to buy, let alone use. When I decided it was time to see some of the overseas spots I wanted to see, I chose somewhere warm that I could see for less than a thousand dollars, and with the help of Orbitz I booked a trip to Greece. A friend pointed me toward Rick Steves, so I ordered this guide. I found it to be concise, helpful and informative. It provides maps and down to earth suggestions. I highly recommend this, BEFORE planning your trip. Unfortunately, I ended up booking a hostel far from the Acropolis area, so I had to rebook close to what I wanted to see. But with Rick Steves to guide me, I'm sure I'll have a great trip.
on June 24, 2011
I traveled to Athens, Greece for a conference. I did not know that the conference organizers were going to provide a local guide for a day trip to the Acropolis, so I bought this book and read the Acropolis section, downloaded and listened the MP3 Acropolis walk audio guide while the coach inched to the Acropolis parking lot through heavy traffic. On the site, Rick's book won hand's down: he (from the pages of his book on my BlackBerry) provided a much richer, more organized and enjoyable experience than the seasoned local guide. Again, Rick's personal and accessible style building on the fantasy of the reader, precise "I have seen the place" practical guidance, his opinions and intrepid cutting out unnecessary and unimportant detail made my day. Thank you and keep up the good work!
on November 30, 2011
We bought this book because we love Rick's show on PBS and he did not disappoint. We used the Athens portion extensively and found the guides to the major sites to be the perfect combination of history, detail, and humor. For example: Rick's guide to the Archeological Museum in Athens gives step by step instructions on how to steer through the many exhibits and still make the most of your time. It's clear from his attitude and enthusiasm that he loves the Greeks and traveling in Greece. Note: You can also download audio tours for free from his website. But, if you can't do that, he gives almost the same tour in written form in his book. All of his hints about getting around in the country were spot-on, such as daily reminders about which sites are open during the week and their hours. Since I am a total ancient ruins junky, this was very important. He also gives the best hints for buying discount tickets to the sites. Rick's City Walks give you a lovely introduction to the neighborhoods and an entryway into the local culture. We used these on the days when we didn't have a set "museum" agenda. We used his recommendations for restaurants and were pleasantly surprised by the good food in all of them (even though all the customers have Rick Steves' books in their hands). I was disappointed that the book had almost nothing on Crete, but then realized that its not a part of the Peloponnese! Crete deserves a book on its own. The true surprise about Greece was that almost everyone spoke English and almost everyone was deeply warm, friendly, and kind. Thanks to Rick for a great trip!
on June 11, 2016
Rick Steves European guidebooks are informative and comprehensive. The guidebook on Greece: Athens & The Peloponnese does not disappoint. I am not using a travel agent for my first trip to Greece (and Europe) but have confidence with using Rick's guidebooks and doing some of my own research that I will be a well-informed traveler. And I will be taking the guidebook with me as I tour Athens and Thira (Santorini) as it includes maps, directions, history of Greece and much more!
on April 30, 2017
An excellent guide for the first-time visitor. The audio-tours are a terrific way to get around. It was great for both Athens and the Peloponnese.
on July 16, 2016
Used the book on a recent trip to Greece. This is all you need. Be sure to look into using the FREE downloadable podcasts of tours. We loved the tour of Athens. The museum tours are also very well done.
on March 11, 2017
Great overall look for area noted on cover. Would like larger translation section on useful words when traveling.
on February 22, 2013
If you do not know where you want to go in Greece, then this would be a good guide. But I bought this primarily to fine tune a vacation to greece I was already planning (6 nights in Santorini and 7 in mainland) and it really did not give me much more insight than I had gooten through internet research, but it did give me some. I bought the kindle addition of this an frommer's, and I will say I have the same criticism of Frommers, and do like Rick Steve's better because it does have many maps and if something the manner a which attractions are reviewed (for instance, for cape sounion, he did state that if you are seeing out ruins in greece, it may not be worth going here, and this is the only place I've seen that type of comment on any destinations). We was hoping for some direction on hotels, and the book will only pick a handful to review where 100's are available. And I read in trip advisor for one hotel were reviewers state this is where the Rick Steve's tours stay in Athens, and this is not even one of the hotels mentioned in his book. Although that said, it is still worth the price to have if you are planning a trip to Greece.
on October 28, 2015
We followed many of the walks and recommendations and had a lovely family trip to Athens and Peloponnese! I highly recommend all Rick Steves guides to save time, money, and getting the most out of a trip.