Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by Josh Too and the conflicts PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Wonder Woman now available on Blu-ray, 3D, and 4K Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 30 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 35 reviews
on July 24, 2017
Our daughter was in 3rd grade this year and reading this book every night before bed really helped her keep things in perspective. There were times that I was moved to tears at Bethany's words of wisdom. She was able to convey things to my daughter that I just didn't know how to say. I ended up buying 18 copies of the book to give as party favors at our daughter's Soul Surfer themed birthday party. It was a big hit and I've had so many messages from other moms who've said how much they enjoyed reading the book with their daughters.
on March 28, 2017
Using this for a middle school girls' Sunday School group. Great short devotionals. Bethany has an amazing story!
on September 8, 2015
ThIs is my first time writing a review on here but that's because this book is is that good ! I'd rate it 10 stars if I could its written for young women Bethany writes to the reader like your one of her friends and that makes the book enjoyable and an easy read I just got the book and I'm almost finished with it ! I will definitely be buying more of her books !!
on July 20, 2015
Gave this to an eleven year old and she really enjoys this book.
on November 16, 2015
Bought for a friend who's daughter lost her thumb in an accident. Wanted to help encourage her to trust in God through this adjustment time. She absolutely loved the devotional and ended up reading it in a week :) . She is looking forward to reading more of Bethany's books.
on February 17, 2017
My 11 yr old niece loved this book, she enjoyed reading also got her the Bethany Hamilton Body and Soul: A Girl's Guide to a Fit, Fun and Fabulous Life
on February 18, 2016
Excellent choice for a 12 year old! Short, concise readings with a great message. The girl I gave it to especially loved the fact that she has seen the movie Soul Surfer and connected right away with the devotions.
on March 19, 2015
Really great--my daughter & I are really enjoying it. Loved Bethany's movie, story, testimony, etc. Nice companion to these and a great influence since my 13 yo already admired her.
on March 3, 2016
Our girls are doing a devotional group around this book, and it's great! I love Bethany and this book!
on January 24, 2013
Rise Above is a lot of things. It's simple and to the point, and I think it's an excellent testament not only to God's involvement in Bethany Hamilton's life and how this has influenced her but to the fact that she's a wonderful role-model for young girls.

As an adult coming in and reading this book, it was apparent to me that it is definitely more fitting for young girls. This isn't to say that I didn't come away with anything from this devotional. The messages are surprising in their simplicity and can even be eye-opening. I just feel like the overall tone and manner in which everything is conveyed would really resonate with teen girls. Plus, it's not as dauntingly long as the Bible but has just enough quotes from the Bible to where it can be more of an introduction into something much deeper. On a more personal note: I deeply admire Bethany Hamilton for her love for God, her positive attitude, and for the way she handles being in the public eye. Again, I think she's an excellent role-model for young girls, and I love how this book takes numerous important things from the Bible but presents them in a way that is easy to understand.

Each devotional has several parts. The beginning ties in with Bethany's own life and the devotion of the day. The second part is a quote from the Bible, the third is a prayer that ties in with parts one and two, and the last little bit is a "Did You Know?" section, which contains random facts and trivia, often about Hawaii.

Overall: highly recommended