Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held GNO Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

Product Packaging: Standard Packaging|Change

Showing 1-10 of 325 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 417 reviews
on February 21, 2014
Being fans of The Settlers of Catan, Power Grid, and Ticket to Ride, we enjoy this game as well. However, this is a game with far more intricate strategy. It's also a game requiring more time, both to play and to set up.

Puerto Rico has a variety of ways in which to play. You can produce a lot of goods, build a lot of buildings, etc. Each way provides a different tactic to victory. It will take several tries before you find a tactic that works to your liking. And much of you choice of path will be dictated by your opponents' paths. Not every building, for example, is available in sufficient quantity for everyone to buy.

Puerto Rico also has far more pieces than other similar titles. Lots of setup is required, probably about twice what a game of Settlers requires, and far more than for a game of Ticket.

Puerto Rico, for good or bad depending on your preferences, is also a fairly long game to play. As part of the variety of strategies I mentioned above, each round and player's turn tends to involve some thought. As such, particularly if you play with people who like to take their time, this can extend a single game well past the hour mark. I think we typically run about an hour and a half. So if you like a more involved game, this is good, if you like a quick game (like I think Ticket is), then Puerto Rico (with its set up and play time) might be too long.
on May 25, 2017
We enjoy playing this game as a family with our teen and twenty-something children. It teaches the results of economic choices and is a good balance of strategy and chance.

Some might be offended that the "colonists" are brown and work on the plantations, but they also teach in the university and everything in between. The people have the opportunity to participate in every aspect of the economy.
on July 18, 2017
 To learn this game at first was a little bit tricky, but there are tons of videos out there on how to play and set up the game. Once you get the hang of the game it really is pretty easy. I have played with children as young as 6 years old and they haven't had to much of a problem playing. this is a really great family game and super fun to play. I would really recommend to anyone that loves strategy type board games.
on January 25, 2017
Great game that uses strategy as well as chance. If you like Settlers of Catan, you'll love this game as well. I think this is less chance than Catan, so the more I play it, the more I like it.
on September 28, 2015
This game is a very fun worker placement game. Pretty easy to learn, one play through and my wife and I had the basic idea of how to play and started formulating strategies. We have only played with the official 2 player rules (which aren't included in the box but are readily available online), but it is fun with just the two of us. If you have played 7 wonders, this game has some similar mechanics. We like this game more though.

Definitely recommend buying. I am also looking in to a box insert to help me organize the pieces, as their are a lot and it can take a while to set up if you don't have it organized correctly
on October 1, 2011
First of all, let me start by saying that this game is longer than your average game. When we play it we anticipate about 2 hours, sometimes a little quicker and sometimes a little slower depending on how distracted we get and how much discussion we get going. If you can accept that fact that the game will last longer than Uno, or Yahtzee, or Clue-then you can have one of the funnest game experiences of your life (yes, I know "funnest" is not a word). Many other people have posted some wonderful and in depth reveiws of what this game is like, so that is not my goal. I simply want to state that it is amazing! I love other games, like Settlers, Stone Age, Pirate's Cove, Dominion and Ticket to Ride. This game is my favorite and it is because there a still some luck (based upon what other people do for their turn), but your brain can get blown away with trying to figure out your best move, while not helping the people after you. My favorite experience with this game was with my wife's friend and her husband. We were on vacation and played games until 4AM. This was the final game and it took about 2 1/2 hours to teach and play through the first time. After that we were all super beat so we went to bed. The next morning the husband and wife practically jumped out of their room and said "I kept waking up thinking about what buildings to buy and how to make more money and ship more goods, we need to play again right now!". I am addicted to this game and my only complaint is that I dont get to play it often enough. This game honestly isn't for everyone though. We have some friends where the husband loves it, but the wife needs a little more "stimulation" for her gaming desires and she gets bored with it. My wife and I love it and teach to it everyone that we can because it is crazy addictive and almost always spawns some good talking afterwards and is a GREAT way to spend time with friends and family.
on September 10, 2014
This game is like no other that I have played before. I don't even know where to begin with this review.

Puerto Rico provides a unique game play of resource management. There are many ways to play this game, many ways to strategize and many ways to win. Each game plays differently which provides good game replay. Based on the number of players that you play with, the strategy changes as well, which is something to keep in mind.

If you haven't played Puerto Rico, this is how the game plays out. You are in charge of creating your very own Puerto Rico. The game consists of a personal player board, a community board, a trading house, cargo ships and a colonist ship (along with resources, colonists, plantations, buildings, doubloons and victory point chips). In each round one player acts as the governor (which signifies the start of a round). Each player goes around either bringing colonists into Puerto Rico, planting goods, buying buildings, selling good, shipping goods or harvesting. Once one action is chosen, the next player to choose has to choose something new. So based on how your own Puerto Rico is looking, you can be strategic in your selection in order to help yourself out while hindering your opponents from progressing.

