- Paperback: 400 pages
- Publisher: Scribner; Reprint edition (February 6, 2007)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0743276833
- ISBN-13: 978-0743276832
- Product Dimensions: 5.5 x 1.1 x 8.4 inches
- Shipping Weight: 12.6 ounces (View shipping rates and policies)
- Average Customer Review: 267 customer reviews
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #101,638 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Other Sellers on Amazon
+ $3.99 shipping
+ $3.99 shipping
Riding Rockets: The Outrageous Tales of a Space Shuttle Astronaut Paperback – February 6, 2007
|New from||Used from|
See the Best Books of the Month
Looking for something great to read? Browse our editors' picks for the best books of the month in fiction, nonfiction, mysteries, children's books, and much more.
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
"Space-age America in all its glory and folly as seen through the eyes of a remarkable writer who has brilliantly captured the triumphant and tragic years of the space shuttle era. Riding Rockets soars."
-- Homer Hickam, author of Rocket Boys
-- Entertainment Weekly
"This is not your father's astronaut memoir.... Mullane's story rings true every adventurous step of the way."
-- Rocky Mountain News
"Funny, harrowing, tragic...Riding Rockets is a thrill, from start to finish."
-- St. Louis Post-Dispatch
About the Author
Upon his graduation from West Point in 1967, Mike Mullane was commissioned in the USAF. He flew 134 combat missions in Vietnam. Selected in the first group of space shuttle astronauts, he completed three space missions. He lives in Albuquerque, New Mexico, with his wife, Donna, and enjoys the challenge of Colorado's fourteen-thousand-foot peaks -- six climbed, forty-seven to go. He is also an acclaimed motivational speaker.
For more information visit www.MikeMullane.com.
Top customer reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
But "Riding Rockets" doesn't just tell a story about going into space, it also tells a touching story of a male chauvanist pig -- a product of his time and his career -- who grew to finally appreciate the female half of our world, and to recognize the special challenges women have faced over the last few decades trying to succeed in a world too often stacked against them. I am married to just one such woman, and after 34 years of marriage I can agree with Gov. Ann Richard's assertion that "Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but backwards and in high heels".
This book should be required reading for anyone interested in the space program. Lets just hope that Astronaut Mullane's honest insights into the failings at NASA gets noticed before we unnecessarily doom more Challengers and Columbias to a horrible and avoidable demise.
Not only was I constantly "having a great time" reading his prose, but I was also learning interesting background and "behind the scenes" information relating to the shuttle program.
Maybe there is no surprise here, but I found it interesting to hear how much fear was involved during takeoff while at the same time that same astronaut would "kill" to do it all over again - with no hesitation.
There are so many good things to say about this book but nobody wants to read a review containing spoilers so .... no spoilers here.
I really enjoyed this book!
One of the best parts of the book is his relationship with the witty, but guarded, Judy Resnik. Yes, Mike had a massive hard-on for Judy, but most guys at NASA probably did. She comes across as trying to fit in and be one of the guys without pushing a feminasty agenda, unlike another female astronaut, who shall remain unnamed. It's sad that Judy died on Challenger. She seemed very dedicated and suffered her fate because of those making incompetent decisions above her. Mike discusses this bureaucratic idiocy quite a bit in the book.
All and all this is a great read. You will laugh 75% of the time, and be sad and angry the other 25%. One of the "Original Six" female astronauts, Rhea Seddon, wrote a memoir recently from the ladies perspective. I can't wait to read that as well.
Thank you, Mike, for sharing these stories.