Industrial Deals Beauty MagazinestoInspire STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-8 of 8 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 14 reviews
on May 15, 2015
This is a beast of a belt sander. I haven't put that many miles on it yet, but it's performed well on what I have used it. So far I'd highly recommend.
on September 22, 2016
I am an experienced woodworker and cabinet-maker with over 40 years experience, and I have used (and owned) several belt sanders in the past.

But recently I had to sand areas of a large deck that the floor sander couldn't reach, and my "old reliable" belt sander had recently shredded and then jammed a belt under its front roller, leaving it unable to track and keep its belt on. As the cost to repair was quoted as "well over $200" for a sander which originally cost about half that I decided to find a replacement. Because I had previously used the same sander for several months and was familiar with it I would have bought this item new, but Ridgid stopped making it about 3 years ago, and a new one was simply not available.

Fortunately for me I found this one in used condition (missing its bag) and since I had previously used one and was familiar with it, I took a chance and bought it anyway. After replacing the bag (and the front pommel) this sander is still just as good as the ones I had used previously.

I have seen the reviews, but having actually used 2 of these to help a friend who was playing "this old house" on an 1890's victorian, I have to disagree with several of them. He had two of these, and neither of them gave any problems. I once used one of these for 4 days straight running the sander almost continuously for 8 hours each day. Yes, it got hot, but I had not one single problem with the motor, with tracking, or with anything else (except the bag which filled up too fast).

The single thing that I can find to complain about with this sander is that there is no easy way to connect a shop vacuum hose to it to avoid having to dump the bag every few minutes. It can be done - we used a PVC pipe, a heat gun, and a rasp to shape a connector appropriately to fit the port. It was a little clumsbey, but it did work, and personally I think that Ridgid should have included a similar adapter with the sander in the first place.

So far I have only used this one for about 30 hours, but I have had no problems with it and would buy it again. The power is excellent and the top speed for 1500 fps makes for fast stock removal (even with epay and purpleheart, or even very tough "exotic" woods) while the "soft" start makes it a lot easier to control than a sander which immediately goes to full speed when the trigger is pulled.

There are a couple of "cons" to this sander, but I think they are outweighed by the many "pro's" - but to be complete I'll list them here.

CONS:
1. It's heavy. If you're working on a vertical surface (door frames come to mind) all day, your arms are going to get VERY tired.
2. It uses 10 amps. You'll need to use a 12-gauge extension cord - not the common 14-gauge.
3. Like the new (and far smaller) 2740, this sander has "automatic tracking" - but I find the manual adjustment knob to be very useful depending on what I'm sanding, grit# of the belt, etc.
4. The sander bag is smaller than I'd like but is about par for other sanders of this size - and Ridgid didn't/doesn't offer a vacuum hose adapter.
5. If you are EXTREMELY careless it would be possible to get a finger between the belt and the roller. BUT you'd almost have to try to do that intentionally if you are using the sander with one hand on the handle and the other on the front pommel. (You can also shoot yourself in the foot if you really try - but I wouldn't recommend doing that either...)
6. It doesn't come with a carry bag or case (one is available from Amazon Ridgid/Ryobi Replacement Part 901054002 TOOL BAG at a pretty fair price.
7. It's heavy enough to burn through a thin veneer very quickly - but if you're sanding veneer with a belt sander then you have to expect that with ANY sander - belt or orbital.
8. Turning it over on its back to use it as a stationary tool is possible, but you have to make your own cradle - to get one which does that "automatically" you'd need to buy the Ryobi or Bosch sanders (but then like this one those two are no longer made... sigh).

In truth I've used these before and have never seen or heard of the motor issues that people have reported, so I can't comment on those, and I won't even try to comment on the problems of the people who expect to get the full NEW tool warranty when buying a used or refurbished tool.

Overall (and as I already said) I'd buy one of these new if it were available, and I'm very happy to have found this one in used condition on Amazon.
on July 24, 2014
Just What I needed
on September 24, 2012
The front handle broke off the first week I used it. Works ok even without the handle, but it gets hot pretty quickly. Not a tool for someone who uses a belt sander everyday. It does track well and works fine for the occasional user. Steve in cleveland
on August 9, 2011
Good tracking,lots of power,little on the dusty side,bud I'll be figuring out attaching universal adapter to be able to plug in my Ridgid 10 gal shop vac.Dont hesitate amazing sander!!!!
on October 4, 2011
I looked high and low for a belt sander that was a good price but wasn't one of those discounted garbage brands. After quite a bit of research I ended up with the Rigid and am glad I did. Belts align easy, trigger pull is steady but a bit slow to engage the motor at times. I used this with some gator belts from the local home improvement store and they worked like a champ. It tore through aluminum and wood without any hesitation. Great sander at a great price.
on February 26, 2012
The product itself, is really quite good.................. BUT

....if you decide to order this brand based on the "assumption" that they will warrantee their product for life as advertised..... READ THIS:

After filling out the required paperwork, sales receipt, UPC code from box, and so on..... I eventually received a standard note from their corp office aka: "TTI Techtronic Industries North America, Inc. stating that since I had purchased this from Amazon, thru one of their distributors...in this case "CPO" [or any other of their distributors], Ridgid revoked the warrantee guarantee since the [and I quote] "Product was purchased from an unauthorized Retailer". Apparently, the ONLY authorized Retailer that Ridgid will affiliate with, is Home Depot. No where in their ads, does Ridgid make the assertion that their product MUST be purchased from Home Depot. In short, that's a deception to the buyers at large.

In sum.... If a "lifetime warrantee" is that important to your decision making, than buy this product ONLY at The Home Depot.

UPDATE as of 04/29/14
There may very well be a way of purchasing this item through Amazon, and STILL have a FULL WARRANTEE....and that is, to register the product as a GIFT, and not as a personal purchase. I recently did that with another product, a DeWALT, and when the GIFT option came up in the on-line paperwork, there were no options as to where it had been purchased. Something to consider... ;0)
on March 26, 2013
Only refurbished ones available today,. The best things in life are always discontinued. Darn it. It is heavy but it gets the job done. It takes a licking but keeps on ticking.