Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Tailgating ToyHW17_gno

Format: Toy|Change

Showing 1-10 of 67 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 86 reviews
on October 30, 2013
Most people agree that this is the weakest of the Dominion expansions but that doesn't mean that it isn't great. It is not as easily mingled with the rest of the game as every other set is but I consider it a must for fans of the game. We always make sure that there are two to four cards that require potions when we decide to include Alchemy. It has some fantastic unique cards like Golem which makes you reveal cards from the top of your deck until two actions are revealed and you play them both. Also Possession lets you take the next person's turn and gained cards go into your discard pile. Some of the cards in the set do not require potions to buy and they mix perfectly well into any game.

A good Alchemy game IMHO is three to six cards from the set (2-4 of which having potion costs) and the rest from one or two other sets. Cornucopia and Dark Ages mix very well with Alchemy. When we play six player games, we will often use the entire Alchemy set which is a gas.

I personally love playing with Black Market promo card in Alchemy games (protip: We use the purple backed generator cards instead of making a BM deck. We found the lack of anonymity means little.)
on May 21, 2017
Best board game I have ever played. This is an expansion to the original but I highly recommend all of them if you want a board game that is diverse and where every game is different with lots strategy with a small rule book.
on October 24, 2016
The quality of the product was exactly as expected and in line with everything else this company makes.

The quality of this expansion was sub-par. It adds a new treasure card (potion) that you have to use in order to buy almost every card in this expansion, which makes it very bad for the hard-core dominion player. You have to bog-down your deck with these extra potion cards just so you can buy things.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 1, 2017
This is a gift that my gaming friends are really enjoying
on June 8, 2011
I own all of the Dominion expansions: Intrigue, Alchemy, Seaside, and Prosperity. (And I have pre-ordered the Cornucopia expansion). I am a big fan of the Dominion game. Alchemy introduces a new treasure (potion) that is required to purchase the majority of the new Alchemy cards. Because of the extra burden of having this new treasure type, some of the Alchemy cards are quite powerful. Possession, for example costs 6 coin and 1 potion, but it lets you play the next player's turn for them and gain all of the cards that they would gain. However, cards that require a potion do not work as well with other action cards that deal with coin costs alone, like Workshop. The instruction manual recommends that you include 3-5 alchemy cards in a set and the other expansion sets come with more cards and can be played with their new cards alone, aside from the regular treasure, victory, and curse cards.

I am glad to have this expansion, but I like to play with a fully random mix and sometimes having just one alchemy card does not justify the need to buy potions.
on December 31, 2014
This is a great game for family and friends. My friend from Arizona introduced me to the game and after two games I had picked up on the basics and different strategies you can use. The expansions make this game very fun and add more depth so as not to become redundant. I introduced this game to my family over the holidays and we became hooked on it pretty quickly. I grew up with old style RPGs and have been an avid fan of the Setters of Cataan game and expansions as well. Great game for family and friends.
on February 25, 2016
This is a fun expansion but not quite as game changing as I thought it would be. I'd still recommend it, but we got the regular base game first (not Intrigue) and then Prosperity, and this was a nice third though I sort of wish I picked up Dark Ages instead. Maybe I just need to get more used to the cards--or get a thicker skin because I hate being possessed!
on February 3, 2017
If you are a fan of the original Dominion game, you will love this expansion. We were introduced to the set by some friends and it quickly became a household favorite. The Alchemy expansion adds to the gameplay and gives a new experience each time you break out the cards.
on April 21, 2014
I own all of the expansions available, and I must say that Alchemy is my least favourite. The new game mechanics do not mesh well with any other expansion, as you need at least 3 potion cost cards in the deck to make the purchase worth it. It does have some great cards, and is 100% worth it if you're looking to complete your set, but if you've just got the base game and are looking for a first or second expansion, hold off on Alchemy.

Quality etc. is on par with the rest of the game, exactly what you might expect.
on May 7, 2017
We loved this expansion pack, especially the Possession card, we were able to possess three people in a row and then play it with the throne room. Oh boy. Fun fun fun

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.