- File Size: 3918 KB
- Print Length: 342 pages
- Simultaneous Device Usage: Unlimited
- Publisher: Acoustical Books LLC (May 6, 2017)
- Publication Date: May 6, 2017
- Sold by: Amazon Digital Services LLC
- Language: English
- ASIN: B071VHZ7L2
- Text-to-Speech: Enabled
- Word Wise: Enabled
- Lending: Enabled
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #10,352 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
Rising Force (Ascension Series Book 5) Kindle Edition
|Length: 342 pages||Word Wise: Enabled||Enhanced Typesetting: Enabled|
|Page Flip: Enabled||
Matchbook Price: $1.99
For thousands of qualifying books, your past, present, and future print-edition purchases now lets you buy the Kindle edition for $2.99 or less. (Textbooks available for $9.99 or less.)
See the Best Books of the Month
Want to know our Editors' picks for the best books of the month? Browse Best Books of the Month, featuring our favorite new books in more than a dozen categories.
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Customers who bought this item also bought
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?
Top Customer Reviews
The story continues with the Drar upgraded human starship and its approaching sentience AI, "Athena," orbiting the Boxan colony world, as the human crew trains with their allies, their CO, "Kaylan," becomes adept at using her "Mardoxian" abilities, and the Boxans increase their "stealthy" attempts at forcing free the Drar tech of "Athena." Further acerbating frictions, the perceived "visions" of Kaylan, of surviving, non-"Xiiginn" infected Boxans, on the Boxan quarantined home world, and her aim, with select Boxans, to rescue the survivors, leads to unilateral actions. Meanwhile, back in Earth's Sol System, competing national governments attempt to form a unified "Earth Coalition Force (EFC)," in order to both build a space based military, with its needed warships and weapons, and work with the Boxan crews, who survived the previous battles with Xiiginns, prior to the "Star Shroud" barrier being turned on. Additionally, the Xiiginns who sacrificed half their warship and crew in Book 4, still remain undiscovered within the "Star Shroud" barrier.
Firstly, the author has succumbed to needless repetition in his writing, repeating descriptions in narratives, and using words over and over (i.e. "...remnants..."). This is a failure of the author and his editor. More onerous is the threadbare plot and plot devices. Where in prior books of the series, a reader could glide over growing small holes and glitches, Mr. Lozito, in his latest book, a reader is forced to make great leaps, suspending basic credulity. The plot and contrived devices do not pass muster. Some examples: the Xiiginns use a pheromone, basically a natural organic bio-weapon, to take control of other species. Some species, such as the Boxans, are especially susceptible, while others, such as humans, are more of a mixed bag. "Rising Force," is the fifth book, yet the author still has not had either the technologically advanced Boxans, nor humans, attempt to develop any defense or offense against their enemies' most demonstrably potent weapon. There is no research into testing, vaccines, antidotes, self-destruct failsafes, or even basic filtering devices. Come on, really? Surveillance drones monitoring the "Shroud" barrier, keep going down in the Sol System. Is there any potential threat analysis, that maybe some Xiiginns might be floating around within the barrier? Nah, of course not. Everything is hunky-dory, no need to fret. [Spoilers Alert] When a mixed human-Boxan shuttle crew are captured by Xiiginns, the humans show no suspicion, take no actions, when confronted by the aberrant behavior of their fellows, after being separated and in contact with the Xiiginns. Huh? An additional "new" moon orbits Earth, yet no mention of the implications of gravitational forces on Earth, the "old" moon, etc. Again, the author just ignores the inanity of plot/plot devices issues, all self-created.
Each reader of SciFi, according to their own personal dictates, allow an author liberties with regard to credulity. For this reader, Mr. Lozito has abused those liberties.
"Rising Force," is not recommended and was fully read via Kindle Unlimited.
Set up an Amazon Giveaway
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Alien Invasion
- Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Cyberpunk
- Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Exploration
- Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > First Contact
- Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Military > Space Fleet
- Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Space Opera
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Alien Invasion
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Cyberpunk
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > First Contact
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Military > Space Fleet
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Space Exploration
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Space Opera