Industrial Deals HPC Amazon First Reads Casual Friday Style nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Only: $44.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon marchmadness marchmadness marchmadness  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment. Kindle Oasis GNO Shop now TG18PP_gno

• Rio
  • Customer Reviews

on January 30, 2014
Rio is a beautifully rendered film that is made more spectacular with its 3-D effects. While clearly designed to delight children, it also provides plenty of pleasure for adults through its character development and clever turns of phrase. The boy-meet-girl story is told on two levels: the two rare birds -- one from the city and one from spectacular Rio -- and the two adults -- a shy, but knowing, woman who owns the city bird and a smart, but nerdy botanist who has re-located from the States to Rio in order to study the colorful birds found in the rainforest. The samba rhythms keep the music from becoming cloying and, in fact, add some fine touches.

One of the movie's best features is the menagerie (literally) of second fiddles and bit players who waddle or fly --sometimes awkwardly and other times with soaring grace. It's a cartoon, so most of the good guys are genuinely good, while the bad guys might as well be wearing black hats because their evilness is so totally transparent (even when they're pretending to be good guys). But it does bring up a good point about the illegal poaching of rare birds from the rain forests and the willingness of wealthy clients to buy them despite threats of species extinction. Rio shifts into darker color schemes when it enters the lair of the bad guys, so in case you missed the point of where bad vs. good is occurring, the film makes it perfectly clear. The villain bird is a conniving liar who always looks like he needs a bath and flies awkwardly. He's a total contrast with the good hearted birds who are both colorful and beautiful to watch

But the movie's strongest feature has to be the music, which beats with a Brazilian heart throughout the film, and provides the opportunity for some spectacular dancing numbers. My only proviso is that the film pays some obvious tribute to Disney pictures such as Lion King in its biggest number (again, Lion King comes to mind). But the numbers are well-done so you quickly forget that it's all been done before, and concentrate instead of the colorful birds and the heart-warming story. Another highly successful element of the film is its portrayal of the Carnivale parade with its gorgeous animated floats and gyrating dancers moving to the rhythm of Rio.

I saw the film in 3D, and the effects were both excellent and subtle enough to keep the film from falling into overdone 3-D cliches. It's worthwhile wearing the glasses to see this one. have a feeling that you wouldn't miss 3-D if you only purchase the 2-D Blu-Ray, but once you've seen it in 3-D there's simply no going back. On my projector/screen combo, Rio was bright and beautiful with memorable moments throughout. And since the samba beat was the glue that held it all together, a good sound system really pays off.

We never see anyone heading for the gym, but the heroine is in remarkably good physical condition for a gal from Minnesota who runs a barely successful pet store. But, honestly, who cares about such details. It's a fun movie and I can't wait to show it to my grandchildren.
on May 4, 2017
My family really enjoys Rio and Rio 2. It doesn't contain the inappropriate adult jokes that a lot of the other "kids" movies have. We find ourselves watching these movies every few months. The music and imagery is very entertaining and beautiful. It also gives kids a chance to "visit" another country and see what the rainforest is like, even if only in animation.
on December 22, 2017
Truly a family movie. I just felt a little sad watching the story. There were two main themes that depressed me. The extinction of a species because two animals will not revive a species from extinction. The other was that the bird did not fly. I am a lover of companion birds and as a previous owner, I learned that flight is extremely important to the health of a bird. Birds that do not fly a little every day tend to be fat and depressed. This leads to premature death or illness. Even with the flight feathers trimmed they can still fly in a manner. So if you are or have been a companion bird owner and lover I think you will find this movie a little sad. I feel that the writers did not intend to make a sad movie so I can't give it a five. Otherwise, the film was striking visually well written and directed and the voices were wonderful. Truly something for everyone in the enjoy.
on August 14, 2011
Minus 1 star for BluRay playback problems!

Thanks Sony. A wonderful movie that we enjoyed in the theaters and a somehow you have found a way to spoil the enjoyment at home (or at least take the luster off the shine).

The DVD playback is great if you don't need the HD version, but Sony's own BluRay format playing on a new and SW updated Sony PS3 Slim (the ideal combination right?) has playback problems! I've read other players have playback problems too, so check the Internet if you haven't checked your system first to see.

