Industrial Deals Beauty MagazinestoInspire STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7, starting at $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite Trade it in. Fund the next. Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 40 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 84 reviews
on February 21, 2017
Love Patty's RISE. I recommended it to 100+ people at my Stanford seminar as a must read for career advancement.

I bought three copies of RISE, one for my son who is a freshman at Berkeley and one for myself and my husband, one for my assistant. I wish Patty wrote this book twenty years ago that I could benefit from her stories, questions, and advice.

Rise provides simple, insightful and practical career advice that are easy to follow. Do Better (have more impact), Look Better (be visible) and Connect Better (get support) have become my new work and life principles.

Rise also provided vivid stories with real business cases along with questions that diagnose complex problems. I used some of them at my office; these questions helped me clarify priorities and made right tradeoffs.

Patty also teaches her readers to define the real purpose and outcome of life. The purpose of life prevents us from wasting time on happy and easy jobs, but rather taking the challenging jobs, learning new skills and making the bigger impact.

Patty also teaches readers to add real value to their jobs and companies, not just wasting time to earn a paycheck. I tried her suggestion in last few months, found out that I forced myself to think about the customers, company and my peer groups first, People appreciate my intention and effort to add value. They are much easier to collaborate. Together we are making bigger impacts.

Patty also teaches readers to think of work and life as mutually reinforcing instead of competition. The story of dinner in a fancy shopping bag with a silk scarf over it demonstrated the happy reinforcement. Many enlighting stories are waiting for you just a beautiful pearls. Enjoy the book!
on March 3, 2014
I'm not a C-level executive, not even close. But this book gave me so much food for thought that I'll be be going over my highlights and bookmarks for months to come. Patty is brilliant at cutting through the misconceptions of what it takes to succeed, and delivering genius tips on how to rethink your work and your career path and get to the next level.

Some of her most helpful insights are about how to get out of "workhorse" mode, where you're running yourself ragged with the day-to-day details of your job, and get "above" the work--viewing what parts of your job are most important in the grand scheme of growing the business, and focusing on those. She's got wonderful insights into managing a team, as well as "playing the game"--and she's savvy, but doesn't advocate dirty politics. Just smart work, emotional intelligence and networking.

These are the things no one is telling you at your job. No one you work with is going to give you the blueprint for growing your career, not in this day and age. Even if you work in an industry where raises are uncommon (even cost of living raises) and promotions seem to be easier by job-hopping, SOMEONE among you and your colleagues will stand out as a top performer. And top performers weather even the toughest economies. So do yourself a favor, and let Patty teach you how to become a top performer.
on June 17, 2017
Yes, everything she writes is true.

When I have acted this way, I have risen. When I haven't I haven't.

Many women in particular will identify with this book and if you are honest with yourself and take its advice, it will help your career.
on June 30, 2017
Simply one of the best books for new leaders/managers that I've read in 30-year career of studying this genre. Accessible, practical, yet grounded in experience and a strong framework. Her book MOVE is equally insightful. This is one of the books I wish I had read 25 years ago. But it still has much to offer to the seasoned leader as well.
on September 24, 2013
After reading his book and applying the info listed to my life I have finally found the courage to be myself find my strengths and use them. It helped me recognize where I was falling short because of simple 'work horse' misconceptions. I also appreciated that the learning didn't stop there! Patty has also been a wonderful mentor! I signed up for her free blogs and have continued to use additional info posted daily. She responds to emails and tweets. It is so refreshing someone like me to be able to read a book that's easy to follow and apply and then also be able to continue to learn by the writer personally! Thanks Patty! You are helping me change my life!
on October 29, 2012
One of my direct reports is transferring to a new office, and as a farewell gift I just gave him a copy of RISE. It's such a pleasure to have one book that encapsulates so much insight into how to grow your career in a way that also makes your life better. I think Patty is dead on with her observations about working at the right level, being visible in the right ways, and realizing that while promotion might depend on success, opportunities to be *considered* for promotion come from relationships. I also have to add that I had the pleasure of meeting Patty at a book signing in the Bay Area, and was pleased (but not surprised) to find that she is a genuine, caring and down to earth person. I wholeheartedly recommend this book.
on May 28, 2013
After seeing Patty's keynote at this year's Marketo conference in San Francisco, I was incredibly motivated and inspired to Do Better, Look Better, and Connect Better. I devoured RISE within a week and it is one of the most valuable books I've read thus far on career development, aspiration, and ambitious pursuits.
Thank you Patty for taking the time to share so many valuable lessons and for writing in such a straight-forward manner.
The book is full of wisdom and common sense strategies that will help you really stand out as a leader.
I purchased this book through my husband's Amazon account.
-leandry estrella
on September 23, 2016
First i don't like to write reviews, and second i had read many books; then i can tell you, that this book it is a great book. if you have problem to rise on your job, buy this book. it is a 100% good book. A lot of positive and practical information. thanks
on December 7, 2014
A great resource for anyone at the middle-management level or higher. I read it as part of a book club, and there is a lot of great content to work through with colleagues.

The one downside: she gives SO much advice very quickly. I think her style oversimplifies how difficult many of these strategies are to implement. But I took very helpful lessons from my reading of it, and have bought this book for friends.
on October 29, 2013
This book is a short cut to 10 years of learning the ropes in office politics, how to think, act and perform like an executive. I simply can't say enough about this book. I bought a hard copy for my 18 yr old daughter and will have my 16 yr old son read it as well. It is that good. There is a life lesson at every turn of the page.