Hill Climb Racing 2 Vehicles Review Best Books of the Month Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Three new members of the Echo family Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18_gno

Roar! Get Heard in the Sales and Marketing Jungle: A Business Fable
Format: Hardcover|Change

on May 5, 2010
Kevin Daum and Daniel A. Turner have written a fascinating little book that presents a successful philosophy of marketing and sales in a memorable fable. Subtitled "Get Heard in the Sales and Marketing Jungle," this slim volume of 210 pages records a series of (imaginary) dinner meetings between Lenny, who grew up in Livingston, NJ, went to public schools, eventually became a Hassid and follower of Chabad, and Ryan his non-practicing Christian friend and classmate from the "old days." Lenny went on to became a highly successful businessman while his friend Ryan had been doing well, but has been struggling lately as his business was buffeted by the recession. Ryan and Lenny meet up again by chance, after a lapse of some 26 years, and once Ryan gets over the shock of Lenny's new look - a black hat, flowing beard - the works - their friendship is renewed.
Similar to the "four sons" discussed in the Haggadah at the Seder Table, Lenny teaches Ryan about four customers, the Wise Buyer, the Cynical Buyer, the Simple Buyer and the Buyer Unwilling to Ask.
The book includes a tour of some of my favorite Kosher restaurants in New York (only The Prime Grill was missing), and in a way it reminded me of Og Mandino's best-selling 1968 classic guide to a philosophy of salesmanship, The Greatest Salesman in the World.
The essence of the book is summarized in the acronym that forms its title: R.O.A.R. -
* Recognize the type,
* Observe from their perspective,
* Acknowledge concerns, and
* Resolve Needs.
While the essence can be stated standing on one foot - the rest you need to study and learn. Implementing the concepts, however, requires hard work, a team approach, and constant reinforcement until they are thoroughly institutionalized.
At the end of the day, it all boils down to what the authors refer to as "The V. P. of Sales and Marketing," where V. P. stands for Value Proposition, messaging that needs to be clearly thought out and then personalized for maximum effectiveness.

To obtain maximum value from this valuable book, its lessons need to be repeated. As the commentator Rashi taught on Malachi 3:18, one cannot compare a person who reviews his lessons 100 times to one who has reviewed them 101.
on November 28, 2014
Let me start by saying I am NOT employed in Marketing and Sales, but the principles apply to so many things, I wanted to read this book. It presents the concepts in a very understandable format if you are one that enjoys "getting the point" in stories, and I do. You could you these concepts in a lot of human interactions, and you might be able to get more of what you're hoping for. Not a hard read, but definitely will make you think, and think. . . . . and think some more - if you're ready to learn.
on November 1, 2013
I liked that they made this a story more than just a "how to market" type book. However, the story section ended abruptly and left me with a couple of unanswered questions (i.e. why wouldn't Lenny let Ryan ever pick up the bill for lunch? - if you know..please enlighten me :)

But, it's a fast-read and I'm just delving into the final section of the book which is more like a "Here's how it works" section.

I have learned the meaning of ROAR and am already putting it into play for my own business. I feel confident in my approach now and it took me no time to put a Value Proposition together...something that I would have bellyached about before reading this book.
on May 24, 2013
Corny name for my review, I know, but deal with it. This book is awesome for anyone trying to learn, revamp, or retool their sales and marketing strategy. The book is told like a story, and while this isn't Harry Potter, it's a concise and to the point tale told in a refreshingly insightful and empathetic manner. Plus, after the story, there is a section that goes through the concepts discussed in the book, delivering straightforward definitions and further information. Honestly, I learned so much from this book and it's something you can pick up and read in less than a day.
on April 14, 2010
In his inimitable style, Kevin Daum spells it all out in his easy-to-understand and fun-to-read allegory. While the lessons are simple and logical, they are things we often overlook but that can make all the difference between "getting heard" and being ignored. Kevin was able to weave in a gustatory journey while imparting these nuggets of gelt -a testament to his ability to engage his reader. While the story and material kept me glued to the pages and I finished it in one sitting, I was hard pressed not to take a break and run out for some kasha with gravy! In short, this is a must read for anyone looking to stand out in the sales jungle and get a real "taste" of NYC at the same time.
on June 8, 2010
What an entertaining story! ROAR provides a great blue-print for a developing a concise marketing message, and articulates ways in which to identify the type of buyer we're working with -- something that many successful salespeople do but may not have been able to describe in so many words. This book provides tools to help develop and hone those skills.

This is a quick read with practical tips you can start using today. And the restaurant reviews alone at the back of the book are worth the price!
on June 5, 2011
Kevin Daum's Roar is a brillant concept that has changed my business. We used this to underpin and review what we are selling to who. The results were outstanding. If you need to focus on your marketing message then Roar is the book for you.
on September 21, 2012
A good read with good conceptual advice. I use the concepts as a structure for my small business. A great starting point.
on April 29, 2010
Roar makes a thoroughly enjoyable read in style reminiscent of the wonderful The One Minute Manager

I really could not put it down and read it cover to cover in a single morning.

The insights are powerful and relevant and easily digested. The identification and classification of the different buyer types is a must read for anyone who needs to sell and let's face it everyone needs to sell.

The number of times I have encountered the "wise" buyer in my work had me completely resonating with the message and the simple identification of these different buying personalities has already helped me close a new 5 figure deal because it helped me figure our how I was selling in a way that best suited only my own buying style.

I have put Roar on my highly recommended list because it's methods and message proved to be very powerful.

So by now your asking why only three stars? Well the reason is twofold one reason for each star.

Firstly the book and the promotion of it are frankly a bit cheesy so Camus it isn't and I would have had to have docked it a star for that.

Secondly if you have read this far and need more success in you life / work / business then buy Roar because you dear reader are very probably a "wise" buyer, as I am, who likes to read the negative reviews first and you are described in the book and it will likely make a difference to you in your selling style as it did for me despite the hype and hype is always going to cost a book a star.

Kevin may never forgive me for three stars and I hope that you and he will see that a good recommendation on a genuine three star review means I believe in this book for the value it contains and having not been swept up in the hype around it recommend it on what it has provided for me which is better sales.
on April 9, 2010
Great tips for success!

No need to pray for success again.
I'm recommending that anyone involved in sales get religion and learn something new. ROAR! Get heard in the Sales and Marketing Jungle! by Kevin Daum is great. It's a fun parable that uses the 4 sons from the ancient Passover story as examples of the different kinds of buyers sales people will encounter. best of all it is the mnost practical way to deal with people.

The story is colorful and Kevin's characters show how to sell better (while eating at Kosher restaurants all over New York city.)

The ideas in the book have worked for 3500 years so I figure it will be good "Spring training" for the upcoming season.