Your Garage World Book Day STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Amazon's Choice Computers Limited time offer Luxury Beauty Handmade Mother's Day Gifts spring Shop Popular Services Bosch Bosch Bosch  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis National Bike Month on Amazon disgotg_gno_17

Showing 1-10 of 1,225 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,433 reviews
on January 7, 2009
Dominion is a deceptively simple game which encompasses endless variation. The basic game contains the following major components:

1. 25 groups of action cards, victory cards, and money cards, in total over 250 cards.
2. Card storage and organizer box designed specifically for organizing the game components.
3. The Rules.

Game Play:
A game starts with each player holding an identical 10 card deck. As the game begins a group of 10 special action cards are selected from the 25 categories in the box. The rules outline specific selections for scenario play or you can design your own lay out. There is no banker or moderator; all players start entirely equal with access to the exact same cards.
During each player's turn they may take actions and purchase new cards from the communal decks. Each player has to balance the need to buy new cards and money with the purchase of victory points (which remain in the player's deck but don't help them until points are totaled.) The decision of when to stop building one's deck and start buying victory points is one of the most critical choices the player will make. Too early, and you'll find yourself bogged down with a deck full of moderate victory cards while other players' resources have increased to the point where they blow by you. If you wait too long, all of the good cards will have been bought out and you won't have anything to spend your resources on.

I have to be honest, when I first heard about Dominion I didn't understand why my wife and several of our friends were so worked up over the thing. It sounded terribly dry, particularly to a person like myself who has played collectable card games like magic the gathering for many years. Nothing could have been farther from the truth.
Dominion has something for everyone, from the collectable card game nut, to the poker player, to the family looking for an alternative to trivial pursuit. Since everyone starts out with access to the same selection of cards and the same resources for advancement, everyone has an equal chance of victory. Because there are 10 different categories of action cards with each category having at least 10 cards in its pile, there is plenty of room for strategy as the game progresses and certain resources are bought up to the point of extinction.
The game is set up in such a way so that you can play cut throat games with lots of player-vs.-player actions or less interactive games where the victory is determined by who fields the most effective resource acquisition strategy. Those familiar with CCG drafting will feel right at home in this environment, while those with no card based gaming experience won't be at a disadvantage.

My only criticism of dominion (as has been said on several other forums) is that while the game is entirely self contained, I can easily see the cards (which are essential in exactly the numbers provided) wearing out or being lost. Because there are so many of them I recommend using card sleeves (available at most hobby stores from companies like rook and ultra pro.)

I started out one night thoroughly expecting to dislike this game and found myself 3 hours later wondering where the evening had gone. Dominion is completely addictive and doesn't loose its fun factor after the player has played multiple scenarios in one sitting.

Simply put, this is the best interactive casual game I've played in 32 years.

Note:
It's four years later and I still endorse this game without reservation. The basic set is still just as fun as when I played for the first time, while the addition of other optional sets have magnified the enjoyment.
1515 comments| 834 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 29, 2016
I really enjoy playing this with my wife. Deck building is a fun mechanic and this game has lots of interesting cards. Lots of different combinations. Only a few cards do bad things to your opponent. The rest build you up. My wife doesn't like when I play attack cards, so we prefer to play with economic cards and race to victory instead of fighting with each other. This game allows for a lot of that. If I could change one think I would make it just a little shorter and a little less setup. It's not super long or complicated, though.

Comes with lots of cards and it's all pretty high quality stuff.

