Industrial Deals Beauty Oprah's Book Club STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Shop Now STEMClub17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 45 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 49 reviews
on February 23, 2013
I bought two other guide books to find things that are inspiring and interesting in Provence - Frommer's "Provence & the "Riviera" being a good one. Those books are better than Rick Steve's for giving you an idea about what you might want to do. But RIck Steve's is the best book once you know what you want to do - because he tells you how to do it and whom to contact. He makes getting around without a tour group do-able and much less painful. So get another book for the "poetry" of the trip and Rick Steve's for managing the details.
on August 11, 2013
I bought the Spain Rick Steves' book last year (2012) and it was very good. I highly recommend it.

Unfortunately, the Provence Rick Steves' books is slightly worse due solely to the wrong pricing information. Because the book is a few years old, most places will cost more than what is listed. For example, as of July 2013, bus rides in Nice are 1.5EUR not 1EUR. Most sights or attractions are about 25% more expensive, so entry price to an amphitheater is 12.5EUR instead of 10EUR. Hotel prices however are mostly unchanged.

That said, it's possible prices during the low season have not changed. The tourism industry in this region has no hesitation raising prices during the high season, so prices can change month to month without notice. It's too bad, since Rick Steves has no control over this and that's the only negative thing about this book.

Other than the pricing information regarding sights, the information inside this book is great. When Rick Steves updates the book (near future hopefully) it will easily merit 5 stars.
on April 7, 2011
We have used Rick Steves guides before and are familiar with his format which matches our style to go it on our own. The book is well organized with an emphasis on walking tours. Information on sites is current and his website updates are a nice complimentary asset which helps if you have a guide which is a year or two old. If you want extensive information about hotels and restaurants this guide will not meet your needs.
on January 14, 2013
Rick Steves, as always, does a great job. But reader be warned, these types of books are best in print because you are researching different regions/areas and tend to bounce from one section of the book to another. You cannot do this very effectively with an electronic version - it is frustrating at best. I love my reader for magazines and pleasure books, but not for reference type books. I'll take Steves book in hard copy
on January 7, 2014
We are big Rick Steves fans, but he often leaves out great chunks of a country if it is not his favorite area. We wanted to go to Marseilles because in 2013 it was selected as a "European Capital of Culture." Rick's regular France book has barely a mention of this great city. The Provence book has a lot of information on Marseilles. It also lists information about smaller towns and places to sleep and eat that are not covered in the France book. If you are going to be in Provence, I would recommend that you purchase this book instead of the general France book.
on March 1, 2012
As always, Rick Steves books provide valuable information for planning your trips, on what to spend your time on, etc...
The only thing that he needs to include is a good road map. He has done so on other books (i.e. 2011 Spain).
on October 9, 2013
We are a couple in our mid-30s, traveled to the region 8/13. Had a great experience, the book was very informative, funny and detailed.
I gave it 4 stars because the restaurants recommendations did not include a notice that they will be closed in august. Many restaurants we made a point to visit, were closed in august for holiday, but not all. However, we wasted our time traveling to the location to find the restaurant is closed. Otherwise, all was great.
on January 12, 2013
I love Rick Steves books. They are informative if you plan to go to his places. However, the kindle version of this book, unlike others of his books, has no page numbers in the index to help you find something quickly. It makes it cumbersome to find something quickly on the road. I will bookmark what I can when I find it but that's difficult. I'll probably take pages of this book and use them instead of my kindle version.
on December 26, 2012
Very Practical! It will show you how to make a good itinerary, so that you can visit most of the scenic spots, historical monuments and taste all fine cuisines in all ideal restaurants that you desire, with limited expenditure and time. It is suitable for solo travelers, family or group traveling, and especially for those who plan to enjoy holidays with driving around the splendid villages and charming cities in Provence.
on July 17, 2013
I was disappointed that it has so few pictures and no colored at all and maybe that's why it costs less than other travel books. But the information given are good and useful, and with a touch of humor. The French phrases he provided on greetings and food/drinks are helpful for none French speakers. Although I had some problem figuring out his pronunciation system. It will be very helpful on my trip to Provence and the cote d'Azur.