Industrial Deals Beauty MagazinestoInspire STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 251 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 283 reviews
After 25 years of international business travel, I only recently discovered packing cubes. Honestly, I thought they were a gimmick until I tried them. If you take trips where you're moving to a different city/hotel every couple of days, packing cubes are terrific, as they let you "unpack without unpacking" -- i.e., you can remove the cubes to get at your stuff, but still repack your suitcase in under a minute the next morning just by popping all the cubes back in place. They also keep items (especially business shirts) neater, and they're very handy when a security screener needs to go through your bag. My packing cubes paid for themselves the first time I had to go through a secondary security screening at the airport.

In terms of specific brands and models of packing cubes, I prefer the eBags medium-sized cubes over the Rick Steves cubes. Two of the eBags medium cubes fit perfectly side-by-side in a typical 21" carry-on roller-style suitcase (e.g., the eBags TLS mini or the Rick Steves 21" carry-on roller, both of which I use), whereas the Rick Steves smaller cubes leave a lot of extra space on the sides. Also, the eBags cubes are shorter (about 3" vs. 5" for the Rick Steves cubes). Personally, I prefer to use more of the shorter cubes, with different types of items in each cube (e.g., shirts in one cube, underwear in another, etc.), rather than stuffing a lot of different stuff into a larger cube.

Having said that, packing style is a matter of personal preference, and others may prefer the deeper and smaller Rick Steves cubes, so the real question is quality and durability. Both the eBags and the Rick Steves cubes are well made, and the zippers on both work well. I think the eBags cubes will be more durable over time, though. The Rick Steves cubes are mesh on all sides. The eBags cubes use a very light, solid fabric (like parachute clothe) on the sides and bottom, with mesh on the top so you can see what's in the cube. I think the parachute clothe (which is reinforced with mesh) will last much better than pure mesh, and it doesn't get snagged on things as easily. The fabric doesn't add any discernible weight relative to all mesh, as far as I can tell.

Whichever brand you get, it's worth the investment. Packing cubes really do make travel easier.

UPDATE 4 July 2012: When I wrote the above review, I speculated that the eBags cubes would be more durable. Sure enough, the mesh of the Rick Steves packing cube has torn around one of the seams, but the eBags cubes (which I've used more heavily) are still going strong with no signs of wear.
1414 comments| 634 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 22, 2008
What can I say? I've had these for a year now and they go everywhere I do. I'm an American living in Europe and travel every chance I get. Most of my trips are 4-5 days but I have done several one week trips as well. I've only actually ever used the large packing cube once...and that was for a snowboarding trip to Switzerland. I was able to fit all my gear...boarding pants, jacket, thermals, 2 pair of gloves, 2 hats, 2 pair of socks, and goggles...in the large cube and everything else in the small ones. I only ever use the small cubes for regular travel. If I can't fit everything for 4-5 days in those two cubes, I'm bringing too much. I spent 8 days in London and Paris with just the two small cubes and they were perfect.

It's amazing how much fits in there! Just roll it all up tightly and you can fit plenty. This was another one of those products that my husband thought I was silly for buying (that seems to happen a lot). I finally bought him his own set when I got tired of him trying to steal mine :)

The cubes are black mesh on the top and sides and solid black (nylon?) on the bottom. While I wouldn't call the mesh "stretchy" it does have some give to it so you can cram that last t-shirt in there. The zipper is strong...I've packed these things to the max for at least one trip every month for over a year and have never had the zipper split. It's also great when you're trying to get that one thing out of the bottom of your bag and have to pull everything out to get to it...you're not having to pull out socks and underwear for the entire airport to see.
on April 24, 2012
Mesh ripped apart upon first use. We've used our Eagle Creek packing cubes since 2003, when we took them on our backpacking trip through Spain and Portugal, then all over the U.S. over the past 9 years, and not one piece of mesh has ripped on the Eagle Creek cubes. These are inferior and I would return them, except the time to return has elapsed.

I would NOT recommend these cubes to anyone for any purpose.
on October 3, 2012
I used this set when my husband and I endeavored to use one giant bag for our week-long vacation. The three piece set is really two sizes, two smalls and a large, which worked well for us. Socks and unmentionables in one small for him, another for me. The larger one I eventually used to store gifts we had purchased, wrapped in t-shirts for cushion, and it was a dream.
If you like a little organization in your bags, I can recommend these heartily. The mesh on all sides but the bottom breathes really well, but they are by no means super structured. They yield willingly to things pressed upon them, so keep that in mind when you're cramming "Just one more" pair of shoes in your suitcase.
on June 18, 2013
I picked these up while looking on Amazon for different travel items. I was so pleased when I received and used these packing cubes. These are amazing!! It is such a simple design, but allows you to organize and actually fit more items in your luggage! My favorite thing about using these in my suitcase is that I can remove one cube and then simply put it back without having to remove several different items!