Note that this is the original. These guys just came out with a replacement that removes 6 cards and adds 7. If it's a similar price or close it would make sense to get the newer version.
on February 20, 2015
Dominion is a truly awesome deck-building card game, it's rather easy to learn and almost everyone I've played it with has quite enjoyed it. While there are quite a number of cards and rules (and even more cards in the expansions) the game is rather streamlined and it only takes 1 or 2 games for just about anyone to understand and have fun with Dominion. While it’s not a hard game per se, there’s almost no luck about it and it might be one of the most fair games I’ve had the pleasure of playing. Being that there’s no dice, it’s up to the individual to purchase and play cards to their advantage, and through this most people will enjoy developing their own strategy. Highly recommended for just about anyone! It's 2-4 players and I recommend the first expansion ("Intrigue") to make it 2-6 players.
VINE VOICEon May 18, 2015
This game is a blast. My husband and I play it a lot together. We brought it on vacation and played a half dozen games with friends and family. Every single person got hooked somewhere in the middle of the first game.

While it might be a little bit of a drag to wait while others play their hand, it is still fun to watch people you know and see how they think. My friend's 8 year-old watched rather than played. I think it would be a doable game for a kid around 10 if they weren't too squirmy or lacking in attention. It does take a bit of an attention span to learn, so younger kids might just take longer to teach, but I really believe kids would enjoy the game if you put in the time.

I can't wait to get some of the extensions.
on April 11, 2017
Very fun game. Many different ways to play and it changes depending on who you're playing with and their tactics. I can beat my smarty pants boyfriend because of the way I play. So I really like to play this game. My whole family likes it too and they're all at different levels. The couple of friends that I've introduced to Dominion enjoyed it. It's a good gift if you know a couple who's into games. The play doesn't always take too long which is nice and you can play it with just two people. Settlers of Catan requires at least three so this is a good choice for couples.
on August 20, 2011
This card game, a deck-building game really, is very fun. Even my wife got in on the fun, although she was a little leery at first since it looked like a Magic cards type of game to her. She quickly realized though that it was very simple overall and you can tailor your deck along the way to just the way you each like to play. Also, we enjoy how even when you think you are losing/winning the game seems to end up really close every time between the two of us. Yes, this is a fun 2-player game, especially when you play with a random set of cards every time. The cards will probably wear out over time so we are thinking about buying card protectors. Also, reading through the rules takes a while the first time and it seems SO complicated!! But then as soon as you go through 2 rounds or so it all clicks and you realize how simple the game-play really is. Finally, be prepared for games to go longer than the game suggests they will. Our games typically last an hour or so. I'm sure for some people the games are 30 minutes or less, but not for us. Overall, I would definitely recommend this game, even to casual gamers.
on December 28, 2016
This game is awesome. I'm glad I own it now. It's a deck-building classic, and unlike the other starter box (intrigue) it's a little more beginner friendly as there's less cards designed to interfere with other players, so people can get the hang of their decks. The game's really versatile, and you randomly select the cards to use in a given game before it starts, giving it plenty of variation. There are lots of expansions as well, so this is a great piece to put in your games collection.
on February 6, 2010
Playing Dominion is just a fun thing we do on sundays. I love to play card/board games and in dominion there's so much variety of games in one game that it's never old. You have 25sets of action cards of which only 10sets of action cards will be in play. Generally we shuffle the deck of 25 and pick 10 cards randomly. That's why we get a different game every time. The learning curve is not very steep for this game and they playing time is short that's another advantage. The only complain I have about this game is that there's a lot of shuffling involved in this game and the cards will soon be worn out. But I would be happy to buy another of this game after that. Another thing is the game has low interaction among players. So you basically cannot attack other players very often. I highly recommend every boardgame lover to give this one a try
on October 25, 2013
A co-worker told me about the game. I went online and watched YouTube videos and still didn't understand how the game worked. I decided to buy it. I played it with my sister and GF and wow the time just flew by. It's a game that takes a little bit of playing through to understand it. It's a very fun game but it takes a while for each play through. If you're a fan of board games then definitely check it out. It's competitive but not overwhelming.
TOP 100 REVIEWERon November 26, 2015
This is a wonderful game. We play it as a family, began when our youngest was 10, and eventually bought most of the other sets. Its given us so many wonderful family memories. This is the basic set -- you really need this one before getting any of the others.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.