On the PS3 it hangs and stutters at random times on the video playback. Audio is always fine and uninterrupted. A query on Google shows me that many others are having the same problem. Luckily there seems to be some solutions. If you have this issue, you need to delete the Rio data (Under Video>BD Data Utility menu on PS3) *and* disable the internet for playback, very convenient (not!). I hope Sony will figure out why their own stuff is broken.

This doesn't seem limited to a certain batch of discs, the bluray .com forum seems to believe it's player specific, so some folks will enjoy the movie in HD without having to bother, most likely if you're not using a Sony player.

This review reflects the problems I've experienced on 8/14 as we watched it together as a family on BluRay. This is for the 3 pack (BluRay,DVD and Digital copy). Save your money and get this on DVD or wait for it streaming.
33 comments| 8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on July 4, 2012
When this movie was initially released in theaters I must have been asleep for 6 months as I don't recall previewing or hearing anything about it in print or TV ads. When my wife and I acquired a 3-d TV/DVD player the search was on for the latest videos. Honestly, I purchased this movie based entirely on customer reviews. Just about everything submitted by other consumers was very positive, so I made the purchase and all I can say is that the reviews were dead on. RIO is one of our top 5 for many reasons: Great 3-d effects, glorious colors, a story that kept us entertained to the end, a great soundtrack, on and on. This was definitely money well spent and showed me that if I'm on the fence about a future dvd purchase with no knowledge of the content, video quality, or quality of the 3-d effects, customer feedback can indeed be a useful tool.
on January 28, 2016
I just thought this was absolutely one of the cutest movies ever made! This movie is about a bird. A very rare blue macaw named Blue. This movie is about Blue and his journey to the country in which he originates. Except Blue is a PET, so being in the wild (especially because he can't fly) is a little tough! There were parts of this movie I definitely found myself laughing out loud. If you're looking for a good movie to pop in and have a night with the kids I'd say GRAB THE POPCORN! I'd watch this movie over again. The kids in my family seem to like this movie and everyone can have a great time!
on August 2, 2016
I specifically purchased this movie for my 3 year old to watch, thinking it would be perfect because it was rated G. Not so much. There is a scene where the bird is taken from its "owner" which was a little stressful for my son to watch. It's a cute movie but be aware of that stressful scene if you've got a skittish little one.
on August 19, 2017
Suspending disbelief is one thing, having a reasonable story line and plot is another. Kept waiting for it to step up, but it remained overly predictable and far more ridiculous than most. And this is coming from someone who was willing to watch a movie with talking birds.
on January 2, 2012
I'll review only 3D feature .its Simple plot movie directed towards kids but in my experience kids love out of screen effects and we adults created whole dilemma of in depth vs out of screen effects .This movie can be easily defined as in depth 3D with may be couple of pop out effects.After one hour mark clearly there is much improvement in 3D effects .Throughout movie subtitles also keep switching trend .First hour or so they are in depth but afterwards they start to pop out .Clearly director kept his spanish heritage intact in this movie by giving great detail to color,samba(Booty shaking) and songs.

On side note as I'm fan of pop out effects by ckenisell ;

To label 3D as a gimmick is just incorrect when it's used properly.

I still remember The Muppets in 3D at Disney and one of the characters (gonzo maybe?) points directly in your face. EVERYBODY in the theater thinks that the character is pointing at them. It's an amazing experience and I don't think anybody in the theater was thinking about anything other than the muppet pointing at them. You are drawn in more when those things happen. Not taken out of the scene.

Now, having said that, it has to be used sparingly. It's not cool to always have in-your-face shots. Your brain would tire of it. If you watch the behind the scenes of Tangled 3D BD (or maybe it was the Shrek 4 Dreamworks crew that said it), the directors talk about dialing up and down the depth of field in 3D so that your brain doesn't get used to seeing the in-your-face shots. They do this so that, when those shots do occur, your brain interprets those shots as something special. The directors can use 3D as another tool to draw your emotions into their film.
on April 18, 2016
Such a cute movie, not just for the family but for adults as well! I watched this movie when I knew that they were coming out with the second one so I could get the background. I found this movie to be lighthearted and perfect for a family night at home. If you want to know more, here is a synopsis found online:
RIO is an animated feature from the makers of the Ice Age films. Set in the magnificent city of Rio de Janeiro and the lush rain forest of Brazil, this comedy-adventure centers on Blu, a rare macaw who thinks he is the last of his kind.