In order to buy buildings you need doubloons. But don't get too caught up in obtaining a lot of doubloons, they do not count towards your final score. Instead your focus is on victory point chips. You get VP's by putting goods on the ships, buying buildings (they have certain VP points) and getting big buildings to give you VP bonuses. The game can in 3 different ways. 1) you run out of victory point chips 2) one player has all 12 building squares filled or 3) there are no more colonists.

The game play can go slow for first time players, but once you have played it a few times, game play can pick up. This version of the game says it is for 3-5 players. Alea, the game producer, put out the 2 player rules. I have yet to play 2 player but am looking forward to playing it soon. This game is a good game to provide many hours of fun strategy play. A definite game to include in your game library.
on January 22, 2016
One of the best strategy games out there. There is *no* random chance, no luck of the draw; just you making the best possible choices vs your opponents. Do I Captain now, so that she can't go Trader? Do I wait to go Builder, or hurry up before she puts a colonist on her Quarry? This game is FUN, and a favorite on our game nights.

The only drawbacks are that it's not playable with just 2 players, and the learning curve for teaching a non-gamer is a bit steeper than some.
on January 25, 2014
Actually played the PC version before owning Puerto Rico the board game. After a play or two then the path
to victory becomes more clear. Fun to have a three step process(grow,manufacture,ship) to generate victory points
and to have money be pivotal but not the same as vp. As the title says I was disappointed in the building tiles being
plain white. I know they need the description on them, but after seeing the PC game version I was really wanting those
pieces to be pretty even if they had to be bigger to accommodate. A great game design though deserving of many games
(San Juan, card game version of this, and Race for the Galaxy, the Space themed card game version of this). I do wish they
would do a reprint (because this is a timeless classic now) with FULL board that includes all the roles, buildings, ships, wharf, trade house, etc instead of cards around medium box boards. Still like the player boards and only wish they were thicker cardboard. This game is such a classic game with truly interesting replays every time I would love to be able to buy it, even at a higher price point, with the quality of components it deserves. (I would also love to have a high quality board game version of Race for the Galaxy in the same way).
on April 29, 2013
Puerto Rico is probably the best board game that I own, and is definitely my favorite one to play.

Puerto Rico offers tons of different paths to victory, and each and every game prompts me to try a new strategy or way to win. The game doesn't involve a lot of luck or sudden changes in the flow of the game, so players really need to plan out what they're hoping to accomplish and how they'll get there.

Many other reviewers have already sung this game's praises, so I'll just throw in a few other points:
- Because victory point chips are hidden and points can be gained in many different ways, it's never quite clear who's in the lead. This might be frustrating to some gamers who want totally open information, but I feel that this adds a lot of tension to the game and keeps everyone involved. If you can see that someone is doing much better than you (or that you are doing much better than someone else), a game can feel like it's really dragging out. Having point totals be mostly concealed (but not completely!) makes everyone want to keep their head in the game.
- Even though each player has their own board that they're minding, Puerto Rico involves a lot of player interaction and so-called "screwage." There are ample opportunities to mess with another player's strategy, and you always have to be watching to make sure that your actions aren't helping out your rivals. You don't need to constantly be worrying about how other players might mess up your strategy, but you can never count on being able to do everything that you want to in a turn.
- Puerto Rico keeps each turn's actions fairly limited, which means that every action counts. Even though the game can take a good chunk of time to play, it moves quickly and never leaves players feeling like they're just "going through the motions."

The game mostly has great components, with high-quality cardboard player boards and pieces, and wonderful wooden bits as well. I only have a few complaints about Puerto Rico, mostly about some of the components. The first is that the wooden colonist pieces are really small and fiddly. Because they're round and smaller than most of my fingernails, they can be difficult to pick up or move around. Because you'll be moving these around quite a bit during the game, their tiny size can be a bit frustrating.

My only other complaint is that the insert for Puerto Rico (the plastic inside the box to organize and store the pieces) seems like it was made for another game or something like that. It's not at all clear where or how to store the pieces, and there are a LOT of little bits in this game. While the insert works to hold the pieces, it doesn't really allow you to organize them for quick set-up or storage.

But those are both minor complaints. Puerto Rico is a great game for anyone who loves strategic, interesting, engaging board games and is willing to invest a bit of time into getting the flow of the game. The first few turns of your first game can be daunting, but once players get the hang of it, Puerto Rico is a fast-moving, fantastic game that I would highly recommend. Great price, great pieces (mostly!), great game. Get it right now!

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.