BCA Month Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Electronics Gift Guide $69.99 Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment outlanders3premiere outlanders3premierealtText Watch Outlander on Starz with Amazon Channels outlanders3premierealtText Watch Outlander on Starz with Amazon Channels  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 All-New Kindle Oasis South Park Shop Now HTL17_gno

Puerto Rico Game
Product Packaging: Standard Packaging|Change

Showing 1-6 of 6 reviews(2 star). See all 419 reviews
on June 27, 2016
This is a great game. Probably my favourite. However, there were only enough pieces for a four player game! I asked Amazon to send missing pieces and they sent me an entirely new set. (Good on them! :-) )

But that new set ALSO only had enough pieces for four players.

The bottom line is that this game is the most fun with 2-4 players. 5 player games aren't quite as fun, but the fact that I can't play a 5 player game if I wanted to is a bit frustrating.
on August 28, 2016
I bought this game due to the high reviews but I was disappointed. I can tell it is a decent game that has a lot of set in stone stragety and once you learn that stragety your just doing the same thing every game. If you don't follow the obvious you'll lose. I would not recommend this game for any reason other than to play a game that was the best for many years many years ago. Also the componets are rather plain and boring to look at.
on June 24, 2016
Ok, 2 stars in that it has the potential to be a brilliant game, with room for improvement. A lot. It takes forever to get ones buildings and island set up, then before you can come up for air, and reap the rewards, the game is over. That said, there's nothing to really enjoy in the process of this game, you scramble to get money the entire time, and then can't see much of the higher priced buildings work for you, can't get to just crafting and shipping, can't possibly get all 5 crops and a factory producing b4 the end. If your lucky enough to get both markets, the you dont need to fuss with the factory. Remember, somehow you have to cobble together 10 pesos or whatever for a large building, else risk losing on that. Also, have to ship goods once in a while for victory points, can't leave that to the last minute.
Lastly, there is very little chance of recovery if one doesn't make the right choices early on, like don't sell the same cash crop as the player b4 you! The slowness of the game is the colonizing bit. Unless you spend a buying turn on a hospice or university, especially at the end, wished you bought that university didn't you? In all, I would pass this game up. Players that go first and second do have the advantage too.
on January 23, 2010
First, I will preface by saying the game is extremely complicated to get started with, you really need some outside help to figure it out. The instructions are good, but there are about 12 pages of rules, so a quick play the game is not.

That said, once you figure it out, it is not difficult to play, but it is not particularly fun, either. There only a few options on what you can do each turn without basically giving massive points away to the person next to you. For example, pretty much no one wants to pick up the card to ship goods, because you give the person to your right first dibs on everything, so you give them a truckload of points. This results in people sitting around and picking the same cards over and over to avoid losing the game.

All in all, a well made, quality game, but just a bit on the boring side.
66 comments| 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 18, 2012
After playing this game many times, I now realize that some buildings in this game are not balanced. The Hacienda is an example of a building that is too strong, and the observatory (I believe) as a building that is too weak for how expensive it is. The expansion is a good way to introduce some other pieces, and you can use them to balance out the strong pieces. They are available at the manufacturer's website.
I also have to say that the learning curve for this game is gargantuan, so don't bother trying to teach other people how to play unless they are very invested and would not mind losing the first time.
Apart from that, it is a relatively good game. Lots of pieces, lots of different strategies available to choose among. Enjoy.
on September 25, 2008
We purchased this game because we love Settlers of Catan and Carcassonne, thinking this will be another great board game to enjoy. Unfortunately, we were unable to understand the instructions enough to ever play it, even though we are intelligent, well educated people. We have never had a problem learning a game before this. I ended up selling it on ebay at a loss. It would have helped us if we had a friend who has played it before, and who could explain it to us. I am sure it is a great game once you know how to play, but that is where the problem lies.
99 comments| 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.