Definitely pick up these cubes you will not be sorry! I have used these on several different trips and they are still holding up!
on January 30, 2016
These vubes have saved my sanity so many times. I can have everything rolled or folded in the cubes, organized the way i like it, and be able to toss them into my suitcase and go. I usually roll clothes in the cubes to save space, and the cubes keep them contained.

The time i found these the most helpful is when i was randomly selected for extra screening at the airport. Time was not in my favor - my flight was already boarding. However, with the see-through mesh, , my belongings weren't strewn about, unlike the poor soul next to me. After getting a very friendly pat down, getting my stuff together was easy. I was the last person on the plane, but i made my flight.
on March 16, 2015
I've always packed with dry-cleaner plastic between layers, so using these cubes is a novel experience and takes some getting used to. The cubes seem well-made, and I like that they're netted on top and sides, so you can see what's in them all the way down. I also like the zipper opening on three sides, making putting things in and taking them out easier. They have a little bit of give, so they accommodate a surprising amount of stuff. And truly, unpacking is a breeze! (I use the large one for tops and light sweaters, one smaller on for my nightwear, and the other small one for lingerie.)
on January 12, 2015
I can't say enough about how helpful these things are for packing. At first I thought the idea was frivolous and then I ordered some. I love having all of my socks in one place in my suitcase. It's so easy to find the pair I want without rooting through everything. These have good zippers and are made well. I've used them for small items for travel and day trips. I especially like putting my snacks in a small pouch so I can see everything. It works well for cameras, children's toys, coloring books and crayons... endless possibilities and truly right at your fingertips.
on April 2, 2012
These organizers are sensational! Light, sturdy, partially see-through, compressible, and conveniently sized. The zippers work easily and well. And the clever design maintains airflow, so clothes stay fresh and fabrics don't start to disintegrate (as they do in air-tight containers).

I use them even at home, especially for accessories and for different types of clean underwear, so I can stack multiples easily and yet quickly identify which ones I need for today's outfits. When I need to travel, it's a simple matter to grab the right organizers, take out any of the contents that exceed my requirements for that particular trip (leave the excess on the shelf for use on my return!), and toss into any size luggage (even just an attache) for space-saving convenience. Even a single piece of underwear can be conveniently stored in a case in practically no space, because the case compresses (and can even be twisted or scrunched somewhat if needed, which is not true of many competitive cases). Keeps loose things from cluttering up a suitcase, and also keeps TSA handlers from having to touch individual items (they can see AND squeeze from outside -- which probably makes their job easier, too -- and yet still open each individual case conveniently if they need to do so). This system keeps both home closet and suitcases en route organized, while also streamlining my packing. Even makes laundry simple to put away, and eliminates need for bureau drawers. Hard to beat! I love 'em.
on November 24, 2010
Whether you are going on a weekend trip or a month overseas, you will love these packing cubes. The set comes with one large packing cube with dimensions that can accommodate a folded pair of slacks or shirt/blouse. The smaller ones are great for pajamas, underclothes, t-shirts, shoes, or anything else you might put in your suitcase or backpack. So here is what is so great: I can put 15 folded shirts OR 9 pairs of pants in the large cube (note that my clothes aren't a small size). The cubes do accommodate more than you'd think, because I have packed them pretty full. The clothes stay folded and neat. When I pack with the cubes, I can unpack my suitcase in a minute--literally. I just remove the packing cubes! Everything is neatly folded in the cubes. The cubes are so lightweight that they will not affect your luggage weight (important especially if you are travelling overseas for long periods and face stringent luggage weight restrictions). No shifting around of clothes in the suitcase anymore! The top is mesh so you can easily see which packing cube holds your pants or shirts or whatever. Also, the zippered cubes have sides that can be collapses downward when they are opened so that you can retrieve the one shirt you want out of the middle of the stack of 20 t-shirts in the cube easily without disrupting your packing. They are amazing. I couldn't get by without having two of the large cubes, so I ordered another set soon after I travelled with the first set. I've bought the cubes as gifts and found them to be heartily appreciated. I have never written a review for a product before, but I love this product and think everyone should know about it!!

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.
See 1 answered question