Beauty Summer Reading Women's Block Sandals nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One Electronics Gift Guide Introducing Fire TV Cube Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon theaffairS4 theaffairS4 theaffairS4  Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

Rickshaw Girl
Format: Paperback|Change

on January 17, 2016
Simple story of an ambitious Bengali girl seemingly stuck in the confines of traditional Bengali female role. The relationships are portrayed authentically and with compassion for all involved. Great introduction to microfinance for young readers. Our girls whipped through it quickly, but enjoyed the ride.
on January 20, 2016
This book gently introduces kids to gender inequalities in some parts of the world. The characters are engaging and easy to like. At the same time, the problems they encounter provoke the reader into thinking about how girls are treated and how they SHOULD be treated. I'm looking forward to reading it to my students and getting their reaction.
on October 13, 2016
This was an authentic, heartfelt story to open the eyes of my children of what daily life, culture, and communication as well as relationships look like in another place, Bangladesh. I think we'll read it more than once!
on July 29, 2014
I purchased this book as I looked for international books for 8-11 year olds. This book does a good job of showing the culture. The end notes are also interesting. I believe this is an enjoyable way to learn about another culture.
One person found this helpful
on April 18, 2017
Inspiring story about a young girl who overcomes her troubles and situation with diligence and a fighting spirit.
on February 19, 2014
My daughter really liked this story. She's studying India right now for her 5th grade homeschool curriculum and this was one of the fiction books we chose to start the section off. She was very engaged in the story but it was was too easy for her reading level. She read it in about 30 minutes but really enjoyed that 30 minutes!
on December 16, 2015
A Forward think story of a young girl whose father doesn't limit her because she is a girl. Motivational for young girls and insightful for young boys.
on March 5, 2013
Every little girl should read this book or have it read to them. The illustrations are gorgeous, and the story is really empowering. I think I've bought this book at least 5 times, and give it out to my friends' daughters when they are old enough to start understanding the story. It's also a wonderful way for children to learn about a culture outside of the US (or wherever you live).
on August 6, 2015
My older grandaughter loved it and was able to identify with the little girl. She like the part when the girl pretended to be a boy and found that girls are just as capable as boys.
on March 1, 2016
This is a nice and well-written story for young folks that has a lesson in it for all who read it