Industrial Deals Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 54 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 93 reviews
on July 30, 2014
This is a fantastic unit, but know that it requires a 3/4 in. gas pipe. I'm sure that requirement was somewhere in the description, but I missed it. Lucky for me, there was a 2 in. gas pipe right above where this was going to go and we were able to just replace the 1/2 in. gas line that went to the old water heater with a 3/4 in. one for not too much money. If you are not a master plumber, I would recommend getting a very good plumber to install this for you. If they're good, it won't be cheap, but it will be worth it. We've had this just short of a year now and we've turned the temperature down twice. It really works exceedingly well and so far has been trouble free.
on May 9, 2017
So, here's the deal, if your going to tackle this project yourself.. Your going to need quite a few tools.

2 Adjustable wrenches, Teflon tape, measuring tape, a whole lot of patience. And some experience with plumbing. And more tools.
And if you have to install a new gas line.. yeah good luck with that, you may need a plumber/ a whole lot of digging! and it will cost you a pretty penny, so I hope you saved up?

For me my water heater went out. My second water heater to go out. When this second one went out, the inner liner around the relief valve went bad. And so this pin hole leak grew.. and grew, and since I thought things were just fine.. well my utility room ended up getting pissed on by my old water heater. So I had heard of tankless water heaters and of Rinnai in particular, and its Japanese quality, and decided this time around I was going to try something different.

One of the big things you may forget about is the venting with this install, both the amount you need and the tools for the job.. One, depending on where you live and your buying this unit, you might get screwed vent wise. If your here on Amazon thinking about buying one, it means your probably slightly educated about new plumbing tech, and you don't have any local dealers.
The closest Rinnai dealers/service guys were like 50 miles away for me. So I decided to install this badgirl myself. Or try to. Or fail trying! I think failing while your running is the best.. because that momentum you build up before you fall face forward into failure.. thrilling and impactful!

Two mistakes I made when ordering this were:

1.I didn't think of a GREAT way to cut the venting material. (I was like I have a hacksaw, should be no problem, WRONG! it was tedious at best) you really need good solid clean cuts with the venting material, because of the airtight seals the gaskets form in the material.. Like if you don't have good clean cuts, the joining of the material will go from really annoying.. to use your imagination. )

Here's a solution! Also you can use this to cut drain pipe later on when you need to. Also it looks like there's a long lead up time to getting the actual product for some unknown reason so if your planning ahead, may want to just go ahead and bite the bullet. Why else do you have that prime account?
or

2.I ordered the outdoor vent termination kit right? well that's all well and good if I had an extremely short distance to go.. But I had a foot beyond that, and also needed some 45degree elbows. And vent extensions. Spoiler! (I could not buy the vent extensions locally! no one had any... so I end up ordering those off amazon as well!- - -but after I had my new tankless water heater and had installed it and so I had to cap my cold water supply line and take a cold a$$ bath because I couldn't vent my unit) FUN TIMES!

Anyways, my knee jerk reaction on this install. It's actually pretty straight forward. Rip out your old tank, plumb new lines in, make sure you got the correct adapters to hook up. make sure you don't reverse your lines, label stuff, take your time.. hook it all up and it throws a fault! So the little computer in this unit worked good. Correct that issue. And good to go!

It's quiet for the most part. 120 degrees Fahrenheit in the summer time is hot enough. I may tinker with this later. Depends. I did not install a recirculating set up, I just did a straight forward install, and so I do experience that "Sandwich effect" on the water, but I had that with my hot tank water heater, so its nothing new.

Works fairly quickly.

Also, this unit in particular came with the Rinnai Union/Drain Valves... I ended ordering a set of Union/Drain Valves .. so now I have extra, accidentally. Just a heads up.

If anything worth anything happens down the line. I'll give an update. Or if your reading this review five years down the line and want to know how this unit has held up, just send me a request. If I still live in the same house I'll try and reply. But not to technical questions.

Good luck if your doing a self install and not a plumber. I'm very grateful my unit function great right out of the box pretty much.

P.S. I wish plumbing were easier and more straightforward. Like plug and play. I have a feeling there's a whole industry here for future new housing if someone can make it happen.
on March 11, 2015
This is a great product, especially for Floridians where a tank heater requires a shed to be built onto your house. Heats water fast and efficiently and you get a kick-back from the gas company for the energy saving aspect.
on March 30, 2014
Confident that it will be as advertised from other users feedback.
Amazon website suggests the isolator valve kit and venting termination kit, I purchased both at time of water heater purchase only to discover the heater comes with the isolator valves and pressure blowoff. I had to return the valve kit at a 20% restocking fee plus shipping. Other than that the transaction was good.
on September 7, 2016
Has worked well since I installed it. Definitely big enough to handle all my needs. 3 BR/2.5 BA house w/full kitchen. Has come through with excellent service, and no glitches. Well, except for when I lost power. Won't turn on unless power source is connected. Don't need to take a shower in the dark anyway.
on February 18, 2013
Initially, I was skeptical. The simplicity of an old-school tank water heater appeals to me. No electricity required. My wife suggested we replace our 26 year old tank type water heater with a tankless unit. First one arrived damaged. The sleek front panel of the unit was bashed in. Amazon promptly shipped a replacement and arranged to have UPS pick up the damaged unit. Now that the replacement Rinnai is installed, we have plenty of hot water. This thing will easily keep up with two sinks and a shower running simultaneously with winter supply water temperatures.
on December 11, 2016
I did a little research on this product and found it to be the one I needed. The price was good also. I replaced my water heater with it and found it did a great job for providing continuous Hot water. It came with the Hot & Cold special valves that made the connection easy. I installed it in the basement attached to the basement wall next to the House heating system. That way all the equipment can be located in a central place. All I had to do is attach all piping (electrical outlet, water, gas, & exhaust pipes) and turn it on. Then I had to adjust temp to higher setting so water will be hot at most distant bath location. I worked great. No other adjustments needed.
on February 28, 2017
love it
on January 16, 2015
I purchased this over a year ago but I just got around to installing it. I installed it in my basement. I put a 10" extension directly above it, a 45 degree elbow, and 11' of extensions to get it out beyond my deck. It seems to be running fine. I put a small slope on the extension to allow the condensation to run out instead of back into the unit. So I didn't put an condensation system on the side pipe. So far it's working great. It does take a little while to reach equilibrium but this isn't my first On-Demand hot water heater and this was expected. I keep it set at 120 F but I doubt that's what's coming out of the faucets. I'm not sure why that is but it's hot enough and the flow is pretty good so I'm not complaining. Now I'm just waiting for my first whole electric bill to see how much savings I'll get from getting rid of my electric hot water heater.
on April 10, 2017
I almost give it a five star because the unlimited water is so great, but the cold water could not be avoided... I have installed a recirculating pump (this model does not include it.) but it will still first have hot water and then runs cold before hot water is continuous... I hate to the tab just to wait for the cold water to pass...
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse