Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Rijksmuseum Amsterdam: Highlights of the Collection (Amsterdam Museum Books) (Volume 1) Paperback – January 19, 2016
There is a newer edition of this item:
Customers who bought this item also bought
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
- I found myself glued to the pages ... learning a lot of history along the way.
- I love this type of guide that gives precisely the right type of information. Recommended!
- I have visited the Rijksmuseum on three separate occasions and I wish I had this book with me during those visits.
- If you like the arts, you will love this book!
- The author provides the essential highlights of the important pieces in a way that is easy to understand. Also I really enjoyed the little tidbits of cultural information and interesting facts that are often missing in most guides but are included in so many of the descriptions in this book.
- This informative book takes the reader on a visually stunning walk through history.
- Succinct. Well organized. Highly useful to plan a visit to the Rijksmuseum.
About the Author
Marko Kassenaar is a Dutch art expert. He works as educator at the Rijksmuseum and Royal Concertgebouw in Amsterdam.
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
Top customer reviews
Over the last 10 years I have visited the Rijksmuseum on three separate occasions and I wish I had this book with me during those visits.
The last times I visited the Rijksmuseum I used the audio program and booklet provided by the museum. Although I learned a lot from the standard museum materials I found them too academic and too dry. What I really liked about “The New Rijksmuseum” by Marko Kassenaar is that the author provides the essential highlights of the important pieces in a way that is easy to understand. Also I really enjoyed the little tidbits of cultural information and interesting facts that are often missing in most guides but are included in so many of the descriptions in this book.
The last time I was at the Rijksmuseum a few years ago they were renovating some of the major sections. Now I have this essential guide so I can learn about all the important highlights right from my Kindle app!
The summaries for major art pieces in this e-book are interesting. Of course, only the principal pieces are in this book and many more can be seen with an actual visit. The book reminds me of the world class quality of Amsterdam museums.
Amsterdam - it's a great city. The Rijksmuseum and nearby Leidesplein have good fun, bars and restaurants for all tastes. There's also a traditional Dutch cuisine restaurant next to Leidesplein which is very much worth a visit.
This is a good e-book but the travel DVDs about Amsterdam and The Netherlands are even better.
If I have any complaint, it would be that I wished the illustrations be larger. I understand though that this is constrained as result of it being an e-book. The book is well worth a look, and if I ever make it to Amsterdam, the New Rijksmuseum will be a major go to location.
The author gives you a great overview about all masterpieces of the Dutch Golden Age and you will find many highlights in this guide.
If you are interested in the dutch history or if you want to visit Amsterdam I definitely recommend you reading this book.
My son is going to be traveling to Europe this spring, and plans to visit Amsterdam to visit some friends. I'm going to recommend that he pick up this book, and visit this museum so he can see the fantastic works of art that are on display. This book will be a great guidebook for him!