Lyft Industrial Deals Oprah's Book Club Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon victoriaS2 victoriaS2 victoriaS2  Three new members of the Echo family Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Paperwhite Game of Thrones: The Complete Seasons 1-7 now available on Blu-ray and DVD Shop now TG18SW_gno

on September 5, 2016
I've never had a rice cooker before, but I would definitely buy a different brand next time. It definitely does cook rice, but you have to be Johnny-on-the-spot, and as soon as it flips from "cooking" to "warm", you should unplug it right away. I am probably going to cross out "warm" and write in "burns the hell out of" in its place.

I also tossed out the stirring paddle. It is made of a very hard substance, possibly a melamine mix, that will almost certainly damage the non-stick surface very quickly. I also tossed out the measuring cup. I used it once, and filled the cooker to the proper line, but what nonsense. Rice is not that complicated: 2, maybe 2.5 parts water, to 1 part rice. Just don't cook more than 2 full cups of uncooked rice at a time. That adds up to 3 uncooked "cups" by the measuring cup they provide, and that is the maximum that the rice cooker can cook.
This works pretty well but I've found that it still takes a bit of experimentation to get good results, which was kind of my reason for buying this – to take the guess work out of it. I'm still tinkering with exactly how much water to use to avoid rice that's undercooked or a little mushy.

I also thought it was weird that they give you a cup for measuring rice but the units are wrong. One "Rival cup" (as the manual calls them) of rice is actually 3/4 cup. So if you use a real measuring cup to measure out one cup of rice, you will need to fill the cooking pot to about 1-1/3 in order to account for the difference. Bizarre.
on May 2, 2011
If you cook rice on stove top and have never tried a rice cooker, don't hesitate. This is awesome! Cooks perfectly every time. It automatically pops when done, and you can leave it for hours afterward.
I've had mine for 5 years. Although it doesnt perfectly wipe out every time, after soaking just a little it still cleans very easily. I think the 15 bucks I spent for 5 years use is well worth it. (And my husband is Filipino so we make rice a LOT!)
Always use the steamer basket! Although the picture doesnt show it, there is a basket. Even if you are not cooking veggies, it works better with it on. Then it doesn't spit out the top.
Always use double the water to rice. White rice takes 20 minutes, and brown takes 40.
Great for the summer when you don't want the heat of turning on the oven. We bbq, make rice and veggies so there is no cooking in the kitchen!
I have now bought this for 4 other people as gifts and they all love it.
Its very small and compact but makes enough to serve 4.
Comes with the scoop for measuring and the rice paddle. Great deal!
on November 8, 2006
Several hours of my life were wasted pondering what rice cooker to purchase. There are dozen options available and I too was originally getting sucked into the though larger price tag =better rice, how wrong I was. Simple, easy to use, affordable and perfect brown rice on the first try (no easy task). Save your money for Vegas, this is all you need.
11 comment| 152 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on June 27, 2010
In college, my wife picked up this little rice cooker because it was cheap and could make small portions for her. When we were dating, she would make me spanish rice and all sorts of things in there. I moved across the country for a job and thought I'd get a "nicer" big 10 cup rice cooker with lots of bells and whistles. When she came and moved in with me, she hated my rice cooker. It couldn't make spanish rice the way she wanted. It was too big and didn't have the same simple ease of use as this one. She made me go to Target and buy one of these. We still have the big fancy one, but it sits in the back of a cabinet. The rice cooker just broke (won't turn on), so we just ordered two more.

Why is this better than others:
- It is small, which is perfect for one person or a couple. Many larger rice cookers (like the big one we have) don't work for small portions.
- The bowl heats up quickly on the bottom so you can saute in it. This is important for many rice recipes like my wife's spanish rice.
- The steamer is easy to use and add or remove at any time. My big rice cooker also had a steamer, but it sat inside and got very hot. It was difficult to remove without burning yourself. This one sits on top with its own handle so you can just stick it in between the rice and the lid and later remove it whenever you want without burning yourself or disturbing the rice.
- Extremely simple to use. There's a switch. You put the rice in and press the button. No screens, programming, options, nothing, it just works.
- Easy to clean. Stick the bowl and lid in the dishwasher and you're done. Hand washing a rice cooker is a pain, especially if it doesn't have a removable bowl. This one is a piece of cake.

What might be a problem for you:
- It won't cook enough for more than two or three people. If you're feeding a family of four or more, you'll need a bigger rice cooker.
- There's no way to turn it off without unplugging it. We have accidentally left it plugged in a number of times and it remains in the keep warm mode forever.
- May not be the most durable and long lasting. We've only had our for two years, haven't mistreated it, and it stopped working.
- Steamer isn't the greatest. You don't get the best quality steaming from the built in steamer, but I've never found one on a rice cooker that's all that great. Steam on the stove if you really care.

All in all I would strongly recommend this unless it doesn't work for you for one of the following reasons:
- Too many people (it won't feed more than 3)
- You need a delay timer (some fancier ones allow you to put the rice in before you head to work and have the rice cooked and ready 8 hours later)
- You need some other fancy feature (in my opinion anything that doesn't work in something like this you should just do on the stove)
- You hate red (it doesn't come in any other color, maybe you could paint it?)
on May 3, 2017
We've been watching for this on Amazon, husband really wanted one for ease in rice cooking - works great, just the right amount for the two of us (although makes larger quantity if needed). If you are wanting rice cooker, this is it!
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on June 9, 2017
I had the same one from years ago and I was very happy with it. Bought this one to replace the old one but this one was not nonstick and it would burn my bottom rice. I called amazon customer service and they were very nice to refund me without having the item to return back.
on November 13, 2017
I'm disappointed in this rice cooker as the rice always gets burned on the bottom. (a crusty brown layer.) My old Rival rice cooker that I had for 25 years worked great and never scorched the rice. It was a bigger size, so not sure if the size of the rice cooker is why it is burning or if it's just a cheaper quality rice cooker. I wouldn't buy this again.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on June 18, 2017
This is my second Rival Rice Cooker. I replaced my previous one since after many years the inner pot was scratched. I feel this one cooks rice even better. Great for small families. Set it & forget it.
on March 5, 2015
No complaints whatsoever. We love the rice cooker and it is so easy even your husband can use it! Really, it comes with a measuring scoop that has lines on it like 1, 2, 3 that is how much rice you put in. Then the liner of the cooker has lines on it like 1, 2, 3 - that is how much water you put in. Then put the lid on and press the button. That's it!