Amazon Vehicles Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Home Gift Guide Father's Day Gifts Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning masterpiece masterpiece masterpiece  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com Ellen

Showing 1-10 of 1,225 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,434 reviews
on January 7, 2009
Dominion is a deceptively simple game which encompasses endless variation. The basic game contains the following major components:

1. 25 groups of action cards, victory cards, and money cards, in total over 250 cards.
2. Card storage and organizer box designed specifically for organizing the game components.
3. The Rules.

Game Play:
A game starts with each player holding an identical 10 card deck. As the game begins a group of 10 special action cards are selected from the 25 categories in the box. The rules outline specific selections for scenario play or you can design your own lay out. There is no banker or moderator; all players start entirely equal with access to the exact same cards.
During each player's turn they may take actions and purchase new cards from the communal decks. Each player has to balance the need to buy new cards and money with the purchase of victory points (which remain in the player's deck but don't help them until points are totaled.) The decision of when to stop building one's deck and start buying victory points is one of the most critical choices the player will make. Too early, and you'll find yourself bogged down with a deck full of moderate victory cards while other players' resources have increased to the point where they blow by you. If you wait too long, all of the good cards will have been bought out and you won't have anything to spend your resources on.

I have to be honest, when I first heard about Dominion I didn't understand why my wife and several of our friends were so worked up over the thing. It sounded terribly dry, particularly to a person like myself who has played collectable card games like magic the gathering for many years. Nothing could have been farther from the truth.
Dominion has something for everyone, from the collectable card game nut, to the poker player, to the family looking for an alternative to trivial pursuit. Since everyone starts out with access to the same selection of cards and the same resources for advancement, everyone has an equal chance of victory. Because there are 10 different categories of action cards with each category having at least 10 cards in its pile, there is plenty of room for strategy as the game progresses and certain resources are bought up to the point of extinction.
The game is set up in such a way so that you can play cut throat games with lots of player-vs.-player actions or less interactive games where the victory is determined by who fields the most effective resource acquisition strategy. Those familiar with CCG drafting will feel right at home in this environment, while those with no card based gaming experience won't be at a disadvantage.

My only criticism of dominion (as has been said on several other forums) is that while the game is entirely self contained, I can easily see the cards (which are essential in exactly the numbers provided) wearing out or being lost. Because there are so many of them I recommend using card sleeves (available at most hobby stores from companies like rook and ultra pro.)

I started out one night thoroughly expecting to dislike this game and found myself 3 hours later wondering where the evening had gone. Dominion is completely addictive and doesn't loose its fun factor after the player has played multiple scenarios in one sitting.

Simply put, this is the best interactive casual game I've played in 32 years.

Note:
It's four years later and I still endorse this game without reservation. The basic set is still just as fun as when I played for the first time, while the addition of other optional sets have magnified the enjoyment.
1515 comments| 835 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 18, 2016
If you are into any sort of card or board games at all (and even if you are not), this is a game to add to the collection! This game is simply addicting! I first found out about this game by going to a friend's house and just had to have a set of my own. With all of the expansions this game has, there is no end to the replay value of this game. This game is the BASIC set and only comes with the basic 25 kingdom cards and the other required cards (treasure cards and victory cards). This set alone is a great way to get introduced to the game and there are no difficult mechanics to learn with this set. This game is a deck building game. This means that each player (2-4 for just this set) starts with the same 10 cards and buys cards to build their deck. Each player then uses their deck to purchase victory cards that give them victory points. The player with the most victory points at the end of the game wins. This game has a small learning curve, but once players understand how to play, the confusion will only come from some cards in expansions. Dominion makes it easy to understand the cards as you just follow their instructions from top to bottom when the card is played. If there is any confusion on a card, the instruction manuals explain very well how each card functions. This base set is a great starting point for those wanting to get into the game and the possibilities are endless when expansions are purchased. I would recommend this to anyone willing to learn a game and warn those of you that do: you will purchase all of the expansions before long. If you found this review helpful, please let Amazon know by clicking the "yes" button below.
on October 5, 2016
We have played close to 100 games with this set. My one criticism is that it seems to favor certain cards and several cards are never used, leading to this being a gateway set to the expansion sets. Well, lo and behold, they are making a new edition that removes the duds and replaced them with better cards. GET THE SECOND EDITION but don't miss out on the game, Dominion is a lot of fun.
on October 29, 2016
I really enjoy playing this with my wife. Deck building is a fun mechanic and this game has lots of interesting cards. Lots of different combinations. Only a few cards do bad things to your opponent. The rest build you up. My wife doesn't like when I play attack cards, so we prefer to play with economic cards and race to victory instead of fighting with each other. This game allows for a lot of that. If I could change one think I would make it just a little shorter and a little less setup. It's not super long or complicated, though.

Comes with lots of cards and it's all pretty high quality stuff.

Note that this is the original. These guys just came out with a replacement that removes 6 cards and adds 7. If it's a similar price or close it would make sense to get the newer version.
on February 20, 2015
Dominion is a truly awesome deck-building card game, it's rather easy to learn and almost everyone I've played it with has quite enjoyed it. While there are quite a number of cards and rules (and even more cards in the expansions) the game is rather streamlined and it only takes 1 or 2 games for just about anyone to understand and have fun with Dominion. While it’s not a hard game per se, there’s almost no luck about it and it might be one of the most fair games I’ve had the pleasure of playing. Being that there’s no dice, it’s up to the individual to purchase and play cards to their advantage, and through this most people will enjoy developing their own strategy. Highly recommended for just about anyone! It's 2-4 players and I recommend the first expansion ("Intrigue") to make it 2-6 players.
on December 7, 2014
I've watched nerds pour nearly as much time and energy into this game as they might invest in a tabletop RPG campaign. So I'm impressed by Dominion. It is slim, but mighty. Why?

