Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Rick Steves' Italy 2014
Amazon Vehicles Buy 2 kids' books and save Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Britney Spears Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Celine Dion Shop Now

on February 22, 2014
I love Rick Steves guidebooks. If you have the time and inclination to do a proper survey of your travel destination in advance, there's no better framework for your explorations. And if you find yourself in a country without the internet/linguistic ability/adventurous spirit to find your way, having Rick Steves direct your itinerary isn't terrible. (Also I always silently read the introductions in that Rick Steves voice, which I find more diverting than I should.)

So. 3 stars. Why? I'm starting at Rome and going South, so this book is 70% useless for me. I wouldn't have bought the book if I knew its limits. The material present is 5 stars, but it doesn't merit being called a guidebook for Italy. Consider it a guidebook for the most traveled parts of North and Central Italy. Even the "central" part refers more to Tuscany and Le Marche than, say, Umbria and Abruzzo. This book is very useful for people centering their trips around Northern Italy, or doing the Florence/Venice/Rome/Naples tour, but its not good outside of the typical destinations.
on November 19, 2013
Rick Steve's guide to Italy is just published and updated for travel in 2014. Having been In Italy in 2013 and we are going back in 6 months, we know that the most updated info is so important. Also this book cover all the major sites. The fold out map has driving distances between the cities on one side and city maps of Rome, Venice, Florence and Siena on the other side. We also really liked the 15 pages of history tucked into the book. Rick Steve's tells you what you really need to know when traveling in Italy. The book is loaded with info, references with phone numbers, and lots of tricks of traveling on a budget. The book has different sections for each region, so it is easy to navigate through the book as you travel.
on January 18, 2014
We recently returned from a trip to Italy and found Rick Steves' Italy 2014 to be a huge factor in making this our most wonderful vacation ever! With so much to do in Rome, Florence, and Venice this guide was extremely helpful in planning out each day. I would recommend this book if you have a multi-city itinerary (3 or more cities). If you are only visiting one or two cities I would recommend getting his guidebooks for individual destinations such as Venice or Rome. As much as we love our Kindle Touch, we got the print edition for its ease of use and quick referencing (much quicker to flip to the page(s) we needed than to turn on our Kindle and scroll to the right page). We also got the Rick Steves' Italy map as a companion to this book. It's the same map that's included with the book, only it's much sturdier and waterproof.

Great recommendations on saving time and money, where to eat and stay, and a little bit of history for each attraction/museum. This book gives a concise and helpful overview of each attraction including admission cost, hours, and contact info. This book should not be used as a guidebook for individual attractions (it will not give you a detailed tour of the Sistine Chapel or Uffizi Gallery). I would highly recommend using Rick Steves free audioguide book app to save a few Euros on audio tour guides and as a great companion to this outstanding travel guide. We will definitely use Rick Steves guidebooks during our next European adventure and highly recommend them to our friends.
on March 15, 2014
As others have noted, this is not an exhaustive guidebook for hotels, restaurants etc. This book is very in tune with getting people to tour italy the Rick Steves way. Frugal on the ammenities but focused on the experience. If you want to know what the top sights are, and be able to integrate them into one extended trip (couple of days at each city), this is for you. if you are going to one city for 2 weeks, get something else. Others are better at finding great hotels, but Rick gives you a few unique choices. does integrate with his other web content, but the kindle version is not directly linked (wonder why?a0. i do recommend the kindle version if you can use it. the book is big and nobody wants to carry it around italy, the electronic version you can highlight and keep notes. love that
on May 5, 2014
Rick Steves is great. Where to buy tickets. Which attraction has WC.
This book does a great job of those locations it covers, but that coverage is limited. Overwhelmingly major cities/sights in Northern Italy and Rome.
Southern Italy is Naples, Pompeii,Sorrento ,Capri, Amalfi.
Sicily, Calabria, Puglia, Basiclata are not included.
on August 28, 2014
Bought this on our recent trip to Italy. Rick Steves does a great job documenting all details of the country - what to look for, where to stay, where to eat, what to buy and what to avoid. I did my homework before I went to Italy, and knew most of what to do, but when I got lost, Mr. Steves helped us. You will get many times worth of the few $$$s you spend on this book. A must have. My wife got so hooked to this book that my kids kept teasing her "mom - what does your guruji say?"

I only wish I bought a Kindle or iPad version of it (not even sure if it comes in that format) - this book is bulky and does get heavy when you have to carry it. Especially becomes a burden if you are going to multiple countries in Europe the way we did.
on January 3, 2014
I have been traveling in Europe four times over the last 10 years and each time I was carrying Rick Steve's books.

This spring, I will be traveling in Spain, France, and Italy with 3 of Rick's guidebooks on my iPad. They are even more useful in electronic form - the search is easier, the books don't weigh anything and all updates are current.
on March 18, 2014
Rick Steves' is an expert on Italy (and Europe in general). We appreciate Rick's opinion and candor in this book (and on his TV shows on PBS). Rick is tells you great places to see, offbeat but scenic areas / museums / churches, and places to avoid (because they are overrun by tourists, or as being too "touristy"), best method of travel to a site (sometimes he'll recommend the train over a car because there's no parking at a location), and other useful things like where to find a place to do laundry. This book gives you the best information on what to see and do in Italy (and he doesn't try to "sell" you on a location, but gives you the fundamentals to make the choice best for you). If you buy Rick's books a map is also included in the book and it includes useful info like driving times. If you're headed to Europe get any of the Rick Steves' books -- you won't be disappointed.
on March 17, 2014
I like this book. I've watched Steves on TV a number of times so I thought the book might be helpful as we are planning a trip to Italy in the next year. I enjoy his approach to traveling. He gives many options on price and luxury. You can plan based on time available as well as your budget. As is recommended elsewhere this book should be purchased in page form or in kindle form as I did but you have to have a Fire or as I set up, the Kindle app on my daughters iPad. You loose to much on the regular Kindle. Steves offers links, pictures, and indexes that just don't work on the regular kindle. If we make it or if you have used the book through Italy please post how it helped as I feel like I could plan out the trip using the book and would be most disappointed if that was not a good idea. I sure would like to know ahead of time.
on August 27, 2014
I've traveled extensively, and never with a guide book. However, a friend convinced me to try using one on our trip this past summer, and I was pleasantly surprised at how much the guide added to my experience. There is a wealth of information about things I would never have known to look for on my own. For example, there's an amazing underground archaeological museum at the other end of the plaza from the Notre' Dame entrance (after Italy, I bought the Paris guide as well). I must have walked past the stairway leading down to that museum dozens of times in the past, and never noticed it, yet it was one of the highlights of this most recent trip!