Your Garage World Book Day STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Amazon's Choice Computers Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day Gifts STEM Book House Cleaning Bosch Bosch Bosch  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis National Bike Month on Amazon disgotg_gno_17

• Rio
  • Customer Reviews

Format: Amazon Video|Change
Price:$2.99

Showing 1-10 of 2,461 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 2,712 reviews
on January 30, 2014
Rio is a beautifully rendered film that is made more spectacular with its 3-D effects. While clearly designed to delight children, it also provides plenty of pleasure for adults through its character development and clever turns of phrase. The boy-meet-girl story is told on two levels: the two rare birds -- one from the city and one from spectacular Rio -- and the two adults -- a shy, but knowing, woman who owns the city bird and a smart, but nerdy botanist who has re-located from the States to Rio in order to study the colorful birds found in the rainforest. The samba rhythms keep the music from becoming cloying and, in fact, add some fine touches.

One of the movie's best features is the menagerie (literally) of second fiddles and bit players who waddle or fly --sometimes awkwardly and other times with soaring grace. It's a cartoon, so most of the good guys are genuinely good, while the bad guys might as well be wearing black hats because their evilness is so totally transparent (even when they're pretending to be good guys). But it does bring up a good point about the illegal poaching of rare birds from the rain forests and the willingness of wealthy clients to buy them despite threats of species extinction. Rio shifts into darker color schemes when it enters the lair of the bad guys, so in case you missed the point of where bad vs. good is occurring, the film makes it perfectly clear. The villain bird is a conniving liar who always looks like he needs a bath and flies awkwardly. He's a total contrast with the good hearted birds who are both colorful and beautiful to watch

But the movie's strongest feature has to be the music, which beats with a Brazilian heart throughout the film, and provides the opportunity for some spectacular dancing numbers. My only proviso is that the film pays some obvious tribute to Disney pictures such as Lion King in its biggest number (again, Lion King comes to mind). But the numbers are well-done so you quickly forget that it's all been done before, and concentrate instead of the colorful birds and the heart-warming story. Another highly successful element of the film is its portrayal of the Carnivale parade with its gorgeous animated floats and gyrating dancers moving to the rhythm of Rio.

I saw the film in 3D, and the effects were both excellent and subtle enough to keep the film from falling into overdone 3-D cliches. It's worthwhile wearing the glasses to see this one. have a feeling that you wouldn't miss 3-D if you only purchase the 2-D Blu-Ray, but once you've seen it in 3-D there's simply no going back. On my projector/screen combo, Rio was bright and beautiful with memorable moments throughout. And since the samba beat was the glue that held it all together, a good sound system really pays off.

We never see anyone heading for the gym, but the heroine is in remarkably good physical condition for a gal from Minnesota who runs a barely successful pet store. But, honestly, who cares about such details. It's a fun movie and I can't wait to show it to my grandchildren.
on January 28, 2016
I just thought this was absolutely one of the cutest movies ever made! This movie is about a bird. A very rare blue macaw named Blue. This movie is about Blue and his journey to the country in which he originates. Except Blue is a PET, so being in the wild (especially because he can't fly) is a little tough! There were parts of this movie I definitely found myself laughing out loud. If you're looking for a good movie to pop in and have a night with the kids I'd say GRAB THE POPCORN! I'd watch this movie over again. The kids in my family seem to like this movie and everyone can have a great time!
on November 5, 2011
My ratings are based mainly on the QUALITY OF THE 3D, not the video content.

GET THIS; There are about 145 out of screen effects that extend about 10% of the way, from the screen to the viewer and another 36 ranging from 15% to 25%.

The quality of the 3D, in screen and out is exceptional and the movie had my wife and I in stitches many times. This is defiantly a homerun by 20th Century Fox. For animated films, this ranks right at the top along with Open Season and Ice Age.

*** Put this one on your list to ***
*** add to your 3D collection ***

MY 3D RATING = EXCELLENT (poor, fair, good, very good, excellent)

Note: As far as the percentages go, everyone's eyes are different. What I see at 25% you may see at 15% or 35%. To fully realize how far something is out of the screen for you, pause on an effect and direct a partner with an extended finger to the tip of what you are seeing. You may be surprised.

Click on `See all my reviews' for the lowdown on other 3Ds
1111 comments| 126 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 4, 2015
The movie was wonderful but we had a very difficult time watching it. For some reason the streaming option didn't work for us. I think our internet must have been going in and out. The movie stopped running every 3-4 minutes and had to be restarted and advanced to the point where it had stopped. After about 1.5 hours we had only seen about 30 minutes of the movie so we gave up.
on March 28, 2017
This was a gift for the Shine Hospital for the kids, I know they will love this and a lot of joy will be had by a lot of children.
on April 15, 2017
My 2 year old loves this movie. I'm very excited that I like it, too. Most of her shows are pretty boring or annoying to me.
on May 29, 2014
I bought this movie for my almost two year old because he saw it on TV and liked it so much. This is a funny entertaining film for the whole family to enjoy. The music is great, the story line is well written and the cast did an awesome job portraying their characters.
on April 19, 2013
No matter when I am clicking through the movie channels, if RIO is on...I am a gonner. The colors, the music, the LOVE story, the 'message' in the move. ALL ARE 5 STAR!
ALSO...no matter what movie Jesse Isenberg is in...he will always be BLU
on September 11, 2016
My mother loves 3d kids movies and this was no exception. One of her favorites! Cute movie too, I enjoyed it as well.
on January 23, 2017
One of my sons favorites. We watch it once a day at least. I tend to follow along with it as well