Though you can play with a crowd, this is also one of the relatively few good games out there that can be played with only two people. Unlike many other games you can play with two, Dominion doesn't get stale quickly. This game comes with built-in modularity, thanks to your ability to randomize or choose what cards you play with. As if this weren't enough, there are loads of fun expansions to build up those possibilities even further. The card concepts and artwork further enhance the interesting dynamics.

All of this fun comes pretty easily; it's very simple to learn how to play this game. Each turn has three simple steps, and every card tells you exactly what you need to know to play it, so folks who are normally daunted by complex games can play a pretty sophisticated hand without much of the usual frustration. Meanwhile serious game nerds can fuss with the finer points of strategy.

It's nice, too, that this is interactive, in-game deck-building, and not a collect-em-all, money-sucking gamble like (in my humble opinion) MTG. MTG is great, but this style of deck-building is more democratic, and for my money, more fun.
on August 12, 2013
It involves a LOT of card-shuffling. Sometimes gameplay will come to a completely standstill as everyone around the table is busy shuffling their decks.

Also, in many cases, the best strategy in many playings of the game with the basic deck is to simply go with a money-only strategy. You need expansion packs before it starts to really pay off to get into the action card strategies.

But overall, I like this game a lot. It has been extremely addictive at times. Furthermore we have been able to convince basically ALL of our non-gaming friends to enjoy playing it even though they may hate all our other strategy games.

I never played Magic, but based on what I know of Magic, I can say this one is somewhat similar BUT you do not come to the game with your own deck. Instead, you build your own deck (your "Dominion") throughout the game. Everyone else is trying to do the same, given the same resources that you are given. So everyone starts as equals and it's only through superior strategy that you can win, not just by coming to the game with a better deck like many other similar card games.
on April 11, 2017
Very fun game. Many different ways to play and it changes depending on who you're playing with and their tactics. I can beat my smarty pants boyfriend because of the way I play. So I really like to play this game. My whole family likes it too and they're all at different levels. The couple of friends that I've introduced to Dominion enjoyed it. It's a good gift if you know a couple who's into games. The play doesn't always take too long which is nice and you can play it with just two people. Settlers of Catan requires at least three so this is a good choice for couples.
on April 14, 2014
I will divert from the mechanics of the game and deliver on the game and how it relates to me.

There are many other great reviews that explain how to play the game in great detail and I suggest that you continue reading those other reviews for that reason. However, this review is to explain how this game relates to my family and my friends.

I have 3 daughters between the ages of 6 and 10, they are advanced academically, however, they all love this game. I know the game reads like it'd be too advanced for my youngest 6 and 8 year olds. However, my 8 year old won the first 3 games we've played, beating everyone else, no handicap or reduced play on my part!

My 6 year old feels this is her favorite game of all time, on the honest side, she only lasts about 3/4 of the game and then begins to lose focus on the game. If we could reduce the amount of options (reduce game play time) it may increase her ability to stay in the game. Typically she starts off strong and then towards the end we're having to coach her and/or make decisions for her. This is not a fault of the game, or the length of the game, but rather due to the fact that my daughter is only 6 years old and she is of the mindset that she must live life to the fullest. The game typically takes 1.5-2 hours with my young children due to the fact that we try to teach them the strategy and rationale for making their decisions, but when playing with my buddies typically takes about 45 minutes at the most. Eventually, I truly believe my 6 year old will be able to play a game from start to finish w/out any assistance.

This game is an amazing game, it's baffling that a bunch of cards could lend to so much replay-ability and so much fun. It gives us an excuse to all gather around the same patch of floor or table and work together towards a common goal - building the best kingdom!

The possibilities are endless with this game. We've played multiple games and each time you're still left with other options to build around. This is one of the only games that I can sit and play with my 6 year old and have as much fun as I do playing with my 30-50 something old friends. I promise this lends credence to the game, it is not indicative to the banality of my friends.

My core group of friends tend to gravitate toward video gaming. We meet at least once a month for a game day in which we typically do nothing but drink and play video games. I have tried for the last 8 years to get them to play more than video games, with board games, 'scene-it' type games, card games, and everything in between...but nothing has ever worked as well as video games. This game was the first time that i've ever been able to get them to come back to a game, ever.

Dominion is great family fun and great 'Man Fun' too! Definitely worth the buy.
VINE VOICEon May 18, 2015
This game is a blast. My husband and I play it a lot together. We brought it on vacation and played a half dozen games with friends and family. Every single person got hooked somewhere in the middle of the first game.

While it might be a little bit of a drag to wait while others play their hand, it is still fun to watch people you know and see how they think. My friend's 8 year-old watched rather than played. I think it would be a doable game for a kid around 10 if they weren't too squirmy or lacking in attention. It does take a bit of an attention span to learn, so younger kids might just take longer to teach, but I really believe kids would enjoy the game if you put in the time.

I can't wait to get some of the extensions.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.