Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 92 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 115 reviews
on June 21, 2017
Overall, very interesting. Incredible scenery. My biggest complaint is that they just flat-out dropped the ball in filming the most difficult sections in Canada the first couple of days. Also, most of the footage is from their vehicle, as opposed to a go-pro or someone riding next to the racers. In other words, you get a spectator's view of the race, rather than the rider's view. Also, they did not do a really good job of explaining why the main subject quit the race when he did. I would also have liked to see some filming of the group of 4 and insight as to whether riding together made it a more bearable journey for them. But, overall it is a great documentary and I would recommend it to anyone interested about the Tour Divide.
on March 1, 2017
It was okay......... now, having said that, I LOVE a cycling documentary, so I figure I got my 2.99 worth from it. however.... although same director, it just wasn't up to Inspired to Ride which I've watched all the way trough at least three times now. The characters in Ride to Divide either weren't as interesting as in the other documentary, or the director didn't do the character development that was so awesome in the Inspired to Ride. I would recommend this documentary to anyone who loves cycling documentaries, but don't expect it to be at the same level of enjoyment as Inspired to Ride was. What I took away from this film is I would never, never, NEVER want to ride the divide, while I am actually contemplating riding the Trans America cycling trail some day.
on May 15, 2016
For those of us who have ridden even a segment of the Great Divide Mountain Bike Route (I've led several Adventure Cycling tours on it), or if you simply dream about riding it, this video is a must-have. It covers one of the annual races on this route, so it does not present a typical experience, but the photography is excellent.
on May 8, 2016
I got my money's worth. Fascinating subject matter if you are into cycling/bikes/backpacking type things. Some beautiful footage in there too. However, the over all execution of this documentary was rather weak most likely due to a limited budget and/or crew. Too many times someone has to explain an interesting event that has taken place instead of us audience members actually seeing it. The main 'characters' are underdeveloped because of this. Still, there is a great documentary waiting to be made here because the ride itself is just that cool. Overall, not a bad watch if you're into adventure biking.
on May 14, 2015
I enjoyed this documentary very much. While I am an avid mountain biker, these riders are from another planet. Very cool that there are people out there willing to take on an epic adventure riding from Canada to Mexico. This ride is on my bucket list but will take a much slower pace than these animals!
on January 19, 2014
Perhaps this documentary appeals only to those who mountain bike or bike in general. I think you have to have some frame of reference for this type of ride/race in order to understand the sheer magnitude of the challenge. As for the film... I enjoyed it completely. Filming the GDR had to be a huge challenge as it is a race like no other. There were certainly times when I wished the crew could have captured certain shots and even parts of the race (Banff snow crossing) that we weren't privy to, but that's the nature of this unbelievable event; no race banners and support stations, no fancy sponsorships and some of the most unrelentingly beautiful terrain. I once rode my mountain bike 30 miles in rough conditions without stopping. I whined like a little baby, was completely wiped out for the rest of the day and sore for at least another four. After watching these brave souls ride the Divide, I will never complain again.
on November 12, 2015
I really enjoyed this film -- it really depicts what these athletes go through (both physically and mentally), and also shows the the incredible scenery of America. While Riding the Divide was an epic movie, Mike Dion took this film to the next level in terms of cinematography. The bonus features on the DVD are great too -- at length interviews with the athletes, and even a "how-to" by Mike Hall. I highly recommend this film.
on August 30, 2016
If you are into endurance/ultra riding it will be pretty interesting imho. Also interesting to watch the psychology that evolves.
on March 7, 2017
Watch while you ride your exercise bike. A great and inspiring movie.
on July 26, 2016
Kind of a mixed bag. I'll give you my $.10

I've ridden a lot of the northern route at various times since about 2006. Never the full route at one time. None of the NM area. Frankly, as described in the movie, there are some very boring stretches when you wish someone was there with you. That leaves the landscape as your primary entertainment which can be extremely beautiful. And you have to remember in 2009, there weren't many people racing the TD. Last month over 150 were at the grand depart. Bicycle companies now have bikepacking / adventure specific hardware. So the TD and bikepacking in general have become more mainstream in a lot of ways. That affects the movie today.

The movie falls short in three ways:
1. Scenery... didn't seem to capture it very well at all. It's way more beautiful than shown.
2. Personal stories... pretty thin and not well developed. really wanted some more personal stuff.
3. The difficulty of the ride as a whole was glossed over. Just did not address it enough visually or in a quantifiable way.

Looking at the movie 6 years removed, the amateurism of it all really does match what the TD event ethos. Self-supported, kind of off the grid... grass-roots style. What the movie lacks is also why it's endearing to the TD around the release date (2009-2010). I'm sure in another four years, this movie will be a touchstone. But in 2016, the TD different. So different that I think they should either make a new movie, or a sequel.

Use the movie Meru as a guide to capturing the three shortfalls above. Get more rider-produced content in the story.