Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now FFII_gno

• Rio
  • Customer reviews

Showing 1-10 of 2,484 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 2,736 reviews
on January 30, 2014
Rio is a beautifully rendered film that is made more spectacular with its 3-D effects. While clearly designed to delight children, it also provides plenty of pleasure for adults through its character development and clever turns of phrase. The boy-meet-girl story is told on two levels: the two rare birds -- one from the city and one from spectacular Rio -- and the two adults -- a shy, but knowing, woman who owns the city bird and a smart, but nerdy botanist who has re-located from the States to Rio in order to study the colorful birds found in the rainforest. The samba rhythms keep the music from becoming cloying and, in fact, add some fine touches.

One of the movie's best features is the menagerie (literally) of second fiddles and bit players who waddle or fly --sometimes awkwardly and other times with soaring grace. It's a cartoon, so most of the good guys are genuinely good, while the bad guys might as well be wearing black hats because their evilness is so totally transparent (even when they're pretending to be good guys). But it does bring up a good point about the illegal poaching of rare birds from the rain forests and the willingness of wealthy clients to buy them despite threats of species extinction. Rio shifts into darker color schemes when it enters the lair of the bad guys, so in case you missed the point of where bad vs. good is occurring, the film makes it perfectly clear. The villain bird is a conniving liar who always looks like he needs a bath and flies awkwardly. He's a total contrast with the good hearted birds who are both colorful and beautiful to watch

But the movie's strongest feature has to be the music, which beats with a Brazilian heart throughout the film, and provides the opportunity for some spectacular dancing numbers. My only proviso is that the film pays some obvious tribute to Disney pictures such as Lion King in its biggest number (again, Lion King comes to mind). But the numbers are well-done so you quickly forget that it's all been done before, and concentrate instead of the colorful birds and the heart-warming story. Another highly successful element of the film is its portrayal of the Carnivale parade with its gorgeous animated floats and gyrating dancers moving to the rhythm of Rio.

I saw the film in 3D, and the effects were both excellent and subtle enough to keep the film from falling into overdone 3-D cliches. It's worthwhile wearing the glasses to see this one. have a feeling that you wouldn't miss 3-D if you only purchase the 2-D Blu-Ray, but once you've seen it in 3-D there's simply no going back. On my projector/screen combo, Rio was bright and beautiful with memorable moments throughout. And since the samba beat was the glue that held it all together, a good sound system really pays off.

We never see anyone heading for the gym, but the heroine is in remarkably good physical condition for a gal from Minnesota who runs a barely successful pet store. But, honestly, who cares about such details. It's a fun movie and I can't wait to show it to my grandchildren.
on January 28, 2016
I just thought this was absolutely one of the cutest movies ever made! This movie is about a bird. A very rare blue macaw named Blue. This movie is about Blue and his journey to the country in which he originates. Except Blue is a PET, so being in the wild (especially because he can't fly) is a little tough! There were parts of this movie I definitely found myself laughing out loud. If you're looking for a good movie to pop in and have a night with the kids I'd say GRAB THE POPCORN! I'd watch this movie over again. The kids in my family seem to like this movie and everyone can have a great time!
on August 14, 2011
Minus 1 star for BluRay playback problems!

Thanks Sony. A wonderful movie that we enjoyed in the theaters and a somehow you have found a way to spoil the enjoyment at home (or at least take the luster off the shine).

The DVD playback is great if you don't need the HD version, but Sony's own BluRay format playing on a new and SW updated Sony PS3 Slim (the ideal combination right?) has playback problems! I've read other players have playback problems too, so check the Internet if you haven't checked your system first to see.

On the PS3 it hangs and stutters at random times on the video playback. Audio is always fine and uninterrupted. A query on Google shows me that many others are having the same problem. Luckily there seems to be some solutions. If you have this issue, you need to delete the Rio data (Under Video>BD Data Utility menu on PS3) *and* disable the internet for playback, very convenient (not!). I hope Sony will figure out why their own stuff is broken.

This doesn't seem limited to a certain batch of discs, the bluray .com forum seems to believe it's player specific, so some folks will enjoy the movie in HD without having to bother, most likely if you're not using a Sony player.

