- File Size: 411 KB
- Print Length: 232 pages
- Publication Date: September 23, 2009
- Sold by: Amazon Digital Services LLC
- Language: English
- ASIN: B002Q7WP4O
- Text-to-Speech: Enabled
- Word Wise: Enabled
- Lending: Enabled
Amazon Best Sellers Rank:
#807,423 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
- #163 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Religion & Spirituality > Spirituality > Women
- #318 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Religion & Spirituality > Christian Books & Bibles > Churches & Church Leadership > Church Institutions & Organizations
- #1299 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Religion & Spirituality > Spirituality > Devotionals
|Digital List Price:||$12.95|
Save $2.96 (23%)
A Right To Be Merry Kindle Edition
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Customers who bought this item also bought
Top Customer Reviews
Though this book is about life in an enclosed order of nuns, it's not just for Catholics. I'm not a Catholic myself, but I feel like I gained about as much from it as anyone could, and I don't feel any separation or strangeness between myself and the sisters. I strongly recommend this book to seekers of God from whatever path or religion, because don't we all share the same human nature and face the same struggles? And this author kindly shares one way of gracefully navigating the difficult waters. Since the Poor Clares have been following the same path for over 750 years now, without dying out or changing their ways, we know that it is one road, no matter how unusual, that does work, and we can all take something from it.
Finally, I appreciated the prefaces that Mother Mary Francis added to this 2001 edition of her book. Since the book was written in the 1950's, don't you want to know what has happened in the Roswell monastery since then? I did! So the additonal material from the years 1973 and 2000 was most welcome. I don't want to spoil the surprise for anyone, but I'm happy to report that the monastery is thriving. Lucky them: Mother Mary Francis is apparently still the Abbess, God bless her beautiful, wise heart.
Note: Feb. 2006 addition to this review from February 2005: I have just learned that Mother Mary Francis passed away this month. May she rest in eternal peace.
Mother Mary Francis writes wonderfully, with so much love for what she was given by God to do, and with so much experience on what she is talking about... She writes in a simple manner, with a witty touch that makes it impossible no to fall in love with this book and with her Poor Clare life, with her simplicity, her poverty... Her merry way to follow the Gospel in the footsteps of Saint Francis and Saint Clare! With joyful penance!
I love when she talks about poverty... To "marry lady poverty"
I can't recommend this book enough.
In her writings on Saints Francis and Clare, her pen paints pictures that make these wonderful saints come alive for us. Mother Mary Francis shares with us their teachings to their nuns, and what impact those teachings have on their lives. So many consider the cloisered religious life to be a dark, solitary, very solemn life, but that is far from the truth. A monastery is a place of love, and light, and laughter, and no one tells us that so well as Mother Mary Francis.
I highly recommend this book to any and all, but especially to those discerning religious life and to those with a devotion to St. Clare. This book may be old, but it is far from outdated.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Set up an Amazon Giveaway
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Christian Books & Bibles > Churches & Church Leadership > Church Institutions & Organizations
- Books > Religion & Spirituality > Worship & Devotion > Devotionals
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Religion & Spirituality > Christian Books & Bibles > Churches & Church Leadership > Church Institutions & Organizations
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Religion & Spirituality > Spirituality > Devotionals
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Religion & Spirituality > Spirituality > Women