Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating PSFF17_gno

PKD Ripped-off Clifford Simak for this Story

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 27, 2011, 9:06:42 PM PDT
G. Card says:
Something I noticed while watching an episode of The Outer Limits a few years ago, was how similar the story was to Blade Runner. Problem was, this episode came out in 1964, and was based on a short-story by Clifford D. Simak from 1951! I'm surprised that other sci-fi fans haven't discovered this, yet. The episode in question is: "The Duplicate Man", based on the short-story "Goodnight, Mr. James". Check'em for yourself and you'll see the strong similarities. I'm surprised that Simak didn't go after PKD in court for this, as any other author (think Harlan Ellison) surely would've. Just something interesting that I thought I would share. Enjoy!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2011, 11:25:05 PM PDT
Jupiter says:
Could you explain? Based on the Wikipedia article for both the Outer Limits episode and what it quotes about the original Simak story I'm not really sure how this is similar to Blade Runner, or more importantly, <i>Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?</i>. Admittedly, wikipedia is hardly a complete source, nor a totally reliable one, so maybe you can elaborate?

Posted on Nov 1, 2011, 11:01:29 AM PDT
G. Card says:
It's easiest if you just watch the episode "The Duplicate Man". The whole idea of the duplicates, how they must die within so many hours or they will manifest human memories, killing a real human mistaken for a duplicate, etc. Too many similarities for it to be a coincidence.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 16, 2012, 7:46:19 AM PST
The short lifespan was only in the film, not the novel. By that fuzzy standard, you could argue Simak was ripping off Dostoevsky's "The Double."
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  3
Total posts:  4
Initial post:  Jun 27, 2011
Latest post:  Feb 16, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

This discussion is about