This review reflects the problems I've experienced on 8/14 as we watched it together as a family on BluRay. This is for the 3 pack (BluRay,DVD and Digital copy). Save your money and get this on DVD or wait for it streaming.
on July 4, 2012
When this movie was initially released in theaters I must have been asleep for 6 months as I don't recall previewing or hearing anything about it in print or TV ads. When my wife and I acquired a 3-d TV/DVD player the search was on for the latest videos. Honestly, I purchased this movie based entirely on customer reviews. Just about everything submitted by other consumers was very positive, so I made the purchase and all I can say is that the reviews were dead on. RIO is one of our top 5 for many reasons: Great 3-d effects, glorious colors, a story that kept us entertained to the end, a great soundtrack, on and on. This was definitely money well spent and showed me that if I'm on the fence about a future dvd purchase with no knowledge of the content, video quality, or quality of the 3-d effects, customer feedback can indeed be a useful tool.
on July 4, 2015
The movie was wonderful but we had a very difficult time watching it. For some reason the streaming option didn't work for us. I think our internet must have been going in and out. The movie stopped running every 3-4 minutes and had to be restarted and advanced to the point where it had stopped. After about 1.5 hours we had only seen about 30 minutes of the movie so we gave up.
on May 20, 2015
Decent Kid's movie. Better than Rio 2.
I suppose all moms get sick of these sort
of movies after their kids see them three
or four times.
Thankfully Amazon had it for a reasonable
price and ships quickly.
on June 20, 2016
Humor that is too cute not to smile and music worthy of the itunes purchase! (Confession: I get up and dance to the music at the end EVERY. TIME.) My Husband, who served a mission there for 2 years, loves it as well feeling that it has the representation of what Rio has to offer (and yes, he dances at the end with me). I received it very quickly, even though I bought it during the holiday season. Reasonably priced with no use, tears or damages, was definitely worth every cent! And with the included digital copy, I can take it anywhere :).
on February 18, 2013
Blu a domesticated blue Macaw, who was captured as a chick, cannot fly. And you, my fellow cinemaphobes, know that in the end, someway, somehow, Blu will be flying. After some excellent computer-animated features - ICE AGE, HORTON HEARS A WHO, etc - Blue Sky Studios hit a home run on this, their sixth feature. The visual technology here - especially in 3D - is every bit as good as the best from Pixar, DreamWorks and Disney Studios. Beyond the visuals, though, this is just a fun film for the entire family, with a humorous, heartwarming story...the actual rating is G, not PG; Blue Sky was able to get the original rating changed. There is also some top drawer voice acting in this film, by Jesse Eisenberg, as the nerdy, flightless, Blu; Ann Hathaway, as his love interest, Jewel; Leslie Mann as Linda, the owner of Blu; and Rodrigo Santoro as Tulio, who wants to get Blu and Jewel together because they are the last of their species. Also listen for Jamie Foxx as Nico, a canary who looks like Tweetie-Bird; and George Lopez, as Raphael, a Toucan who helps Blu and Jewel. There is plenty of adventure; plenty of romance between Blu and Jewel and Linda and Tulio; and plenty of song and dance numbers to a Brazilian beat...it ain't called RIO for nothing. And since this is a family movie - great for kids and adults of all ages - you know the ending will be a happy one. One of my favorite animated features and I think it will become one of yours too.
on October 29, 2014
This is a very cute movie. I ended up buying this myself (and for my children's library) after watching it myself and seeing the reaction to my 2 year old niece. She LOVES this movie. Before she was 2, she would move her tushy up and down (dancing when she could only crawl) and instantly react/recognize the opening music. She loves the music in the film and will dance. Now at 2, she does dance and is instantly enthralled. I will admit she has attention deficit- this is one of the ONLY movies that will distract her the entire time. Now she also tries to sing along. If she's in another room and hears the music, she'll RUN in a panic towards it in fear that the movie is on and somehow she is missing it. The colors, animation, and story are excellent. It's a great addition to children's media.
on April 18, 2016
Such a cute movie, not just for the family but for adults as well! I watched this movie when I knew that they were coming out with the second one so I could get the background. I found this movie to be lighthearted and perfect for a family night at home. If you want to know more, here is a synopsis found online:
RIO is an animated feature from the makers of the Ice Age films. Set in the magnificent city of Rio de Janeiro and the lush rain forest of Brazil, this comedy-adventure centers on Blu, a rare macaw who thinks he is the last of his kind.